Can the aircraft USB-c socket provide power out?
3786 14 2019-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whaleguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2760564 ft
New Zealand

For photogrammetry I need to power a very lightweight lidar datalogger which draws a few tens of mA. Can the USB-C socket on the bottom right of the aircraft provide 5v power out (as the standard usb spec would imply)?

Cheers, Steve
2019-2-6
Use props
whaleguy
lvl.2
New Zealand

I was hoping for a more "official" response (i.e. from DJI), but yes, I'll give that a go. Thanks Dirty Bird.
2019-2-6
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

My guess is no, the port does provide a small amount of power but that is more to keep the port active and allow data to transfer, is how i understand it
2019-2-6
Use props
whaleguy
lvl.2
New Zealand

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-6 21:17
My guess is no, the port does provide a small amount of power but that is more to keep the port active and allow data to transfer, is how i understand it

Thanks Alphaflight, I'd have thought that to call it usb-c, DJI would have to abide by the usual specs for that port. But maybe not.

I note that the Mavic 2 Enterprise has a separate usb port on the top that provides power for accessories including a speaker, IR camera, or spotlight. Each would draw more power than my datalogger. I was hoping that the M2P's usb-c port could do similarly.

I'll experiment... We'll see!
2019-2-6
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

whaleguy Posted at 2-6 21:28
Thanks Alphaflight, I'd have thought that to call it usb-c, DJI would have to abide by the usual specs for that port. But maybe not.

I note that the Mavic 2 Enterprise has a separate usb port on the top that provides power for accessories including a speaker, IR camera, or spotlight. Each would draw more power than my datalogger. I was hoping that the M2P's usb-c port could do similarly.

I mean, I never tried it, so let us know how it works out!
2019-2-6
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I wound not do it anyway.   All the avionics (battery life calculations etc) will not take into account you pulling out any power.   If the power requirements are as low as you suggest then use your own power source.

Keeping things separate is a Good  Idea (tm)  because should anything go  wrong with your device and it somehow shorts out the USB socket  best case you need to get the USB repaired/Replaced and worse case the drone replaced.   As mentioned above am external  power drain, even if it does not damage the USB  could really screw up some of the calculations  and operation of the drone.

Conversely should anything happen with the drone it could damage your system.

BTW "just plug it in and see" will *probably* be OK but if it blows the USB socket......  Ask DJI first.

Just out of curiosity: What is the Lidar data logger you are using?

2019-2-8
Use props
whaleguy
lvl.2
New Zealand

JAgraphics Posted at 2-8 10:09
I wound not do it anyway.   All the avionics (battery life calculations etc) will not take into account you pulling out any power.   If the power requirements are as low as you suggest then use your own power source.

Keeping things separate is a Good  Idea (tm)  because should anything go  wrong with your device and it somehow shorts out the USB socket  best case you need to get the USB repaired/Replaced and worse case the drone replaced.   As mentioned above am external  power drain, even if it does not damage the USB  could really screw up some of the calculations  and operation of the drone.

Hi JA graphics. Thanks for your thoughts. We fly two Inspire 1 Pros with a lidar datalogger that we designed and built (see http://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2017.00366). For that we use an external battery, mostly for the reasons you give. But the I1P is much bigger and more powerful, and can handle the extra weight no problem.

Seeing the accessories for the Mavic 2 Enterprise - which pull power out of a separate usb port on to of the aircraft - made me think that it might be possible to pull power out of the M2P's usb port. It's worth considering...

As for getting an official view from DJI, I totally agree. I had hoped that a DJI rep would answer this post. Maybe they still will. I hope so.
2019-2-9
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

whaleguy Posted at 2-9 16:50
Hi JA graphics. Thanks for your thoughts. We fly two Inspire 1 Pros with a lidar datalogger that we designed and built (see http://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2017.00366). For that we use an external battery, mostly for the reasons you give. But the I1P is much bigger and more powerful, and can handle the extra weight no problem.

Seeing the accessories for the Mavic 2 Enterprise - which pull power out of a separate usb port on to of the aircraft - made me think that it might be possible to pull power out of the M2P's usb port. It's worth considering...

makes a lot of sense but I would still prefer to use a separate small battery. On the  Mavic's they only need a 20 minute life anyway.  so a rechargeable button cell you can swap out?  

If it needs more umpff  (an engineering technical term) than a small button cell then it will drain the UAV battery and you are looking at shorter flight times.

When can we expect to see your Lidar kit on Amazon or eBay  ? :-)
2019-2-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

omg, i been dying to add Lidar to my drone for reasons beyond me.. one of those things my need and purpose of it is either unclear or unfounded but i need it..so i can have it and ....uhm..havent worked out whats next.     like adding  attachments to your rifle..   well sorta...  i mean there is a limit....unless your into this

tacticool-ar-15-1024x485.jpg
2019-2-10
Use props
djiuser_ao3J9JmgQY40
New
Flight distance : 16194 ft
Kazakhstan

So, no answer still? Id tried to plug in my phone, but no success...
2021-1-20
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It doesn't.
DJI have effectively put a USB-C style connector on a USB-3 bus.  As a result it doesnt support power delivery (or in fact USB-C at all looking at the data).

Its a USB3 with a USB-C plug.  Smart controller is the same.
2021-1-21
Use props
whaleguy
lvl.2
New Zealand

gnirtS Posted at 1-21 07:17
It doesn't.
DJI have effectively put a USB-C style connector on a USB-3 bus.  As a result it doesnt support power delivery (or in fact USB-C at all looking at the data).

Awesome. Thank you! We decided to use a small external battery anyway, so that everything is kept separate from the aircraft's power.
2021-1-21
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure about the aircraft, but the battery itself can, via the USB adapter
2021-1-22
Use props
xagoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

DarthSLR Posted at 1-22 07:10
Not sure about the aircraft, but the battery itself can, via the USB adapter

It can act as a powerbank with the adapter, but not while flying. The project here is to power the accessory during flight.
2021-1-22
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

xagoras Posted at 1-22 23:35
It can act as a powerbank with the adapter, but not while flying. The project here is to power the accessory during flight.

Oh, I see. Well, I guess you’d have to add a few CR batteries to your design.
2021-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules