Using WiFi connectivity for Mavic Pro near "known" WiFi Hotspots
604 6 2019-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

Sometimes you have to learn things the hard way.
I've been using the wifi connectivity for my Mavic Pro when doing short simple flights. I've found it to be quick, but not as precise as using the remote.

Anyway, I was flying (via wifi to my phone -- Google Pixel 3 XL) near my home, which I obviously connect my phone to the house wifi. As I was flying, I selected RTH and immediately after I lost connection with my Mavic Pro. I didn't realize at the time that my phone has automatically switched to the house wifi system until I noticed that the Mavic Pro was just hovering 15 feet above home. I checked my phone, which stated that it had disconnected. After about 5 frustrating minutes, I switched back to the Mavic Pro wifi and it continued its descent.

Lesson learned: Never fly on wifi near hotspots you've connected to in the past.

Just thought I'd share.

PS. I seriously considered getting a ladder and grabbing my Mavic Pro mid-hover. That could've made for a great story!
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Mavic Pro. Please keep your drone away from other Wi-Fi connection to avoid this. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2019-2-6
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-6 12:38
Hi there, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Mavic Pro. Please keep your drone away from other Wi-Fi connection to avoid this. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

Yep. Won't be doing that again.
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-6 15:12
Yep. Won't be doing that again.

Alright, that's good to know. For more updates on our product, please visit our website at www.dji.com. Thank you and have a safe flight.
2019-2-6
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

I don't have a useful commit about the technical side of it but it is amusing n thanks for sharing . im guessing if you hadn't of fix it , it would of auto RTH n landed when the batteries got low
2019-2-9
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

Roy Rogers Posted at 2-9 14:33
I don't have a useful commit about the technical side of it but it is amusing n thanks for sharing . im guessing if you hadn't of fix it , it would of auto RTH n landed when the batteries got low

Probably. But because the wind was blowing and it was hovering mere feet from tree branches, I was anxious to get it down sooner than later.

IF I ever let that happen, and conditions are favorable, I'll let it go and see what happens.
2019-2-9
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-9 16:58
Probably. But because the wind was blowing and it was hovering mere feet from tree branches, I was anxious to get it down sooner than later.

IF I ever let that happen, and conditions are favorable, I'll let it go and see what happens.

I just got anxiety reading bout the branches lol
2019-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules