Danger of drones
1048 12 2019-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I just had a lovely, relaxing cappuccino in my local Costa and overheard a conversation next to me about someone flying a drone filming near us. It started as admiration about the technicalities but then descended into how potentially dangerous they are.

I didnt say anything but to my knowledge no one was ever killed by a non-military drone, ever.

I may be wrong there but the only reported death because of a suspected drone was this one

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/drones-fatal-road-accident-first-non-military-drone-death-accident-car-crash-surveillance-safety-a7180576.html%3famp

2019-2-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

... and even that is unconfirmed.

There are probably more folks dying because of banana skins on walkways.
2019-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hahahaha - there was a time when 'intelligent' people thought they would internally combust if they got in a car and drove faster than 6MPH lol Not to mention that the most experienced and finest Doctors thought that smoking was the best way to alleviate stress! Some people are just simple - take it with a pinch of salt.
2019-2-8
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes it is HIGHLY dangerous.  Look in the forums for people who have lost drones, had drones crash etc etc    the DJI drones are consumer level and can be affected by very many things unexpectedly which is why the CAA drew up Drone Safe. https://dronesafe.uk   and  by the sound of it the drone was flying illegally.

It is that sort of behaviour that leads local councils to ban ALL drone flights without a (paid for on  a per flight basis) license *IF* they approve the flight.

So yes the flight was dangerous on multiple levels
1 Illegal
2 dangerous as it could loose control (lots of sources of powerful RF in urban areas)  
3 Due to 1 the pilot would not be insured. Getting sued for damages is expensive.
4 IT will cause The Authorities to get ever more stricter laws and bigger fines,
2019-2-8
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

JAgraphics Posted at 2-8 03:22
Yes it is HIGHLY dangerous.  Look in the forums for people who have lost drones, had drones crash etc etc    the DJI drones are consumer level and can be affected by very many things unexpectedly which is why the CAA drew up Drone Safe. https://dronesafe.uk   and  by the sound of it the drone was flying illegally.

It is that sort of behaviour that leads local councils to ban ALL drone flights without a (paid for on  a per flight basis) license *IF* they approve the flight.
Hi

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have no doubt the potential for danger is there and I am all for sensible regulation and obeying laws.

Luckily, these seem relatively reasonable here in the UK as we speak and I hope this wont change in the future (although I would be ok with a 3km no-fly zone around airports).

What p****s me off is the one sided media coverage which changes peoples perception and could force Authorities/Gouverments into making knee-jerk decisions just to be seen to do something to appease voters.
2019-2-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day *DM*. Thank you for sharing this link with us today. Let us all be responsible drone owners and fly our drone safely always. Thank you.
2019-2-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2-8 01:37
Hahahaha - there was a time when 'intelligent' people thought they would internally combust if they got in a car and drove faster than 6MPH lol Not to mention that the most experienced and finest Doctors thought that smoking was the best way to alleviate stress! Some people are just simple - take it with a pinch of salt.

Hahahahahaha.
Good point!
2019-2-8
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

' I am all for sensible regulation'
The problem with that sort of thing is who gets to decide what is sensible? The people flying stupid and/or illegally will still fly stupid and/or illegally. The only folks that will be hurt are those of us that follow the rules.
2019-2-8
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

While flying electric helicopters, there was a young man, who was a very good flyer of them, he was flying one, the rotor blade hit him in the head and he is no longer with us,.  Things like flying craft, as well as many other things, can be dangerous depending on the handler and circumstances, a little caution goes a long way.  WATCCH THOSE BLADES.
2019-2-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Good grief!  Linking of unconfirmed sighting of a drone to a car crash.  A car crash that was more than likely result of police following car, and driver trying to ellude police.  

Story reads like police are looking for a scapegoat.  Somebody better start asking police what more was going on.

2019-2-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

*DM* Posted at 2-8 03:57
Hi

Thanks for your thoughts.

one sided media coverage which changes peoples perception and could force Authorities/Gouverments into making knee-jerk decisions just to be seen to do something to appease voters.

Joseph Goebbels and Rahm Emanuel, nod in approval.
Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will. - J.G.
You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before. - R.E.

2019-2-8
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-8 21:18
Good grief!  Linking of unconfirmed sighting of a drone to a car crash.  A car crash that was more than likely result of police following car, and driver trying to ellude police.  

Story reads like police are looking for a scapegoat.  Somebody better start asking police what more was going on.

ya no fking link there...
2019-2-8
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

what the actual f*ck?  not even remote connection there.. 2 separate investigations.. drone near prison (alleged sighting, not confirmed) and suspicious activity..Media: DRONE KILLS LADY!

police arriving investigating a drone near a prison... they started pursuing a lady on unrelated issue, she was leaving as they were entering (suspicion)...lady crashes and kills herself....media blames the drone....cuz her car killed her?
2019-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules