Flying over open water
1680 27 2019-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

How many of you would feel entirely comfortable to fly out around 2 miles out over open sea?

We have what looks like an oil rig platform about that distznce offshore.

Its tempting but I am honest ... I will be nervous.
2019-2-8
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I fly to about 5 km out to sea without any issues with my Mavic Pro

Fly safely
Alex
2019-2-8
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I am sure it could be done easily. Personally, I would probably need something to calm my nerves before I attempt that, even something VERY strong.
2019-2-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2-8 01:48
I am sure it could be done easily. Personally, I would probably need something to calm my nerves before I attempt that, even something VERY strong.
I know. The thought of having $1500 dollars worth of drone sitting on the sea bed is not exactly enticing.

Perhaps I should trust the equipment more
2019-2-8
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

As you are UK based REGISTER THE FLIGHT on the CAA /NATS app a few days BEFORE you intend to fly.  

If there are any problems I suspect you will get a phone call.  Oil rigs and other platforms are sensitive to UAV's and unauthorised surveillance.  They worry about terrorists, environmental direct action groups etc. etc et  also it may not be an oil rig.   

You say "around 2 miles"   I would fix that precisely. Usual triangulation methods from two known points on the shore  mile apart should be good.         

Might be an idea to phone the local coastguard. two reasons.  
1 Weather.   wind on the beach is not the same as weather 2 miles out,
2 They would be able to tell you if there will be any problems with you flying out to look at it.

Re weather I have sen several videos of drone flights over sea and they pilot has discovered on the way back there is suddenly a head wind and  flying back drains the battery a LOT more than on the way out.  

Better to make 2 or 3 flights and land with power inthe batter than go for 1 flight were it doers not make it back to shore.

BTW just out of curiosity, where is it?
2019-2-8
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Flown Spark 1.5km out over the sea in FCC mode.... no winds, tho....
Since, I only fly drones I can afford to lose, I am completely comfortable with it.

Also flown Inspire 2 almost 4km out to the sea... gentle breeze... but that was a rental with an insurance so I was also very comfortable.

2019-2-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JAgraphics Posted at 2-8 03:01
As you are UK based REGISTER THE FLIGHT on the CAA /NATS app a few days BEFORE you intend to fly.  

If there are any problems I suspect you will get a phone call.  Oil rigs and other platforms are sensitive to UAV's and unauthorised surveillance.  They worry about terrorists, environmental direct action groups etc. etc et  also it may not be an oil rig.   
Good advise. I had the conversation about environmental group threads and the oil platform with a friend.

It's off the Bournemouth/UK coast.

Probably this one ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17383696.amp/
2019-2-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bear in mind that the rig most likely has a helicopter landing pad, and potentially helicopters departing and arriving at low altitude, its perhaps best avoided.

There was also an incident recently in UK (the first conviction of this type) where the multirotor operator was prosecuted for:-

"was found guilty of failing to maintain direct, unaided visual contact with a small unmanned aircraft and flying a small unmanned aircraft when not reasonably satisfied that the flight can be safely made.". Which cost them £464 and loss of aircraft.

So in answer to your original question I would have to say that I wouldn't feel comfortable flying that far over open water for the above reasons. Other than that I've often flown shorter distances over water without any problem.
2019-2-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2-8 03:53
Bear in mind that the rig most likely has a helicopter landing pad, and potentially helicopters departing and arriving at low altitude, its perhaps best avoided.

There was also an incident recently in UK (the first conviction of this type) where the multirotor operator was prosecuted for:-
Good point about the heli pad. Thanks.
2019-2-8
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 2-8 03:45
Good advise. I had the conversation about environmental group threads and the oil platform with a friend.

It's off the Bournemouth/UK coast.

from the link "Campaigners against the drilling, which is expected to last around 40 days, are planning a protest on Bournemouth beach on Saturday[."

Police and any other security type people inthe area will assume your drone is part of a direct action environmentalist group. after it is out of VLOS (ie about 500 m )  you might find it inexplicably falls inthe water.

Since Gatwick there are a lot of agencies who would like t test out anti drone systems.  Some are not legally deployable in the UK  however   at a mile out to sea who is going to know?   Look at this forum there are plenty of DJI drones fall out of the sky as it is.  

As there are protests on I would call the coast guard and if they say "we would not advise it"  I would not do it.  If you do register the flight FIRST  and a day or two before.  Unless you ave several drones you can afford to loose :-)

BTW you have to post any footage "your friend" gets on here!
2019-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day *DM*. Thank you for the inquiry. Please do no fly closely above reflective surfaces such as water or snow as these terrains may affect the performance of the vision positioning system. For additional reference I will be posting the link where you can find the User Manual for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... er_Manual_v1.8_.pdf
2019-2-8
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-8 10:05
Hello and good day *DM*. Thank you for the inquiry. Please do no fly closely above reflective surfaces such as water or snow as these terrains may affect the performance of the vision positioning system. For additional reference I will be posting the link where you can find the User Manual for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

[view_image]

That's a good point.   Also over the sea there can be spray at low level which can affect the electronics.
So best to be well clear of the water anyway,  
2019-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

JAgraphics Posted at 2-8 11:04
That's a good point.   Also over the sea there can be spray at low level which can affect the electronics.
So best to be well clear of the water anyway,

Hello and good day JAgraphics. Thank you for giving out this additional informative information and thank you for your support. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-2-8
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

No thanks, not with my $1500 bird.
2019-2-8
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would get closer if possible. I fly over water but the ocean is different. some unpredictable things can happen.
2019-2-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-8 10:05

[view_image]

Yes agree but what is assumed to be a safe height over reflective surfaces and water by DJI?
2019-2-9
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-8 21:45
I would get closer if possible. I fly over water but the ocean is different. some unpredictable things can happen.

Indeed.

The platform will be ankered in Poole Bay.

I wait til then as it is much closer and will likely inform the coast guard and perhaps even the owners of the proposed flight.
2019-2-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

So lets get this right, you intend to inform the coastguard and the owners that you intend to violate the ANO and perform an illegal drone flight in their area?  That doesn't seem like a great idea.

Even if it was legal platforms can have fairly high power marine (and sometimes weather) radars which can easily cause interference if you fly too close - especially S band devices.  That and potential helicopter activity in the area.
2019-2-9
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2-9 06:23
So lets get this right, you intend to inform the coastguard and the owners that you intend to violate the ANO and perform an illegal drone flight in their area?  That doesn't seem like a great idea.

Even if it was legal platforms can have fairly high power marine (and sometimes weather) radars which can easily cause interference if you fly too close - especially S band devices.  That and potential helicopter activity in the area.
Why would the flight be illegal?

Where would I violate the ANO?

Could you kindly quote the relevant article and/or provide links?

I am genuinely interested. Like I said, I obey laws so your pointers would be of great interest.

Thank you.
2019-2-9
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

I don't know why, but your post reminded me of this video I saw...

...not something I would do. But, I concur with JAgraphics; would love to see the video.
2019-2-9
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown out 4+ miles out to sea
2019-2-9
Use props
whaleguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2760564 ft
New Zealand

At least where I fly (New Zealand) any flight beyond unassisted visual range (i.e. you must be able to see the UAV with the naked eye) is currently illegal. And nervousness about terrorism is fair (and justified). I would do it only with permission, or, if you mission is "protest" oriented, at least tell them first.

As for flying over the ocean, we do it all the time. It's not a problem if weather is good, and you are not too low. Turn off visual positioning. Make sure you have good gps, and a good compass calibration. If you are going to fly very close to any large steel object - it will affect your compass.
2019-2-9
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2-9 12:08
I've flown out 4+ miles out to sea

Just messin here....but it didn't happen with pics or video!!!   Neener NEENER

This is about 1500m    Took a little while to get there going over half throttle........AND YES,  it can get yer panties IN A BUNCH  ( concentrate on your telemetry and the on screen scene.....NOT where you ARE.

KNOW the max height of the rig, and set your RTH altitude to 25m above that!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Randy
2019-2-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 2-9 07:04
Why would the flight be illegal?

Where would I violate the ANO?

You are unable to maintain a constant, visual line of sight on the aircraft (violation) and are unable to guarantee safety of flight and separation/deconfliction for that reason.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... onal-drone-flights/

Article 94 (3) of the 2018 Air Navigation Order to be specific about line of sight in the full CAP document.

Its a criminal offence.
2019-2-9
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2-9 19:09
You are unable to maintain a constant, visual line of sight on the aircraft (violation) and are unable to guarantee safety of flight and separation/deconfliction for that reason.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/
Morning.

The platform is apparently ankered some 4 miles off the coast.

This precludes getting there and as you correctly pointed out, is out of line of sight.

My impression was the platform would be positioned in the actual bay of Poole which would have made an approach within law more reasonable.

Shame, I was looking forward to that.

Thanks for the info and reminding me/everyone of flying law. Its easy to forget in the excitement. My guess is that many here will have to take a step back ever so often ... looking at some of the videos posted.
2019-2-10
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

whaleguy Posted at 2-9 17:05
At least where I fly (New Zealand) any flight beyond unassisted visual range (i.e. you must be able to see the UAV with the naked eye) is currently illegal. And nervousness about terrorism is fair (and justified). I would do it only with permission, or, if you mission is "protest" oriented, at least tell them first.

As for flying over the ocean, we do it all the time. It's not a problem if weather is good, and you are not too low. Turn off visual positioning. Make sure you have good gps, and a good compass calibration. If you are going to fly very close to any large steel object - it will affect your compass.

Thank you. The law in the UK is the same, within line of sight.
2019-2-10
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

More people will be a bit more cagey about vids on youtube now the police have more power regarding drone prosecutions. Easy thing to do is split your video up into sections, that doesnt show you flying more than 500 metres estimated before you break to another shot. They cannot prove then that you flew more than 500m. Probably as stated if that rig has a helicopter platform, best to leave well alone. As regards distance, Ive flown over water in other countries for 11 kilometer flights, 5.5 out and 5.5 back with no problems, stay above 60 meters, and preferable above 75 and you shouldnt have any positioning sensor errors.
2019-2-11
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The issue with Heli Pads is that they are relatively widespread and may not always have a no-fly exclusion as far as I know.

They are widely used at Hospitals, some private land and even Football Stadiums.

Air Ambulances can land at any suitable point at any time.

I personally use Flight radar 24 to inform myself of any flights . This is easily done during a flight but it still does not rule out a potential conflict.

2019-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules