Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Transmission technology debate
1858 8 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_EoG8scXMcFpn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 785105 ft
United Kingdom

Please can somebody clarify to me the types iof transmission systems DJI use and the differences between them? As i understand it there are three but im being told that lightbridge and occusync are the same. Thanks in advance
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

lightbridge and occusync are not the same...

occusync (1.0 and 2,0) are the best currently offered by DJI.. it has least latency round trip up and downstream,  highest data transfer rates, supports H.265 code.c liveview, and has longest range and best signal quality and Occusync is 100% SDR based (software defined radio) means dji can do alot with it to make it even better without reinventing the wheel, controlled with software/firmware within capabilities of the parts used.    occusync can channel hop, change bands and frequencies, split channels and bands, increase and decrease its bandwidth on the fly all behind the scenes, many times per second to avoid being jammed, losing connection in difficult situations like flyign around things
or near high RF power..  does it almost if not completely invisible to the user, just appears seamless.  it also offers ability to connect multiple controllers with full live view and control capabilities, multiple wireless dji goggle units, and doesn't mind doing  it as doesn't seem to impact latency or range any and requires no addon parts, just pair and go..

lightbridge was the go to technology for pro's.  some people still consider it the professional choice, but i have a feeling lightbridge will be phased out in the next upgrade of phantoms, and inspire drones.  lightbridge offers excellent latency, decent range and video quality, however it lacks some of the functionality of occusync to make it really capable of staying connected in the toughest situations.. think of lightbridge pre-occusync.   it does offer multiple controller options however, multiple live view sessions appear to be limited capability..it can do it but not to same compacity,occusync offers withotu extra parts..      Lightbridge was a full custom radio system, requiring custom ASIC and was/is costly for what if offers compared to Occusync..

Enhanced Wifi /DJi wifi  (Mavic Air/Spark) is just WIfi..  Enhanced Wifi has ~2x power output of Dji wifi in FCC regions and has slightly reduced latency over DJI WIfi, but it is fundamentally still wifi and still has same limitations all 802.11 compliance things face, like slow error correction, no frame injection, limited power....  unfortunately Wifi systems dji uses does not take advantage of any advanced wifi functionality within 802.11 compliance that would allow even lower latency, higher speed data rates and increase resistance to interference that latest tech offers..  
2019-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-12 18:59

occusync (1.0 and 2,0) are the best currently offered by DJI.. it has least latency round trip up and downstream,  highest data transfer rates, supports H.265 code.c liveview, and has longest range and best signal quality and Occusync is 100% SDR based (software defined radio) means dji can do alot with it to make it even better without reinventing the wheel, controlled with software/firmware within capabilities of the parts used.    occusync can channel hop, change bands and frequencies, split channels and bands, increase and decrease its bandwidth on the fly all behind the scenes, many times per second to avoid being jammed, losing connection in difficult situations like flyign around things

Wow... i am seriously impressed with your answer!!! Very valuable and insightful, still simple to follow even if one is not exactly into SDR.
2019-2-13
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-12 18:59

occusync (1.0 and 2,0) are the best currently offered by DJI.. it has least latency round trip up and downstream,  highest data transfer rates, supports H.265 code.c liveview, and has longest range and best signal quality and Occusync is 100% SDR based (software defined radio) means dji can do alot with it to make it even better without reinventing the wheel, controlled with software/firmware within capabilities of the parts used.    occusync can channel hop, change bands and frequencies, split channels and bands, increase and decrease its bandwidth on the fly all behind the scenes, many times per second to avoid being jammed, losing connection in difficult situations like flyign around things

"but i have a feeling lightbridge will be phased out in the next upgrade of phantoms"

I would agree on that.

As displayed in the P4 Pro V2 which uses Occusync.

I picture occusync as being a more efficient extended protocol, which is likely tied to newer faster processing power available in the newer machines (Mavic Pro and beyond).

2019-2-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2-13 04:58
"but i have a feeling lightbridge will be phased out in the next upgrade of phantoms"

I would agree on that.

it is surprisingly efficient transmission system!   amazing how far < 1 watt of power can go in tough situations, and still transmit such clean crisp 1080P video with minimal round trip lag.    all while also being able to connect to multiple devices, like multi controllers and multiple goggles and multiple live views.
2019-2-13
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great explanation - thanks.

I like to have a 4G SIM card/radio on board for logging, coordinations and a few basic functions when lost RC signal.

As I read above Occusync is almost perfect;-) I would like also an solution for the Goggle RE working with Occusync - not for complaining but understanding. Range drops from 2-4Km to 200-400meter using them?
2019-2-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SHamers Posted at 2-13 05:33
Great explanation - thanks.

I like to have a 4G SIM card/radio on board for logging, coordinations and a few basic functions when lost RC signal.

range should be much further than 2-4 km on occusync 1 or 2.  should be closer to 2-4 miles at least.   and goggles usually offer roughly 1/2 range when not connected to the controller via USB.   as for why either antennas are weak sauce or the goggles dont offer advanced functions of occusync.

i dont have RE models to test and know why, but standard goggles in FCC mode i managed 1-2 miles without much issue on mavic pro wirelessly sync'd to the drone.  with it plugged into my remote with USB it gave me same range as using smart device in the controller.. so easily over 3 miles with mavic pro.
2019-2-13
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-13 06:15
range should be much further than 2-4 km on occusync 1 or 2.  should be closer to 2-4 miles at least.   and goggles usually offer roughly 1/2 range when not connected to the controller via USB.   as for why either antennas are weak sauce or the goggles dont offer advanced functions of occusync.

i dont have RE models to test and know why, but standard goggles in FCC mode i managed 1-2 miles without much issue on mavic pro wirelessly sync'd to the drone.  with it plugged into my remote with USB it gave me same range as using smart device in the controller.. so easily over 3 miles with mavic pro.

Thanks!

I think there are 100 “tweets” of the MP2 Goggle RE issues. Hopefully DJI came with an solution.  I can live with 1/2 the range.

I think the range in europe is arround 2-4km
2019-2-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SHamers Posted at 2-13 06:20
Thanks!

I think there are 100 “tweets” of the MP2 Goggle RE issues. Hopefully DJI came with an solution.  I can live with 1/2 the range.

just use FCC mode "hacks"  (not really a hack just fooling your dji go app into thinking your in the US)
2019-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules