o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,
     FYI!
  The FAA issued an Interim Final Rule today that will require drone pilots and model aircraft pilots to display their FAA-issued registration number on the outside surface of their aircraft. The rule will take effect on Monday, February 25, which means the markings must be in place for any outdoor flight beginning on that date.

Although most AMA members already have their FAA registration number posted on the outside of their aircraft, AMA will be submitting comments to the FAA requesting a waiver process for those who might be burdened by external markings, such as members who fly scale replica model aircraft. Most importantly, this rule does not change the original acceptable methods of external marking, nor does it specify a particular external surface on which the registration number must be placed. The requirement  is simply that the registration number must be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft's exterior.

As you know, the registration requirement is not new. Congress reinstated this requirement in December 2017 with the passage of the National Defense Authorization Act. Although this rule was flexible and allowed the registration marking to be placed in an enclosed compartment, law enforcement officials and FAA partners have expressed concerns about the safety risks a concealed explosive device could pose to first responders when opening a compartment to find a registration number.

If you would like to submit your own comment on the Interim Final Rule, simply visit www.regulations.gov and search for "RIN 2120-AL32." You can also visit www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045 to learn more. The deadline for public comment ends on March 15, 2019.

If you are uncertain if you have a valid FAA registration, you can access your FAA account at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#. This site will allow you to view your personal FAA registration number and expiration date. We strongly advise you to avoid registering your model aircraft anywhere other than the official FAA website. If you register under Section 336, there is a $5 fee for a three-year registration, and hobbyists receive one identification number for all of their aircraft. Please be aware of unofficial registration websites that charge exorbitant fees or require separate registration fees for each recreational  aircraft.

We continue to work closely with the FAA to determine the best path forward regarding recreational UAS operating requirements. As always, thank you for your continued support, and please reach out with any questions.

Thank you,
AMA Government Affairs

Aloha and Drone On!

2019-2-13
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Is this only for people in AMA?
2019-2-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2-13 19:56
Is this only for people in AMA?

No.

I'd like to hear more.  Like can we place it in small letters on the bottom of the belly?  

2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2-13 19:56
Is this only for people in AMA?

Aloha fansb1,

No, the information is for all mUAV operators with aircraft less than 50 pounds.  The AMA sent out this notice to Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) members and I forwarded it to others (this Forum) that might be interested because it applies to more than just AMA members.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-14 02:55
No.
I'd like to hear more.  Like can we place it in small letters on the bottom of the belly?

Aloha Mark,

Well, I sure hope so!  I have mine in smaller letters than this font.  The placement is different for each quadcopter.  I put mine on batteries to since they are a separate unit.  My numbers fit in a piece of 3M Magic Tape and I just tape them where I want them.  I never even notice them anymore.

What happened, did you take yours off after the FAA lost their court case?

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-14 03:33
Aloha Mark,

Well, I sure hope so!  I have mine in smaller letters than this font.  The placement is different for each quadcopter.  I put mine on batteries to since they are a separate unit.  My numbers fit in a piece of 3M Magic Tape and I just tape them where I want them.  I never even notice them anymore.

Hi - no.  But putting the FA number on the batteries or inside the compartment doesn't work anymore.  That's why I was hoping for some clarity.  Is there a minimum sized font?  Does it have to be plainly visible like on a wing, or can it be not so obvious like on the underside somewhere...?  

This news popped up on the other forum a couple nights ago, so I've been wondering about what the specifics are... if there are any...
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-14 04:05
Hi - no.  But putting the FA number on the batteries or inside the compartment doesn't work anymore.  That's why I was hoping for some clarity.  Is there a minimum sized font?  Does it have to be plainly visible like on a wing, or can it be not so obvious like on the underside somewhere...?  

This news popped up on the other forum a couple nights ago, so I've been wondering about what the specifics are... if there are any...

Aloha Mark,

Actually, the regulation is fairly simple.  The FAA number just has to be visible and legible somewhere on the outside of the quad.  

In my case, I put my number on the battery just in case I crash somehow and someone finds it separate from the bird.  Originally, I put my number inside the battery compartment but I stopped doing that when I decided that it might be better as a useful way for the crashed quad to be returned to me.

As for size, I have a number with a smaller font on my Mavic Air than on my Phantoms for obvious reasons.  But my batteries have the smallest font (8 or 10), again for the relative size.

Nice that it is simple now.  The FAA is doing a good job trying to be fair and listening to the airspace users (IMHO).

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-14 04:25
Aloha Mark,

Actually, the regulation is fairly simple.  The FAA number just has to be visible and legible somewhere on the outside of the quad.  

So you're saying you are now putting the number on the face of the battery near the power button?  
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-14 04:27
So you're saying you are now putting the number on the face of the battery near the power button?

Aloha Mark,

Not really, the battery is a separate unit, so I put the number anywhere I want it - and there is no inside to the battery.  Mostly, I put the number on the deepest side of the battery.  On a Phantom it would be the opposite side from the power button.  That is also where I put my battery number label (1,2,3,4, etc.).  The numbers help to tell the batteries apart and monitor the charging cycles better.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-14 04:40
Aloha Mark,

Not really, the battery is a separate unit, so I put the number anywhere I want it - and there is no inside to the battery.  Mostly, I put the number on the deepest side of the battery.  On a Phantom it would be the opposite side from the power button.  That is also where I put my battery number label (1,2,3,4, etc.).  The numbers help to tell the batteries apart and monitor the charging cycles better.

So you're saying that in your view, the outside of the battery, while the battery is installed, qualifies as "the aircraft's exterior"?  

Or are you putting it in two places - the AC and the battery?  Sorry - I'm having trouble understanding you...

Edit:  I think I'm just going to put mine on the belly in a small font, either on the VPS module or on the belly near the battery.  That will work for all my Phantoms and should make everybody happy.  Thanks
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-14 04:43
So you're saying that in your view, the outside of the battery, while the battery is installed, qualifies as "the aircraft's exterior"?

Aloha Mark,

That is an interesting consideration.  The first release of the regulation recommended to not put the number on any part that could get disarticulated in a crash (like a battery).  So, I do not put my FAA number on my battery where it can be seen when installed.  

The only purpose for me putting the number on my battery is to help get it back to me after a crash.  So I put the number on the opposite side of the battery from the power button.

The battery does not qualify as a location for your FAA number.  If you put the number on the battery next to the power button, you still have to put another number somewhere else on the body of the quad.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Or are you putting it in two places - the AC and the battery?  Sorry - I'm having trouble understanding you...

Aloha Mark,

Good plan.  I think I put my number under the Phantom label on the front of the Phantom.  Like I said, I hardly think about it any more.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Mark,

The FAA finally came out with the regulation noted in the AMA Press Release above.  Basically, it covers what we were writing about;

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Yes, I saw that.  Thanks  :-D  
2019-2-16
Use props
Advanced