RTH setting from boat
6997 28 2019-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

What RTH settings do u use when flying from your boat ?
2019-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Mavic Pro Only please
2019-2-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't have a boat and don't think I would fly from it if I did.  However, if I was willing to risk flying from a boat I would set it for hover so I could get to it before letting it down for a hand catch at best.
2019-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Yes sir ! I agree and have in fact done that with my P3S but with my Mavic But, I have been hearing about RTH by dynamic follows the controller. Which I have never believed this to be true. But I'm always open to new ways .
PS flying from a boat is not difficult, it's just when a RTH kicks
in I'd like to know where it's going.  Thanks for your response
2019-2-7
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Select hover in RTH settings if you fly from a boat

Fly safely
Alex
2019-2-8
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 605466 ft
United Kingdom

flying off while at anchor

flying off while at anchor

hover as suggested and use the position of the hand set,  then if connection is lost it will hover at the last known position, rather than zooming back to the flight start.
Just be careful though, steel boat = compass errors. Mast rigging can be problematical as well.
The early morning shadows help as a reminder. Anchored near Inward Rocks  Severn Estuary UK

2019-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Salmonslayer Posted at 2-7 21:14
Yes sir ! I agree and have in fact done that with my P3S but with my Mavic But, I have been hearing about RTH by dynamic follows the controller. Which I have never believed this to be true. But I'm always open to new ways .
PS flying from a boat is not difficult, it's just when a RTH kicks
in I'd like to know where it's going.  Thanks for your response

You cannot select hover in RTH , you can only select hover in event of lost signal, so you would only have a problem with RTH if you go to low or critical battery, or you just hit RTH , I suggest you always prepare to land your drone with 50% battery.
2019-2-8
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2-8 07:46
You cannot select hover in RTH , you can only select hover in event of lost signal, so you would only have a problem with RTH if you go to low or critical battery, or you just hit RTH , I suggest you always prepare to land your drone with 50% battery.

Hi, so if I did select hover , that would mean it would only Hover, if signal was lost / disconected.
What would happen if I activated RTH in Hover ??????
2019-2-8
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Yachtsman Posted at 2-8 07:32
[view_image]
hover as suggested and use the position of the hand set,  then if connection is lost it will hover at the last known position, rather than zooming back to the flight start.
Just be careful though, steel boat = compass errors. Mast rigging can be problematical as well.

Thanks for response Yachtsman,
I have a fiberglass power boat with a aluminum radar arch and stainless steel rod holders , so its my understanding these metals should not interfere with the drone. What do you think ?
2019-2-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Salmonslayer Posted at 2-8 09:15
Hi, so if I did select hover , that would mean it would only work if signal was lost / disconected.
What would happens if I activated RTH  ??????

"What would happens if I activated RTH  ??????"

It would return to home as commanded, and that could be where it took off from, or the aircraft or RCs current position if you have manually updated the home point.

Might also be a good idea to go into the battery settings and disable 'Smart return-to-home'. If not disabled then the aircraft would head to the last set 'home point', if it thought the battery only had enough power remaining to get to that home point.
2019-2-8
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I would check each compass output to make sure it is in the nominal range, or like it usually reads when you check your compass outputs prior to other flights.
2019-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Salmonslayer. Thank you for the inquiry. We are not recommending you to fly your drones above the sea especially if it's on low altitude over the water surface, I'm afraid that your aircraft will recognize the first location when the aircraft took off and it greatly reduces your emergency landing area. The DJI Mavic Pro might land to in the sea since the boat is moving. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-2-8
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

use dynamic homepoint in settings

2019-2-8
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Salmonslayer Posted at 2-8 09:20
Thanks for response Yachtsman,
I have a fiberglass power boat with a aluminum radar arch and stainless steel rod holders , so its my understanding these metals should not interfere with the drone. What do you think ?

Dont forget the engines, unless alloy.

the magnetic sensitivity has definitely sharpened in the 18 months I have had the drone., so would recommend starting from being anchored, and working up.
2019-2-9
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2-8 09:23
"What would happens if I activated RTH  ??????"

It would return to home as commanded, and that could be where it took off from, or the aircraft or RCs current position if you have manually updated the home point.

Good point ... I will be planning to start fly back to boat at min 40 % at only about 200 ft away and about 75 ft in the air.
2019-2-9
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

What do you guys think

I will be flying a min height of 50 feet at all times and a min of 100 ft from boat. I am considering disabling the smart return in the battery settings since i will be returning at all times with the battery at a min of 40%. I think the best setting for RTH will be on the remote , with the home point updated manualy every
couple of min.  Any other suggestions I should consider regardings a disconnect or RTH issue
2019-2-9
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dont forget the GPS accuracy is much poorer with phone derived positions, so be ready to move the boat to get the drone back..

I know this from using a chart program and ships position indicated by an AIS receiver and the phone at the same time.  Phone updates less frequently and has more position drift.
2019-2-11
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
Germany

From what others have already said, and what I know, I don't believe there is a foolproof way to set RTH from a boat. (You're a moving target for the Mavic).

If you really want to, or you must fly from a boat, I would use dynamic homepoint in settings as recommended and avoid letting the battery go below 50%, keeping it LOS close, in order to give yourself the best chance of landing safely.

PS... My brother got some amazing photos taking off from a houseboat before his Mavic to a "swim"! He's still debating if the photos are worth the loss.

Happy flying!
2019-2-11
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

its the only reason I bought the drone, no different then flying off a cliff or over water while sitting on a beach. I do a ton of water sports and this is only a way to get a shot. Thinking your brother must have played chicken (letting the battery run low) or had a failure that would have made him crash anyway. Would be interested in knowing what happened though ...... And Happy , Safe flying to you to !
2019-2-12
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Yachtsman Posted at 2-11 11:02
Dont forget the GPS accuracy is much poorer with phone derived positions, so be ready to move the boat to get the drone back..

I know this from using a chart program and ships position indicated by an AIS receiver and the phone at the same time.  Phone updates less frequently and has more position drift.

Thanks , never realized it, will have to look at my instrumentation when on the boat
2019-2-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Salmonslayer Posted at 2-9 09:47
What do you guys think

I will be flying a min height of 50 feet at all times and a min of 100 ft from boat. I am considering disabling the smart return in the battery settings since i will be returning at all times with the battery at a min of 40%. I think the best setting for RTH will be on the remote , with the home point updated manualy every

Well disconnect is simple hover, RTH if Aircraft goes into RTH you only need to X it and it will hover so same as loss of signal , just always keep craft in VLOS
2019-2-12
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Netherlands

dynamic homepoint just google and look at some video's showing how it works, every 15 mtr homepoint will be updated.
On your device use location mode to GPS only for accurate position.
You can always manually update homeposition in settings of the GOapp during flight before landing. (RED ARROW)

2019-02-13_07-55-11.jpg
2019-2-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MavSpa_user Posted at 2-12 22:49
dynamic homepoint just google and look at some video's showing how it works, every 15 mtr homepoint will be updated.
On your device use location mode to GPS only for accurate position.
You can always manually update homeposition in settings of the GOapp during flight before landing. (RED ARROW)

"dynamic homepoint just google and look at some video's showing how it works, every 15 mtr homepoint will be updated."

And it can only use 'dynamic home point' when in active track mode, where the aircrafts current position is updated, from page 19 of Mavic Pro manual:-

Dynamic home point - Copy.PNG
2019-2-13
Use props
NiBrest
lvl.3
Belarus

I think, the best way is manual landing. RTH settings - hover.
2019-2-13
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

So it looks like if I use the Active Track ,best is to set RTH
to Hover. Since I will be only tracking at no more than
40 ft. I will also set the RTH height to 50 feet and will also disable the low battery return. I will make sure to returning to the boat with a min 50 % battery. If the RTH is activated and starts taking off I can always cancell it and it should Hover.
2019-2-13
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Netherlands

I have fly multiple times, sometimes i had a lost signal, my settings were dynamic homepoint on and hover option, rth height set to 70 mtr.
be aware what you have to do , ask yourself the question what if....
It happen me a lot that active track lost his track, be sure also that your transmitter face the AC, when 3 sec no signal, mavic goes in RTH.  try to make connection again, facing the transmitter to the mavic, close your drone with the boat , Update then your own position(see message 22, red arrow), stop the boat. change your antenna's to horizontal when you are direct under your mavic. retrieve mavic

fly safe

2019-2-13
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MavSpa_user Posted at 2-13 23:35
I have fly multiple times, sometimes i had a lost signal, my settings were dynamic homepoint on and hover option, rth height set to 70 mtr.
be aware what you have to do , ask yourself the question what if....
It happen me a lot that active track lost his track, be sure also that your transmitter face the AC, when 3 sec no signal, mavic goes in RTH.  try to make connection again, facing the transmitter to the mavic, close your drone with the boat , Update then your own position(see message 22, red arrow), stop the boat. change your antenna's to horizontal when you are direct under your mavic. retrieve mavichttps://youtu.be/QJ64Dl3VDzs

Ah I so love the Netherlands for boating. Your film brought  back so many happy memories.

I take it that is some where up north?

Great film, wouldnt  take the risk of flying so low to the boat or was that bit hand held? A I have used the drone as a stable platform and filmed without motors running .
2019-2-14
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Netherlands

yeah handheld gopro 5 session, in the movie you see where I lost contact, I sailed under the drone, I got lost signal, Mavic start to go rth. At that point I realized the homepoint was 2 km away.
I stopped the boat, setting RC to the Mavic try to regain signal, The Mavic flew away to recorded homepoint. Then I go to settings and activate new homepoint(message 22 red arrow).
The Mavic returns so I land. It was a good lesson to use dynamic homepoint on.
2019-2-14
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Hey MavSpa_user, Great to get a response from someone who does lots of water droning !
You said your settings were "dynamic home point  on' and "Hover"
So I am correct in assuming that when you lose connection the Mavic is suppose to Hover and not go to any prior home point ?
If correct then whats the reason for having "dynamic home point on" ?
Thanks
2019-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules