Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SOLUTION TO FIRMWARE UPDATE FAILURE
19695 32 2019-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_JHCreuIUx21F
lvl.1
United States

Hi all. Sorry for the caps, and I didn't have time to search to see if this is already posted elswhere, but I am a first person witness to the frustration and wanted to make a quick post that would be noticed. I had the problem with a new Mavic 2 Pro, tried all the written solutions with no joy. Spoke to DJI support and they had me send the unit back! It's a non-Apple device problem. If you have a friend with an iPhone or iPad, update with their device. Done in one minute. Hope this helps.

2019-2-14
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

BUY an IOS device.. DJI dont care... firmware updates on android and CS have been broken since day one on the Mavic 2 …. 6 months now … and STILL DJI have yet to bother fixing the problem..

So someone tell me there bothered … theres plenty of posts about this subject in the forums ..yet nothing from DJI.
2019-2-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry about the problem that you've encountered when in terms of updating the firmware of your Mavic 2 Pro. May we know if you manage to update the firmware of your aircraft upon using the iOS device? Please let us know for further assistance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-14
Use props
djiuser_JHCreuIUx21F
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-14 15:20
Hi, we're sorry about the problem that you've encountered when in terms of updating the firmware of your Mavic 2 Pro. May we know if you manage to update the firmware of your aircraft upon using the iOS device? Please let us know for further assistance. Thank you for continued support.

I sent the unit back and got another. I had the same problem with the second unit. That prompted me to buy an iPad. The upgrade happened with no further problem.
2019-2-15
Use props
liketofly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1315561 ft
South Africa

It would be more of a help if you at least could confirm that DJI is working on this problem, because it is fustating - and buying an Apple product is not a solution!
2019-2-15
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i always use dji assistant with a wired connection to the internet, never fails for me ;)
2019-2-15
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Poland

DJI Assistant requires Windows (or MacOS). Not a solution either.
2019-2-15
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bomberuk Posted at 2-15 03:37
i always use dji assistant with a wired connection to the internet, never fails for me ;)

I do the same, fast and reliable, never fails.
2019-2-15
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

"Use apple" isn;t a solution.  

Android is 75% of the global market share.  The Crystal Sky runs on Android, the smart controller runs android.  Even the drone itself runs Android.

The Go4 update USED to work perfectly on Android until the release of the mavic 2 but they broke it and havent bothered fixing it.  This is fairly unforgivable.  There is nothing about the Android OS that means this feature cannot work and it used to work perfectly well.  Its a DJI bug that affects 75% of their users and they haven't bothered addressing.

Assistant 2 has stopped working for me.  Ive been trying to update the M2 firmware but the download times out on 0% (sometimes further).  Maybe its a temporary remote problem, maybe not.  Tried AVs and firewalls off, tried Windows safe mode, tried various geographic VPNs and same issue.
So currently i have NO way of updating my android firmware at all.

I own android devices like 75% of the global market does.  I don't own and will never own an apple device so this isnt a solution to a problem.
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_JHCreuIUx21F Posted at 2-15 01:44
I sent the unit back and got another. I had the same problem with the second unit. That prompted me to buy an iPad. The upgrade happened with no further problem.

Hi, thanks for your update. May we know if you encountered an error message during the update? You may also try to use our DJI Assistant 2 using your computer. You may refer to the video tutorial and the link below for your reference.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads

2019-2-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

liketofly Posted at 2-15 03:01
It would be more of a help if you at least could confirm that DJI is working on this problem, because it is fustating - and buying an Apple product is not a solution!

Hi, thanks for your inputs. Our application supports Android devices and iOS that you could use to maximize the usage of our DJI Products. However, I would like to know if you're having a problem with updating the firmware? If yes, have you tried to use our DJI Assistant 2? Is there any error message while updating the firmware? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-17
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-17 08:19
Hi, thanks for your inputs. Our application supports Android devices and iOS that you could use to maximize the usage of our DJI Products. However, I would like to know if you're having a problem with updating the firmware? If yes, have you tried to use our DJI Assistant 2? Is there any error message while updating the firmware? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.

Hey Tony,

Get real.

DJI support for android devices like mobile and crystalsky have always fallen behind.

Not only firmware updates being impossible but added feature like 'task library' are still NOT available.
2019-2-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only use apple products for my drone(and home use) and never had problems with FW updates.
2019-2-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2-17 10:18
I only use apple products for my drone(and home use) and never had problems with FW updates.

Totally agree Lucas - I've just upgraded to the Xs - awesome OLED display over OcuSync 2.0 with FHD selected. All FW updated using just the phone as not a single issue.  
2019-2-18
Use props
liketofly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1315561 ft
Austria

DJI Tony Posted at 2-17 08:19
Hi, thanks for your inputs. Our application supports Android devices and iOS that you could use to maximize the usage of our DJI Products. However, I would like to know if you're having a problem with updating the firmware? If yes, have you tried to use our DJI Assistant 2? Is there any error message while updating the firmware? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.

Hi DJI Tony,

YES! We have problems updating the drone via an Android device. It does not work. And using DJI Assistant 2 - well, if one is at home, that's fine - if one is on the move, and wants to leave the Laptop at home, you know - Mavic 2 and "ortability" - that does not work. So you might be on a long vacation or trip stuck somewhere with no Computer and only Android available for updating....
2019-3-7
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

These upgrade problems have been an issue for years, happening to several different DJI products. Also, one firmware update can have an issue on a specific upgrade device/software (eg. iOS, Android or DJI Assistant), while at the next firmware it might work on the same upgrade device/software.

It most often works on iOS. And often on DJI Assistant but not always, and the success can vary depending on OS.

Having an iOS device will certainly make it more possible to succeed with an update in comparison for using an Android device. That is very ironic though, because DJI's own Android devices like Crystalsky and Smart Controller is Android devices.

Upgrading via an iOS device is a workaround, but it is not a fix. DJI needs to fix these upgrade issues so they work on iOS, Android, Windows and MacOS since these are the systems DJI supports (well, not well, though).
2019-3-7
Use props
djiuser_JHCreuIUx21F
lvl.1
United States

Rob W Posted at 3-7 22:35
These upgrade problems have been an issue for years, happening to several different DJI products. Also, one firmware update can have an issue on a specific upgrade device/software (eg. iOS, Android or DJI Assistant), while at the next firmware it might work on the same upgrade device/software.

It most often works on iOS. And often on DJI Assistant but not always, and the success can vary depending on OS.

Thanks for that information.  It seems it is accurate, i’m having the same problem with a Tello I bought.. Doesn’t upgrade on any platform.
2019-3-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

liketofly Posted at 3-7 20:50
Hi DJI Tony,

YES! We have problems updating the drone via an Android device. It does not work. And using DJI Assistant 2 - well, if one is at home, that's fine - if one is on the move, and wants to leave the Laptop at home, you know - Mavic 2 and "Portability" - that does not work. So you might be on a long vacation or trip stuck somewhere with no Computer and only Android available for updating....

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I understand how you feel for having a hard time updating the firmware of your aircraft using the Android device. I would like to know what model of your mobile device? We would recommend using a compatible device to ensure the stability of the application and prevent troubles with the application. You may refer to the image below for our compatible device.

2019-3-10
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Would the " ios device" you speak of be helpful if I installed dji GO4 from the Apple Store, and all works well except that the " NFZ Application Page " is BLANK, even after I refresh it.  I have had a few NFZ applications in Feb and March, but they do NOT show on that page???
  I do have the ipad Mini 4 with ios 12 or 14.  It has Wi-Fi, ios, Cellular Data.
2019-3-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HH1 Posted at 3-10 18:07
Would the " ios device" you speak of be helpful if I installed dji GO4 from the Apple Store, and all works well except that the " NFZ Application Page " is BLANK, even after I refresh it.  I have had a few NFZ applications in Feb and March, but they do NOT show on that page???
  I do have the ipad Mini 4 with ios 12 or 14.  It has Wi-Fi, ios, Cellular Data.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. May we have the screenshot of this blank screen for further assistance?
2019-3-11
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Tony - In GO 4 I go to ME then I go to MORE, then to MY UNLOCK NFZ APPLICATION, and that window  Has at the top " MY Unlock NFZ Application" and at far right top is the word " Refresh", that is all there is, I will try to get a photo of it for you, please give me a little.  Thank you.  
  Entered Later: I am unable to get you a photo of that screen because all of this is still being set-up, and I do not have all the programs on this iPAD Nini 4 to do things like take photos of screens - sorry Tony.
2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HH1 Posted at 3-11 17:37
Tony - In GO 4 I go to ME then I go to MORE, then to MY UNLOCK NFZ APPLICATION, and that window  Has at the top " MY Unlock NFZ Application" and at far right top is the word " Refresh", that is all there is, I will try to get a photo of it for you, please give me a little.  Thank you.  
  Entered Later: I am unable to get you a photo of that screen because all of this is still being set-up, and I do not have all the programs on this iPAD Nini 4 to do things like take photos of screens - sorry Tony.

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. May we have the screenshot of this blank screen for further assistance? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-12
Use props
Dave R1
lvl.1

United States

I've tried for months to update the firmware for my Smart Controller as well as the Mavic 2 Pro through DJI Assistance For Mavic. It fails every time. It gets to 98% and then pops up a failed message. There is no useful information about why there was a failure. There's been no interruption in internet connectivity and no power interruptions.

Reading through this thread it seems like the requirement to complete the process correctly is to purchase an Apple device. If that's actually the only way to make software and firmware updates, that should be made totally clear before customers spend $2000 on a package. There's no way I'm buying an Apple device simply to update the firmware on the controller or aircraft.

If the upgrade cannot be done via Windows 10, why is there even a DJI Assistant application for Windows?

The hardware is nice. Fit and finish are very good. It's too bad the software is crap. It shouldn't be that hard to find software engineers who can write code that works correctly.

@DJI Tony, you keep asking for screen shots of blank screens. How will seeing an image of a blank screen help you?
2020-1-15
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dave R1 Posted at 1-15 16:36
I've tried for months to update the firmware for my Smart Controller as well as the Mavic 2 Pro through DJI Assistance For Mavic. It fails every time. It gets to 98% and then pops up a failed message. There is no useful information about why there was a failure. There's been no interruption in internet connectivity and no power interruptions.

Reading through this thread it seems like the requirement to complete the process correctly is to purchase an Apple device. If that's actually the only way to make software and firmware updates, that should be made totally clear before customers spend $2000 on a package. There's no way I'm buying an Apple device simply to update the firmware on the controller or aircraft.

Try connecting your pc directly to your router via a ethernet cable.
Sometimes DJI Assistant 2 has problems with a wireless connection

Also check for an "error message" in the bottom right hand corner of the screen of DJI Assistant 2, it's often in small text and hard to notice

2020-1-15
Use props
Dave R1
lvl.1

United States

lannes Posted at 1-15 16:39
Try connecting your pc directly to your router via a ethernet cable.
Sometimes DJI Assistant 2 has problems with a wireless connection

Thanks. The computer has been connected to the router via ethernet from the beginning.

I've tried providing that error message to technical support in the past. I've been told "Something went wrong with the upload." Nothing more which leads me to believe those codes are worthless.

Thanks, though.
2020-1-15
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dave R1 Posted at 1-15 16:52
Thanks. The computer has been connected to the router via ethernet from the beginning.

I've tried providing that error message to technical support in the past. I've been told "Something went wrong with the upload." Nothing more which leads me to believe those codes are worthless.

What is the error message ?

If you check the firmware status in the DJI Go 4 app does it still show the old firmware version for the SC ?

2020-1-15
Use props
Dave R1
lvl.1

United States

lannes Posted at 1-15 17:07
What is the error message ?

If you check the firmware status in the DJI Go 4 app does it still show the old firmware version for the SC ?

I didn't keep the last error message. The DJI Assistant showed the latest firmware version available was from a few days ago.

Thanks for attempting to help me. I think it isn't worth the gray hairs anymore, though. I'm going to enjoy a bit of Scotch instead. You should enjoy your day. Stay cool.
2020-1-15
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

I use Windows 10 so all of the suitable upgrades are made thru  DJI Assistant2 on PC/Win10, connected to WIFI. Have never had .any problem wit upgrade/update. My Lenovo Thinkpad (Helix 1)  USB doesn't recognize M2P as an USB Drive, so can not transfer files nor I can not calibrate the camera. It is probably USB specification problem @ Thinkpad. Assistant 2 works fine except camera calibration.  My Toshiba works fine on every jobs. My setup Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or Huawei Mate 3  8" occasionally, on Samsung all of upgrades/updates work fine, haven't tried Huawei.
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_40KFDN4d073M
New

Denmark

I bought a macic 2 pro with a smart controller 3 weeks ago 01-01-2020 , my flight data hasent updated for the last 2 weeks.
all software is updated.
2020-1-16
Use props
Lex_Mavic2Pro
New

Costa Rica

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 2019-2-15 11:43
I do the same, fast and reliable, never fails.

NEVER FAILS?? REALLY! You are one lucky individual! I've been trying to update the firmware on my smart controller for three days now. I've tried three different wifi networks, tried updating from the smart controller (ERRORS), for a MAC, (ERRORS), from windows (ERRORS)!!! I really like the DJI products, the R&D that goes into development is phenomenal. BUT, for firmware updates to constantly be a total freaking nightmare, is COMPLETELY unacceptable. DJI support on this topic is completely useless. Send the controller in, we'll look at it! WTF. Mine is brand new, used it several times with ZERO issues, until a new firmware update became available. Then it was total hell! I wish I was YOU, and had no issues with firmware update!!!! would be soooooo amazing!!! I truly hope you never experience this crap!!!  
2020-3-1
Use props
djiuser_uwKxLWRUMvuO
lvl.1

United States

I just had this same issue with my company's Mavic Air 2.  Hopefully my experience will be helpful to someone.    When I attempted to update the firmware (per notice on my display) it wouldn't accept the update.  I read that it was better to use an IOS device, so I tried another pilot's iPhone with the same result.  I attempted yet again using the DJI Assistant 2.  This got me consistently to 98% and then failed.  Now, I couldn't fly because the attempted (failed) update left me with an ESC error.    Reading through forums I found that some have had better luck trying the update in the evening when there's a better server connection.  I took the aircraft home and was able to run the update on my own service successfully, however, I still couldn't fly because I was still getting the ECS failure.  I shut everything down and powered up again this morning.  There was no error message and I was able to fly normally.    I should add two things.  First, I found that it's a really bad idea to try the update with your SD card installed.  Second, it's an even worse ideal to expect any help from DJI Support.  Apparently, they are only trained to say "here's a link to an online service request so that you can send it in."  I wasted about 90 minutes on chat with them to find this out (so frustrating).
2021-3-24
Use props
djiuser_RJM29k32imZX
lvl.1

Mexico

I have a problem updating a Mavic 2 Pro drone, I already tried it too many times for android and windows without success. Do I need to try it with iOS?
IMG_20210821_182751.jpg
2021-8-24
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

djiuser_RJM29k32imZX Posted at 8-24 23:10
I have a problem updating a Mavic 2 Pro drone, I already tried it too many times for android and windows without success. Do I need to try it with iOS?[Image]

I see you're still in the download phase. Change the DNS settings of your pc to 1.1.1.1
The problem often is caused by a slow dns server of your internet provider.
Set the DNS to
cloudflare, this is 1.1.1.1
or
google, 8.8.8.8
then try downloading again. And be sure to set the sleep timer on your smart controller off, or you risk to get stocked around 24%.
2021-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules