123Next >
3769 88 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The US government is ordering that all drone owners in the US add external markings to their drones, displaying registration numbers to make it easier to trace the drone back to its owner.

The FAA regulation was published today at the Federal Register and will take effect on February 23rd, 2019, so drone owners have the next 10 days to add markings.

From: https://petapixel.com/2019/02/12 ... bers-displayed-faa/
The Federal Register PDF: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public- ... .gov/2019-00765.pdf

2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ex Machina. Thank you for sharing this informative information with us today and thank you for your support.
2019-2-12
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

What kinds of marking? Will the angry eyes stickers on my drones qualify? Edit: Nevermind. It's the registartion number marking.
2019-2-12
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

"The US government is ordering that all drone owners in the US add external markings to their drones, displaying registration numbers to make it easier to trace the drone back to its owner."
In the links you provided it says they can be inside the drone, such as the battery compartment as long as no tools are needed to gain access, so no need for external numbers at all.
2019-2-12
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

So is this the same as what it was required before?
2019-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2-12 14:15
"The US government is ordering that all drone owners in the US add external markings to their drones, displaying registration numbers to make it easier to trace the drone back to its owner."
In the links you provided it says they can be inside the drone, such as the battery compartment as long as no tools are needed to gain access, so no need for external numbers at all.

Nope, from the regulation PDF:

SUMMARY: This interim final rule requires small unmanned aircraft owners to display the unique identifier assigned by the FAA upon completion of the registration process (registration number) on an external surface of the aircraft. Small unmanned aircraft owners are no longer permitted to enclose the FAA-issued registration number in a compartment.

What you were reading in the document was a description of the previous regulation, which this one supercedes.

2019-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2-12 14:48
So is this the same as what it was required before?

Nope, has to be externally visible now, where before it could be inside, say, the battery compartment, where it might be protected from the elements and abrasion, I might add.
2019-2-12
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

What if I choose not to put external markings? Who enforces the penalties? asking for a friend. lol
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m not defiling my drone for a 110% unenforceable policy..  what world will it make a difference..?    Good luck catching me.. if u police demand to see my drone, CSC dumping it in the woods of over water and making a insurance claim ;)
2019-2-12
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I stand corrected, that will teach me not to read all the way to the end.
2019-2-12
Use props
ajrulez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 447142 ft
United States

I have it inside and outside. Because of the label I was able to retrieved my last drone.
2019-2-12
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
Netherlands

Notice the reasoning for why! Any miscreant wanting to do such a thing, are unlikely to use a DJI drone - more likely some home built contraption and very unlikely to put ID/Reg markings on it anyway.
2019-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2-12 16:10
What if I choose not to put external markings? Who enforces the penalties? asking for a friend. lol

From the FAA Drone Reg FAQ: https://federaldroneregistration.com/faq/

The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

Plus, I assume when first responders find your lost drone and can't call the person who owns it due to a lack of a visible external registration number, they'll treat it as a potential explosive device and call in the bomb squad to perform an in-field controlled detonation.

2019-2-12
Use props
STUFF2C
lvl.2
United States

Didn't see a size requirement
2019-2-12
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-12
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Print FA# on motor hub where prop goes in Edwardian Script ITC size 5 with sky-gray paint.
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-12 18:10
I am against most regulations but these drones are capable of entering and intefering with manned aircraft. Unfortunately like in all things, there are some idiots out there who mess it up for the rest. I think the fines and punishment are way out of line but thats our government.
For me, I printed out a black box with white lettering on it and attached it with a piece of scotch tape. I put it on the top of the leg as it is plenty visable on the ground when its with me and out of sight while in the air. To me its about the same as airplane identification. I also hope it may help if lost for someone trying to return it.
I painted out the numbers...

i dont understand the logic of this though.. if the risk is you or anyone else messing with manned aircraft.. how is a reg number smaller than a finger, from 1000s of feet away or even hundreds of feet away going to make a differance..?   also in a crash recovery scenarios, having reg number affixed under your battery protects it from wear and tear, moisture, crashes..putting it on arm where arm could be ripped off in a violent crash or on side of the boxy where may fade to the sun or get scuffed up if your clumsy isnt helpful either...   

in battery compartment:

1. its well protected during a crash as it requires the body of the drone to be ripped apart

2.  its protection from moisture, scuffs, bangs and wear and tear much better than arms and sides of the drone..

3. it doesn't require defiling the drone or putting an ugly reg number/sticker in view. which depending on method of applying reg, maybe perminate, some people etch their numbers in.. and RIP resale value if looking to upgrade and no longer need last gen..

4. cant see reg tab on your drone anyway once its flown off, so why does it matter..mine as well protect it..

2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-12 18:21
Print FA# on motor hub where prop goes in Edwardian Script ITC size 5 with sky-gray paint.

says on the body of the drone... depending who you ask, anything attached to the body is part of the body..right... black sharpie, bottom of the props.. break it up so each blade of the 2 blade props only gets 1/8th of the reg number.... mindfk the authorities..
2019-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been doing this since registering my drone along with a if found reward sticker a well.

It just makes sense. All other aircrafts have FAA # visible.
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2-12 18:52
I've been doing this since registering my drone along with a if found reward sticker a well.

depends what your offering as a reward and who picks it up if its even worth the reward.. i dont ever put reward if found, simply because that allows people to hold it hostage and extort you.   if they call you and ask how much the reward is, you know  they are weighing the options seeing how much they can get from you vs a quick sale online or if they should just keep it.

2019-2-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-12 19:09
depends what your offering as a reward and who picks it up if its even worth the reward.. i dont ever put reward if found, simply because that allows people to hold it hostage and extort you.   if they call you and ask how much the reward is, you know  they are weighing the options seeing how much they can get from you vs a quick sale online or if they should just keep it.

That's a fair assessment. if someone wants it that bad by all means keep it.

It's for my own peace of mind that someone will do the right thing.
2019-2-12
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2-12 19:30
That's a fair assessment. if someone wants it that bad by all means keep it.

It's for my own peace of mind that someone will do the right thing.

i considered putting my phone number under the battery.. but i avoid putting "reward if found"  because i been down that path before with other things... its too tempting for some people. i rather be non committing to that no promises of a reward or value at all, let them come to me on my terms instead that way i have situational control.  i had a bad experience encountering thieves wanting both the reward and the item.. and having people around to threaten.  

2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-12 19:31
I guess my point is simply every type of registered vehicle, plane, boat, car, snowmobile, all have their reg numbers posted on it and in plain view. It is unmanned, understood, but it is now a registered vehicle like the rest.

im just critically thinking:

just sorta pointless on a drone though.   so tiny probably cant see it for more then few feet away.  what extra safety will it provide..??  also what is stopping someone from finding reg numbers in plain sight, and stealing them putting someone else's reg on their drone to then commit a crime...or simply false reporting.     if reg number was concealed onder the battery, it wouldn't be nearly as prone to people stealing other's reg numbers or being able to successfully false report.     you consealed your reg number in the photo you posted...., i assume this is because of this inherent flaw and risk or because afraid someone will false report i think validates concerns..

the other issue is, just protected from the elements if its under the battery.  
2019-2-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Woe Posted at 2-12 18:52

My phone # and email address are both on my MP, just in case. been doing this ever since the first flight.
2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-12 18:10
I am against most regulations but these drones are capable of entering and intefering with manned aircraft. Unfortunately like in all things, there are some idiots out there who mess it up for the rest. I think the fines and punishment are way out of line but thats our government.
For me, I printed out a black box with white lettering on it and attached it with a piece of scotch tape. I put it on the top of the leg as it is plenty visable on the ground when its with me and out of sight while in the air. To me its about the same as airplane identification. I also hope it may help if lost for someone trying to return it.
I painted out the numbers...

A lot of things can interfere with manned aircraft.... lasers, guns... We all know US policy about guns and I don't see any regulations about registering your laser and having an external identification sticker on it.
2019-2-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2-12 17:47
From the FAA Drone Reg FAQ: https://federaldroneregistration.com/faq/

The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

Again.. I ask. Who enforces the penalties? Who patrols the skies? It's like an imaginary force waving a big stick with no way to pick it up and swing it.  Just curious who enforces it. FAA officials? I think not. Maybe if the drone was in restricted airspace or caused an incident sure they would investigate and bring fines.  The fact is this... there is no patrols or enforcement of this law. Police officers can barley understand the criminal and civil law let alone FAA laws. So there really is nobody to patrol and enforce this; making it a silly ploy to take your $5 for registration and buy a happy meal with it; fund the tracking and authorization systems perhaps?  I don't know but I see drones flying around willy nilly and I play by the rules, yet I do not see anyone enforcing the laws on the people flying without registration or the people taking cash for jobs not being p107... there is zero enforcement so why take them serious?

If you decide to answer this with more laws and consequences.. please include the authority that patrols/enforces it. Thanks! (again.. asking for a friend. haha)
2019-2-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2-13 04:02
Again.. I ask. Who enforces the penalties? Who patrols the skies? It's like an imaginary force waving a big stick with no way to pick it up and swing it.  Just curious who enforces it. FAA officials? I think not. Maybe if the drone was in restricted airspace or caused an incident sure they would investigate and bring fines.  The fact is this... there is no patrols or enforcement of this law. Police officers can barley understand the criminal and civil law let alone FAA laws. So there really is nobody to patrol and enforce this; making it a silly ploy to take your $5 for registration and buy a happy meal with it; fund the tracking and authorization systems perhaps?  I don't know but I see drones flying around willy nilly and I play by the rules, yet I do not see anyone enforcing the laws on the people flying without registration or the people taking cash for jobs not being p107... there is zero enforcement so why take them serious?

If you decide to answer this with more laws and consequences.. please include the authority that patrols/enforces it. Thanks! (again.. asking for a friend. haha)

As with the new law pass a few months back, law enforcement can stop and ask

and even confiscate your drone if he\she feel your flying reckless.
2019-2-13
Use props
Thudd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Alas, debating the viability of an unpopular law is pointless. Civil disobedience is always an option, but be prepared to reap the consequences. Just my humble opinion.
2019-2-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thudd Posted at 2-13 04:48
Alas, debating the viability of an unpopular law is pointless. Civil disobedience is always an option, but be prepared to reap the consequences. Just my humble opinion.

love to see them attempt to enforce this unenforceable law that i will not follow..   

im willing to bet  everyone here, a $500 amazon gift card or a $500 visa gift card, i wont even have a registration question pertaining to my drones from authorities in FAA regions (the US and us regions) in next 12 months..
2019-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-13 05:03
love to see them attempt to enforce this unenforceable law that i will not follow..   

im willing to bet  everyone here, a $500 amazon gift card or a $500 visa gift card, i wont even have a registration question pertaining to my drones from authorities in FAA regions (the US and us regions) in next 12 months..

I've had security types ask to see my registration before letting me fly .
2019-2-13
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2-13 04:02
Again.. I ask. Who enforces the penalties? Who patrols the skies? It's like an imaginary force waving a big stick with no way to pick it up and swing it.  Just curious who enforces it. FAA officials? I think not. Maybe if the drone was in restricted airspace or caused an incident sure they would investigate and bring fines.  The fact is this... there is no patrols or enforcement of this law. Police officers can barley understand the criminal and civil law let alone FAA laws. So there really is nobody to patrol and enforce this; making it a silly ploy to take your $5 for registration and buy a happy meal with it; fund the tracking and authorization systems perhaps?  I don't know but I see drones flying around willy nilly and I play by the rules, yet I do not see anyone enforcing the laws on the people flying without registration or the people taking cash for jobs not being p107... there is zero enforcement so why take them serious?

The FAA determines the penalties, your local police department enforces the laws. Are you likely to run up against this? Hard to say at present and of course depends on where you fly -- I've been asked to show my registration by security guards who clearly knew the law. YMMV.
2019-2-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2-13 05:40
I've had security types ask to see my registration before letting me fly .

i never had issues, in fact usually the police are extremely pleasant and curious and have people leave me alone when they get called out cuz im flying, they never asked me for anything..  

by the way, know your rights.  just because you are asked to identify yourself or your property does not legally bind you do so unless suspected of a committing a crime...  hell, dont even need to acknowledge the police's existing around you...  dont fall for the old legalese trap they play where say investigating the situation.. that means investigating the call, not a crime..
if an offier asks for my registeration number/ID im ignoring him...
2019-2-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2-13 05:45
The FAA determines the penalties, your local police department enforces the laws. Are you likely to run up against this? Hard to say at present and of course depends on where you fly -- I've been asked to show my registration by security guards who clearly knew the law. YMMV.

OK thanks. That's what I thought. In short nobody at the current time is enforcing or has the authority other than the FAA; and they do not seem to have the resources to enforce it. Police and Security guards do not have the authority since they are not Federal agents. They are at best local and state authorities that can try to enforce a local law or ordinance, but as we have all seen this does not play out well for them in a court of law since the airspace is controlled and "enforced" by the FAA.

Thanks again for the patient and logical responses.  I hope one day they do enforce it and for the record I play by the rules.
I see the 13 year old kid at church selling 10$ photos using his drone to make extra cash and nobody really cares about a p107 or a FAA law that is not enforced. That kid will grow up maybe knowing about the law.. but not caring because there are no consequences or auditing of the extra cash he made on the side with his cool drone.
2019-2-13
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

They claim they are trying to protect first responders from the possibility of an explosive device triggering when they touch the drone... remove the battery i assume because that is the only thing you can remove. I am not sure how you could fly if you replaced/altered the battery with a bomb. It would take some doing, and i won't say it's impossible, just very very improbable. It sounds like a bit of over-reach to protect from something that doesn't happen. I have never read or heard of a hobby drone, not including a military drone, being used to fly bombs around, then land in a place where it will explode if someone touches it. Or any incidents of first responders or other authorities getting hurt in this way. Besides, if i was a malicious flyer, i'm probably not going register or put a number on it to start with. I suppose the responders could decide that the drone may be from a malicious source if it does not have a number visible. So the bomber counters by placing a fake number on the bird. Either way, it does not help responders. They will have to assume all crashed or lost hobby drones might explode if they touch them, visible numbers or not.

I've had my FAA and cell number inside the battery compartment, on all batteries, and on the bottom of my controller for a couple years. No one has ever asked me for my FAA number. Numbers on the outside aren't going to change anything for me. But like most other drone regulations, they try to protect the public from scenarios that just don't happen enough to warrant the rules they make to protect you. It just seems pretty pointless to waste time and resources legislating and creating rules like this when there are wayyyy more important things for lawmakers to be working on...

We all need to carry silver crosses to keep the vamps at bay, too...
2019-2-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2-13 04:39
As with the new law pass a few months back, law enforcement can stop and ask

and even confiscate your drone if he\she feel your flying reckless.

I am not aware of this law that that allows a local or even state police officer the authority to regulate federal airspace. Please show me if you have time. I understand the public property and ordinances respectfully, but if I take off from my back yard/private property or even an area there is no ordinace and fly over a nearby park where drones are prohibited, they have ZERO authority and I am the type of person that will challenge it. bring it.
2019-2-13
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Here in Canada we have the same rule as of June 1st.
I really don't see why some people are so against it.  It's not a bug deal.  Seems some people will put more effort, physical and mental, into trying not to follow this rule than what it would take to just put the darn number on their drone.
2019-2-13
Use props
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to the document published today:
https://www.federalregister.gov/ ... l-unmanned-aircraft
This is a proposal that goes in effect on Feb 25th, we do have time until March 15 to make comments.
"DATES:
This rule is effective February 25, 2019.
Comments must be received on or before March 15, 2019.

ADDRESSES:
Send comments identified by docket number FAA-2018-1084 using any of the following methods:

Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online instructions for sending your comments electronically.
Mail: Send comments to Docket Operations, M-30; U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Room W12-140, West Building Ground Floor, Washington, DC 20590-0001.
Hand Delivery or Courier: Take comments to Docket Operations in Room W12-140 of the West Building Ground Floor at 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
Fax: Fax comments to Docket Operations at 202-493-2251."

I suggest we all go and make our comments over there, rather than here. Here does nothing. Over there it may make a difference. Stay civil
2019-2-13
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2-13 07:43
I am not aware of this law that that allows a local or even state police officer the authority to regulate federal airspace. Please show me if you have time. I understand the public property and ordinances respectfully, but if I take off from my back yard/private property or even an area there is no ordinace and fly over a nearby park where drones are prohibited, they have ZERO authority and I am the type of person that will challenge it.  bring it.

What i remember reading was that "some" Fed, state, local can stop and ask. "Some" is not very specific but we have all seen how vague the FAA is by now
2019-2-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules