Considering buying the Mavic Pro 2. Should i do it or wait?
1368 18 2019-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seedhe
New

Germany

So I have some extra cash that kinda dropped into my hands and I've considered buying the Mavic Pro 2. It seems like it's fairly "future proof" considering the 4K 10bit 100mbps specs, and it has some nice features. I just can't stop thinking "what will come next year". Yay or nay?

2019-2-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I say go for it
2019-2-15
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

This year only just started ...
2019-2-15
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

You can always wait for the next year in terms of technical evolution. You can only answer that for yourself.
2019-2-15
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

You can wait till die for the last technology.
2019-2-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day seedhe. Thank you for choosing DJI. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best drone DJI can offer. As of the moment we do not have any information on what drone will be launch in the future by DJI. For additional reference I will be posting a link where in you can find the overview and the specifications of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2?site=brandsite&from=nav
2019-2-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Always say 'nay' in live....saves a lot of much money !!  (but less fun so....)
2019-2-15
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Buy it , I have the Mavic 2 Pro and love it and have had zero problems with it ,  has a great camera  and  performs well in low light conditions.
2019-2-15
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

None of us are promised tomorrow.
2019-3-5
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

You should probably wait for the Mavic 8. You'll be retired by then and will have plenty of time to fly!
2019-3-5
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

My unpopular opinion here.
If you are chasing best 4K go for phantom 4 pro or advanced. It got mechanical shutter and 4k at 60fps.
For some reason people wont accept that mavic 2 pro is a fancy tripod with not the best camera out there. Phantom is a simple tripod with much better video and photo quality.
You can get Phantom 4 advanced with 2-3 extra batteries for less than mavic 2 pro and one battery.
Yes mavic 2 pro got its advantages over phantom but non of it in video/photo department.

Mavic with Zoom is different story. I would go for Enterprise if not Phantom.

2019-3-5
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

3BEPb Posted at 3-5 08:22
My unpopular opinion here.
If you are chasing best 4K go for phantom 4 pro or advanced. It got mechanical shutter and 4k at 60fps.
For some reason people wont accept that mavic 2 pro is a fancy tripod with not the best camera out there. Phantom is a simple tripod with much better video and photo quality.

Did you test both mavic 2 pro and PH4 videos or your opinion is based what some folks say here and there.? Mechanical shutter is just for photo and i saw lots of rolling shutter effects though the mechanical shutter. For videos, Ph4 has electronic shutter as M2P. Most people claim for 4k 60 fps, but why i need it. Just for fun. There are lots of M2P and Ph4 features wich is just for fun. Not useful at all. Almost all quick shots, for instance. I have gopro Karma too, and gopro 6 camera can shoot 4k 60fps. I ve never used it even on ground level. It is an action camera, and in this situation slow motion videos make too much more sense than for aerial videos. I think its not worth buying the out of production heavy and big Ph4 because of some myths.

I m not assume that Ph4 videos quality are better than M2P, but even if it is better in lab tests it is not true in real word situation. To be honest,  you have to compare 5d with cell cam to see any difference between both video quality.  And it is not a peace of cake. Many pro are using cell phone and 5 d together to make wedding videos and after some post processes you cannot notice any video quality difference. Thought Zoom and M2P have far different video specs, i do working with both drones and nobody can say that one is better than other.

Walk to the future not back to the past. Wait for Ph5 or go for M2P
2019-3-5
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 654528 ft
United States

What's coming is 6K @ 100fps with a possible 150fps @ 5K and compatible with a 1TB mircosdxc for storage. Can't say when for sure so, just do it!;-)
2019-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I highly recommend it.
2019-3-5
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Francis Posted at 3-5 09:11
Did you test both mavic 2 pro and PH4 videos or your opinion is based what some folks say here and there.? Mechanical shutter is just for photo and i saw lots of rolling shutter effects though the mechanical shutter. For videos, Ph4 has electronic shutter as M2P. Most people claim for 4k 60 fps, but why i need it. Just for fun. There are lots of M2P and Ph4 features wich is just for fun. Not useful at all. Almost all quick shots, for instance. I have gopro Karma too, and gopro 6 camera can shoot 4k 60fps. I ve never used it even on ground level. It is an action camera, and in this situation slow motion videos make too much more sense than for aerial videos. I think its not worth buying the out of production heavy and big Ph4 because of some myths.

I m not assume that Ph4 videos quality are better than M2P, but even if it is better in lab tests it is not true in real word situation. To be honest,  you have to compare 5d with cell cam to see any difference between both video quality.  And it is not a peace of cake. Many pro are using cell phone and 5 d together to make wedding videos and after some post processes you cannot notice any video quality difference. Thought Zoom and M2P have far different video specs, i do working with both drones and nobody can say that one is better than other.

what you posted is not new to me
Just go and check what m2p owners asking for DJI for future updates. It’s everything p4p already has. That is bottom line.

2019-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3BEPb Posted at 3-5 10:18
what you posted is not new to me
Just go and check what m2p owners asking for DJI for future updates. It’s everything p4p already has. That is bottom line.

What OcuSync 2.0 with a 1080p live feed, Waypoints 2.0, Point of interest 2.0, Active track 2.0, upward avoidance sensing, 8KM range, auto hyperlapse, 10 bit recording in log, Hasselblad colour science and optics, zero banding caused by props in the FOV, stable horizons, a fold up and go highly portable design with quiet motors that doesn't draw attention from far and wide, a 5.5K sensor with a 4K HQ crop... The Phantom 4 Pro has none of these features and the Advanced has even less (when they were relevant and not new-old-stock festering in a resellers warehouse as no longer sold by DJI lol). That is the bottom line!
2019-3-9
Use props
akman2014
lvl.2

United States

I say NO.  I upgraded from Phantom 3 to Mavic Pro Platinum.  Have yet to get it in the air...terrible firmware and customer support. Seriously considering sending it back.  Last thing I wanted to do was spend 2 full days dicking with firmware, programs, cables, etc...  I really hoped Mavic was an improvement over Phantom..maybe the hardware is better, but if you cannot install firmware it's just a paperweight.
2019-3-9
Use props
TRiPWiRE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 560472 ft
Australia

I have this conundrum when updating my PC. Do I get this GPU or do I wait for the next? How long do I wait? One generation or two... I could wait forever and there would still be something new on the horizon.

I just get the current gen and enjoy it. Hence, I now have a M2 Zoom and love it. I've already taken some great footage of both scenery and more importantly, our family. This is footage I wouldn't have if I decided to wait and see what is coming next. I'm happy with my decision. I've also started to learn video editing, which I wouldn't have done if I waited to see what DJI release next.

My brother in law owns a MP Platinum. He could have waited until the M2 series came out but didn't. He feels the same. In the time he's owned it he's had a heap of fun with it and also, has some amazing footage. He doesn't regret his purchase.

2019-3-9
Use props
Crash&Burn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is video your "thing" ? Or is it just to fly with video being a nice feature? People buy drones for a LOT of different reasons and there all valid. It's a hobby or a business? I'm assuming hobby. To some users the drone is a platform to create raw video source, their real fun is in post production, others just want FB ready video for their friends, some just like the thrill of flying over that hill and see what's on the other side, or around the drone park on a nice day, do you plan to travel a lot and need a small package like the Mavic?, or all of the above.....what ever you enjoy is up to you. If you do get one, fly it, fly it every chance you get, then fly some more. You have to get comfortable with the device and learn to control it and TRUST it. I took my first Mavic Pro on a 6 week road trip across Java and Bali islands, Indonesia and was so afraid to fly it I came back with just a few videos. OMG, now I fly in many situations and am always carful but much more comfortable, can't wait to return to Indonesia, Papua this time, but, to your question...The Mavic just seems to be a great all around device for a lot of people, and many people get some amazing and professional results with it. …

Now, wait for next year? Then what? You will not see the end of technology advances this year, next year, or any other year. If this all looks like fun don't waste you life thinking "damn that would have been fun"...go for it and have a blast....Just my opinion..
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules