AirMap showing drones location on the map?!
1263 3 2019-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello pilots,

So I decided to try AirMap, and I logged on and was ready to connect my M2P. But I noticed that on the map there are icons that if you click on you’ll see the current location and number of drones and flights. If you keep zooming in, you’ll be able to see the exact location. I’ve tested this with a few locations and I was able to see exactly where they’re flying.

Check the photos. I did not include the ones where I zoomed in to see the exact location (for the sake of privacy) but I think every AirMap user will be able to see it.

Does anyone know how this is possible? Am I getting it wrong? I hope so. But If I’m not then this is a huge privacy concern.

AirMap 1.jpg
AirMap 2.jpg
2019-2-9
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello! I am not too well versed in the ways of airmap but I believe this is just showing people how setup missions in the app itself, which reports your location and activities. I personally never used it, I use Skyward.io since it's less frustrating than airmap, but maybe someone with more experience than I can pipe up and tell us how this works
2019-2-9
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-9 11:11
Hello! I am not too well versed in the ways of airmap but I believe this is just showing people how setup missions in the app itself, which reports your location and activities. I personally never used it, I use Skyward.io since it's less frustrating than airmap, but maybe someone with more experience than I can pipe up and tell us how this works

That's exactly what I am referring to, reporting the location and activity in public. I have not heard of Skyward.io, I will check it. Thank you, AlphaFlightNW!
2019-2-9
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I found out that flight information is publicly available by default and you can turn it off in the settings.
2019-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules