1193 13 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eivautk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3176 ft
Russia

Hi pilots and DJI support,

I was flying this weekend with my brand new Spark at the countyside 10-Feb and suddenly experienced following. Things were fine as I was flying well 300m high, later at mid battery I activated Autoland. Once Spark reached 100m it started to spit out IMU heading errors and flew away so fast and far that I never had chance to do smth usig RC. After several time luckily Go Home started and it flew back to home point, but landing was a bit rough with tree branches touch. Could you please help to explain what led to such behaviour and how to avoid that in future. I also raised support request from DJI GO4 app 10-Feb, but nothing happened so far and I mentioning it here. Flight Logs link is below:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PGXTM95FKSQJLZP56OEX/

Regards,
Ivan
2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ivan. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Spark. Have you calibrated the IMU of your drone before that flight? I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial Video on how to calibrate DJI Spark's IMU. Please try to fly your drone after doing this process and try to check if the issue will still persist and please update us as well for us to help you further. Thank you.

2019-2-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Ivan,

Lucky flight for you, you still have your Spark!

Autolanding at 2.1 meters above Homepoint, descending nicely. Height 300 meters.
At 130 meters a YAW errror (not to be seen in the app), still descending.
At 123 meters a IMU heading error (seen in the app)
IMU error kills the use of GPS data (zero reception), so ATTI will follow shortly.....

Still autolanding and descending but distance does not keep its position, drifting away...
At 94 meters landing cancelled, SPARK in ATTI mode. now 26 meters away from HP + compass error

From there (9m10s) to (10m1s) drifting away to 260 meters away from homepoint, NO RC input to bring it closer to home.

Short disconnect and an autolanding starts at 330 meters away from HP
Autolanding from 93 meters to 64, autolanding initiated by you. (why?)

Again lost comms for 80 seconds, again for 44 seconds, cancelled autolanding in between.Spark in ATTI but somehow SPARK decided to use its GPS again, because no connection with the RC thus RTH activated (wow, lucky!)
Back home flying from 376 meters, and batt level just enough to made it home at 12%

Its the 'famous' YAW error cascading into other errors > ATTI. Lucky this time it restored its normal operation and flew back home.

What to do ?  ask DJI to analyse and replace your Spark.

last screen shot   16 sat count and use of GPS for 0 to 5.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2019-2-12
Use props
eivautk
lvl.1
Russia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-12 12:29
Hello and good day Ivan. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Spark. Have you calibrated the IMU of your drone before that flight? I will be posting an official DJI Tutorial Video on how to calibrate DJI Spark's IMU. Please try to fly your drone after doing this process and try to check if the issue will still persist and please update us as well for us to help you further. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pfcHyHFm8

Hi Stephen,
Yes, IMU calibration was done just before the flight and I also checked IMU status in the APP, it was fine. That's good advice and I will try for sure, but what if the same will occur unexpectidly - what actions should I do to stop drifting away?
2019-2-12
Use props
eivautk
lvl.1
Russia

JJB* Posted at 2-12 12:43
Hi Ivan,

Hi JJB,
Thanks for such a detailed analysis done. I haven't touched RC beeing a bit shocked by behaviour just seeing SPARK drifting away after peaceful landing. And Autoland was initiated second time most likely because of I wanted to hit RTH instead but missed. What is general algorythm if see such mess happeining - Try to land asap by RC, just hit Pause, smth other?
Will wait for DJI support verdict.
2019-2-12
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

eivautk Posted at 2-12 13:47
Hi JJB,
Thanks for such a detailed analysis done. I haven't touched RC beeing a bit shocked by behaviour just seeing SPARK drifting away after peaceful landing. And Autoland was initiated second time most likely because of I wanted to hit RTH instead but missed. What is general algorythm if see such mess happeining - Try to land asap by RC, just hit Pause, smth other?

Hi Ivan,

You need to do some ATTI mode training, see this thread.
It can happen any time, you'll need to be prepared if Sparky's IMU goes wild....

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-2-13
Use props
eivautk
lvl.1
Russia

Wolferl Posted at 2-13 01:55
Hi Ivan,

You need to do some ATTI mode training, see this thread.

Thanks Wolferl, will check and try.
2019-2-13
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

eivautk Posted at 2-13 03:21
Thanks Wolferl, will check and try.

You should not train on Atti before you are familiar with your drone and remote control.
Be very careful, you are supposed to climb the ladder...not run like a sprinter.
2019-2-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

eivautk Posted at 2-12 13:47
Hi JJB,

Hi,

I always use the RTH button on the RC, not the soft button in the GoApp.
Easy to make a mistake, like you did.

cheers
JJB

2019-2-13
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

JJB* Posted at 2-13 05:23
Hi,

I always use the RTH button on the RC, not the soft button in the GoApp.

Makes absolutely no differense when in ATTI. The drone knows nothing about where it is, and will NOT return..
2019-2-13
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

JJB* Posted at 2-12 12:43
Hi Ivan,

I could add that something really strange happened with his battery
2019-2-13
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

The drone pilot must pilot the drone back to himself when the navigation systems of the spark encounter errors.  Work the sticks and know which way the drone is facing, then press the sticks in the right direction.  One shouldn't rely on autopilot to always fly your radio control model aircraft for you.  Hint:  autopilots being less than perfect are why we bring two human pilots, who know how to fly, with us on the Boeing 747 even though the plane has a triple autopilot system onboard.  

Spark Glide 3.gif
2019-2-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Joller79 DK Posted at 2-13 06:22
Makes absolutely no differense when in ATTI. The drone knows nothing about where it is, and will NOT return..

True in ATTI, but general speaking : my advice is to always use the RTH button on the RC and not in the App (but i prefer to fly manual back home)
2019-2-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-13 07:33
I could add that something really strange happened with his battery[view_image]

think that`s a phantomhelp 'error' real values are OK. Max deviation 120 mVolts.
2019-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules