Longer range wireless control possible?
1848 11 2019-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pligo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I mount my OP in a RC vehicle and would like to be able to steer the camera via Mimo over a longer distance than the standard WiFi allows. Can this be done?
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. In an environment without interference, the distance can reach 50m in 2.4Ghz or 60m in 5.8Ghz. Hope this information would provide clarification in regards to your query. Please let us know if you have other concern. Thank you for understanding.
2019-2-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I can't see how would you extend the range of WiFi transmission ... I gusess is more a matter of monitoring device capability to receive Osmo transmission than anything else. With my iPhone 8 I'm receiving solid transmission at approx. 50 m range. No obstruction between though ...

OP_DIY RC dolly.jpg
2019-2-6
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I would say xiaomi wifi extender is your best bet. It works for Tello, probably will work for OP as well...
2019-2-6
Use props
Pligo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 2-6 21:28
I would say xiaomi wifi extender is your best bet. It works for Tello, probably will work for OP as well...

Thanks, CemAygun,  I tried the Xiaomi but I cant't get it to see the wireless from the OP
2019-2-13
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

What wifi band did you set the OP to? 5 or 2.4 GHz when you tried?
2019-2-13
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

This is something I'm looking into as well. It would be pretty sweet to be able to use the Osmo Pocket with the remote across a football field...
2019-2-13
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

NoëI Posted at 2-13 14:36

That's exactly what I was going to ask. One of my phones also cannot detect OP wireless unless it is set to 2.4 GHz, although the phone (allegedly) supports 5.

A friend of mine borrowed my extender so I cannot check mine until he returns it. Will let you know as soon as he does...
2019-2-13
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

CemAygun Posted at 2-13 18:43
That's exactly what I was going to ask. One of my phones also cannot detect OP wireless unless it is set to 2.4 GHz, although the phone (allegedly) supports 5.

A friend of mine borrowed my extender so I cannot check mine until he returns it. Will let you know as soon as he does...

It's because the OP is using a channel on the 5GHz band which is not allowed in your (many) country(s).
I have the same problem. I believe it's channel 149  (5745Ghz). Your phone does not have this channel.
2019-2-14
Use props
Pligo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

NoëI Posted at 2-13 14:36

2.4ghz,  the Xiaomi doesn't support 5ghz. (But i did try it just in case!)
2019-2-14
Use props
djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ
lvl.2

South Korea

In this case, I hope there is a Mimo app for PC.
From PC we can add better antennas.
2019-2-14
Use props
Pligo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

NorthTexasAerials Posted at 2-13 16:29
This is something I'm looking into as well. It would be pretty sweet to be able to use the Osmo Pocket with the remote across a football field...

With the Xiaomi WiFi Repeater I can control the OP the width of football field provided I have clear line of sight. For tricky situations I put the wireless unit on a pole and connect it to the OP with a one metre cable.
2019-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules