FPV flying restrictions - B-a-a-a-a Humbug!
603 14 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
walttheartist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46696 ft
Canada

Some jurisdictions have a strict rule about no FPV drone flying unless you obtain a special permit. In Canada, a pilot holding a Basic Pilot Flying Certificate must fly using “Visual Line Of Sight” only. FPV (Goggles) may only be used by a second person, leaving the pilot to keep a visual tab on the aircraft — even if it is just a tiny speck two or three blocks away. There are no restrictions on how far away you can fly your speck.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have never flown with my Goggles RE, but I hope to one day. I guess I’m not looking at this too deeply, and there must be solid reasons for the restriction, but it begs a further explanation. It makes no sense to an imaginative crop duster like me.

For example, when a person flies a real aircraft, their position in the pilot’s seat is actually FPV, right? Of course right! There’s no two ways about it. They can look left and look right, and up and down to a certain degree. All visual flying and navigation is done using eyesight, a compass and geographical features. This is the way you fly VFR, and it is obviously considered safe.

Why then is flying a Drone using FPV Goggles any different? The RPAS pilot is virtually in the same cockpit situation as a real pilot. In effect, when we use goggles, we’ve virtually shrunk ourselves down to the size of a miniature person sitting in the cockpit of the Drone — a little poetic but true. How then can this be more dangerous than actually flying? The Mavic 2 has a gimballed camera, and when used with goggles, can be swivelled around with head movement, giving the RPAS pilot as much visual acuity, continuity and awareness as a real pilot. Personally I think it is as safe or safer to fly this way than keeping eyeballs on a speck in the sky.

I tried to get a pilot’s license when I was younger but unfortunately couldn’t afford to complete the lessons. I tried to join the RCAF and would have made flight crew easily if it weren’t for my lack of a diploma. I bought the Mavic 2 Pro/Goggle RE kit because I though I could finally experience the thrill of flying before I flew off to Valhalla. Then, after laying down my coin-of-the-realm, I ran smack into the FPV restrictions. An absolute downer (1960s term) to say the least.

I’m looking forward to a repeal of this restriction someday when the authorities are more enlightened and give the situation deeper consideration. I hope it comes sooner than later… before I fly across the River Styx for real.

2019-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

One difference is that unlike a DJI consumer a beginner pilot doesn't fly by him/herself at the beginning, and has to have many hours under their belt before being allowed to solo. Also, real airplane pilots don't typically buzz low level fields and parks where people and other obstacles are likely to be encountered. ;)

Feel your pain, though. Considered Googles but with our restrictions it would do me no good.

2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day walttheartist. Thank you for sharing these information with us today and your insights as well. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-12
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Legislation makes restrictions.... industry comes with new ideas:
https://moverio.epson.com/

FPV while still having VLOS. At industrial price tag, tho...
2019-2-13
Use props
walttheartist
lvl.4
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2-12 11:39
One difference is that unlike a DJI consumer a beginner pilot doesn't fly by him/herself at the beginning, and has to have many hours under their belt before being allowed to solo. Also, real airplane pilots don't typically buzz low level fields and parks where people and other obstacles are likely to be encountered. ;)

Feel your pain, though. Considered Googles but with our restrictions it would do me no good.

Canadian RPAS pilots with a Basic license are not allowed to fly within 100 feet (measured horizontally), or over the heads of people. This should keep flying safe for obedient goggle users. I don’t see any potential harm to people or property if FPV flying is conducted in open areas. We have to fly somewhere in order to gain experience.

I wish by simply earning a license made a person conduct themselves in a safe manner, but jerks are always with us. They are a risky part of life. Whether a jerk passes a motorcycle, driver’s or pilot’s license test, doesn’t stop them from popping wheelies on a busy street, drifting or burning donuts with bystanders close by, or flying carelessly outside their flight plan. Why not give RPAS pilots the same benefit of the doubt and let them fly FPV? Personally I think it would be safer if a pilot could actually see the view ahead of them.
2019-2-13
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 04:09

That actually may be the answer!!
They are available in Norway: https://www.epson.no/products/se ... ewer/moverio-bt-300
AND they are DJI FPV Technology partner

And I completely agree with OP on all of his arguement points - having an FPV would give a much better situational awareness, and it would actually reduce the chance of accidents. Being in the FPV virtual "seat" the quad pilot would subconciusly react in much the same way as if ohysucally siting in a vehicle, thus becoming more careful.
2019-2-13
Use props
walttheartist
lvl.4
Canada

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 04:09

I've checked these goggles out. Very expensive by half. They'll come down in price eventually I guess.
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

walttheartist Posted at 2-13 06:53
I've checked these goggles out. Very expensive by half. They'll come down in price eventually I guess.

This is industrial grade hardware.... pretty sure no chance of price drop in a way we see it in consumer grade products. Eventually if someone else implements the idea but in consumer grade fashion (no IP rating, no top materials used, no ultra precise manufacturing and rigorous QA, no certificates of usability/safety in industrial environment, etc....). Fingers crossed... but.... dunno...
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

BumblerBee Posted at 2-13 06:53
That actually may be the answer!!
They are available in Norway: https://www.epson.no/products/se ... ewer/moverio-bt-300
AND they are DJI FPV Technology partner

Not only that  they are partner with DJI but also check this:
https://moverio.epson.com/jsp/pc/pc_application_list.jsp

DJI GO 4 on compatibility list straight away... and not only that, Seiko Epson even has it's own free application for DJI drones:
https://moverio.epson.com/jsp/pc ... ommend&device=2
2019-2-13
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

It would be very hard to argue that the view from a FPV is as good as a human pilot would have sitting in a cockpit while flying.  A FPV pilot has zero idea what is happening around him beyond his straight ahead 2d view.  I have a much wider field of view at a much higher resolution with my mark one eyeball than drone pilots have with their low res RE googles.  Plus, airplane pilots scan all around them much more than drone pilots do.  

Flying the drone while you can visually see it from the ground ensures the airspace around it is clear and remains clear.

Talk about target fixation in an accident.  Target fixation is all that drone pilots, using video to fly, have.

Spark return 5.gif
2019-2-13
Use props
walttheartist
lvl.4
Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2-13 08:22
It would be very hard to argue that the view from a FPV is as good as a human pilot would have sitting in a cockpit while flying.  A FPV pilot has zero idea what is happening around him beyond his straight ahead 2d view.  I have a much wider field of view at a much higher resolution with my mark one eyeball than drone pilots have with their low res RE googles.  Plus, airplane pilots scan all around them much more than drone pilots do.  

Flying the drone while you can visually see it from the ground ensures the airspace around it is clear and remains clear.

I have the DJI Goggles Racing Edition and have tried them out in the backyard. The image is definitely HD quality and there is an option that allows the gimballed camera to swivel with head movement, allowing the RPAS pilot to scan around him without looking through windows. The camera can also swivel about 30 degree upward and about 90 degrees downward. A pilot of a plane can't see what's above, behind or below him. I think the FPV pilot has the advantage here.

However, there is a much bigger puzzle than FPV. I posted this topic on General Duscussions. How did it get into the Mavic 2 Enterprise forum?

2019-2-13
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

walttheartist Posted at 2-13 09:59
I have the DJI Goggles Racing Edition and have tried them out in the backyard. The image is definitely HD quality and there is an option that allows the gimballed camera to swivel with head movement, allowing the RPAS pilot to scan around him without looking through windows. The camera can also swivel about 30 degree upward and about 90 degrees downward. A pilot of a plane can't see what's above, behind or below him. I think the FPV pilot has the advantage here.

However, there is a much bigger puzzle than FPV. I posted this topic on General Duscussions. How did it get into the Mavic 2 Enterprise forum?

I take your point that your googles have higher resolution than my eyeballs.  That no one using video to fly the Mavic have crashed into walls to the side, branches above them, or poles behind them.  Strawman-ish but I don't believe you.

I think drone pilots have very limited view of their surroundings and that is why a pilot in the aircraft, looking around, can fly in the nation's airspace.  It is why someone flying by camera,...can't.

Why did DJI put collision sensors on such an aircraft with such great situational awareness in all its pilots?   Seems a waste of money.  Collision sensors because flying by FPV will cause lots of crashes?  They expect people to use the video to fly around.

Spend a day using a GoPro camera attached to your chest or head to do your daily activities.  Use the virtual reality cardboard box with your phone in it to get around.  Then tell me it is better than my eyes.

Not sure why the topic was moved.  It is interesting though inspite of us having different views.  More worth discussing than "my drone flew away."

2019-2-13
Use props
walttheartist
lvl.4
Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2-13 14:11
I take your point that your googles have higher resolution than my eyeballs.  That no one using video to fly the Mavic have crashed into walls to the side, branches above them, or poles behind them.  Strawman-ish but I don't believe you.

I think drone pilots have very limited view of their surroundings and that is why a pilot in the aircraft, looking around, can fly in the nation's airspace.  It is why someone flying by camera,...can't.

Thanks for the discussion Captain. Interesting arguments on both sides. It's been fun. I'll leave it at this point and hope that other users will share their opinions. See ya.
2019-2-13
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Gunship9 Posted at 2-13 14:11
I take your point that your googles have higher resolution than my eyeballs.  That no one using video to fly the Mavic have crashed into walls to the side, branches above them, or poles behind them.  Strawman-ish but I don't believe you.

I can come with a counter-argument stemming from my own experience here. I've already posted elsewhere that I only crashed the drone once by coming into contact with some branches after having miscalcuated the breaking distance...
Now, I always fly with the mobile phone atached to RC and mainly fly using the live feed on the screen, only occasionally glancing up at Mavic. I've navigated some pretty tight spots that way.
On the day of the crash my phone's battery died, so I decided to do a quick flight with RC only. Even with Mavic about 40m away from me, it was much harder to judge the orientation, speed and the surroundings, than with a live feed (and FPV by extension - FPV)

PS: Your comparison to the GoPro would be valid, if you asked for it to be attached to the head, and not the chest - after all FPV with goggles follows head movement.

2019-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules