DJI Smart Controller Review: Who is it for?
14788 63 2019-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_WIJ1QHHHNuxW
New
Flight distance : 501106 ft
United States

Has anyone heard or know when or if the smart controller will come back? Plus I have $200 in DJI credit that I will settle for less
2019-3-3
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Mike1983 Posted at 3-2 01:53
Just a note to say I have a smart controller and think it’s fantastic.  So much more convenient.  I am however struggling to understand the benefits of the memory card slot so if anyone can provide some pointers that’d be appreciated.

You can download directly from the drone to the SC and/or its sd-card which might be more convenient for viewing for file transfer.  After you shot an image, you can use the Preview Icon (the triangle pointer under the camera settings icon) and while previewing you can hit the download button and the image will be copied to the controller/sd-card.

You can also load other types of files on it or internally, like pdf manuals or even music or video files.  Just more storage space if you want to add it.
2019-3-4
Use props
ChitaLiving
New

China

Nice open box share!
2019-3-5
Use props
Johnniegilman25
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8868 ft
United States

do you know if this controller is going to be available for the mavic air
2019-3-5
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I want to buy it... BUT IT WILL SUFFER THE SAME FATE OF THE CS FOR FEW MONTHS LATER....
2019-3-5
Use props
Tibopix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4582054 ft
Canada

It does look more practical than the controller+tablet/phone setup, looking forward to try it out.
2019-3-7
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I believe this will suffer the same fate as the CrystalSky monitors... GOOD ONLY FOR 1 YEAR then DJI will DROP IT !!
2019-3-7
Use props
NordicDroneSolutions
Second Officer
  • >>>
Denmark

For switching quickly between Drones this is perfect. Also If you are multiple operators using the same drone this i the perfect setup instead of having one collective phone or the pilots having to use their individual phones. This just works.
2019-3-11
Use props
Gator Don
lvl.4
United States

great info
2019-3-13
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Helped a lot to decide for the purchase! thanks!
2019-3-14
Use props
Avi_Elbaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1095377 ft
Israel

Johnniegilman25 Posted at 3-5 06:04
do you know if this controller is going to be available for the mavic air

Will only work with Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro/Enterprise.  
2019-3-17
Use props
fansad439635
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70669 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have purchased dozens of DJI products over the years from the Phantom 1 to Mavic 2. After spending 6 weeks with the smart controller, all I can say is it's the worst piece of equipment DJI has produced. They simply put it on the market before the bugs can be worked out I guess (hope). I've had nothing but issues, and finally threw in the towel when trying to update the firmware. Now the device won't even turn on. The screen is great, but that's all you are really getting. It does not boot up any faster and to be honest, doesn't have the range of the Mavic 2 Pro with standard controller. Not a lot less...but less. Avoid the heartache and at the very least, wait 3-6 months while DJI can fix this thing. If tyring to update the firmware shuts a device down, something is seriously wrong. Pe.ter W
2019-3-17
Use props
winkiel82
First Officer
Flight distance : 4059806 ft
Poland

Good job, very good job.
2019-3-20
Use props
Pelein24
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5135 ft
Germany

After ordering the Smart Controller last Sunday for testing the delivery was 3 days later. My first impression  was "a nice product". After loading the battery I tried the activation with DJI: Every step works fine but the connection to DJI via Internet made problems. As far as I could see the WLAN connection made strange problems. I tried some things but I got not a result. I decides to upgrade the controller to the newest firmware release 1.0.400 using the Assist 2 tool (after switching off the Windows UAC). Again I run into new problems because the Smart Controller shuts down automatically after every 6 min. The only solution I found, was to hit the on/off key after every beeping anouncing the next shutdown. Finely the upgrade works fine. The update did not solve the mentioned network problem. Finely I found that the DHCP protocol did not work correctly when the network asked for an IP address. I had to provide the address manually. The DJI-design is only able to handle networks based on a 192.168.1.n design. When there is a network number different from 1 they provide a wrong IP-address and no connection is possible.
My experience with DJI is very young and I think they offer some nice products but also some details of the offert solutions are really terrible.
2019-3-21
Use props
fanse94d2546
New
Flight distance : 11778 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing!
2019-3-24
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Now it would be cool if DJI would enable "Save to Task Library".

On the SC and other Android based devices like the CrystalSky Monitor!

Hint Hint
2019-3-26
Use props
GAVIN BENJAMIN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97575 ft
Canada

if they would allow us to live stream from the drone via what ever app we have on this i would buy three. live stream drone to instagram or fb they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock
2019-3-27
Use props
coloradoskier
lvl.3
Flight distance : 906411 ft
  • >>>
United States

When will Go Share allow one to move RAW files?
2019-3-29
Use props
Sky Cam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10201549 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

In a rescue action, it is not important what it costs, it is important how long you need for the setup. Time is everything and can save lives.
2019-4-12
Use props
Malibu Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143898 ft
United States

Thanks for the honest review.
2019-4-24
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

herby68 Posted at 2-23 12:08
Ich habe seit 1 Monat den smart controller. Was ich sagen kann. Ich werde ihn, falls sich mittels software Update nichts ändert wieder verkaufen. Mein Standard Controller hat eine bessere Reichweite und stabilere Video Verbindung

Hallo Herby68

Und... wenn ich fragen darf, hast du den Smart Controller verkauft oder funktioniert er jetzt besser??

Grüße,

(Canon)Max
2019-5-3
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

herby68 Posted at 2-23 12:08
Ich habe seit 1 Monat den smart controller. Was ich sagen kann. Ich werde ihn, falls sich mittels software Update nichts ändert wieder verkaufen. Mein Standard Controller hat eine bessere Reichweite und stabilere Video Verbindung

Hallo Herby68

Und... wenn ich fragen darf, hast du den Smart Controller verkauft oder funktioniert er jetzt besser??

Grüße,

(Canon)Max
2019-5-3
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Thought’s…

I was planning to buy Mavic 2 pro, to this summer, or after and I was really exited when I saw this smart controller, so I thought for myself that it was exactly what I wanted.

Now, I’m not so sure anymore, I have seen a few vids on the tube about all the issues with this controller, so I’m probably skipping it, Mavic 2 pro, on the other hand, that’s another story. As for today I have only two Phantom 3 Pro.

I can recommend taking a look at the tube about the issues with smart controller, before you buy one.
2019-5-9
Use props
djiuser_XHkGGN2rQdmX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2320636 ft
Netherlands

Perfect info
2023-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules