** Solved ** P4P+ No maps away from Wifi. What am I doing wrong?
3978 22 2019-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CR125Honda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491975 ft
United States

Experienced RC flyer but new to DJI.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus, version one. I've been practicing at home, about 10 flights so far.
Yesterday, I went up the street to simulate a flight away from home, and away from my home wifi.
I could never get the maps screen to come up.
Assumed downloading the maps of the area of planned flight would provide the info needed without needing / using Wifi or Cellular data.
The threads on this that I've read so far seem to be a bit dated, and some didn't seem to jive with the P4P+.
I turned off the Wifi in DJI 4 Go this morning to simulate what I saw yesterday and took a couple screen pics to help describe.
Need to get this sorted. It flew fine away from home yesterday but RTH is an option when this happens.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ken

Note that this is the 4 Plus version. Seems to be a different sort of animal.

How it looked yesterday away from home Wifi  -  Blank Maps box                                       
IMG_7168_edited-1.jpg

Home area of maps I downloaded prior to that flight
IMG_7170_edited-1.jpg

Showing map I down loaded and renamed to my area
IMG_7171_edited-1.jpg

Wifi off to simulate what I saw yesterday.
IMG_7172_edited-1.jpg

Cell data off too
IMG_7173_edited-1.jpg

Cache settings
IMG_7174_edited-1.jpg

All up to date                                                                                          
IMG_7175_edited-1.jpg

Maps appear after Wifi is turned on - at home
IMG_7176_edited-1.jpg

2019-2-16
Use props
SlammyD90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4578816 ft
  • >>>
United States

The tablet needs to be connected to the internet for the maps to show. It is downloaded from a web server. Same thing with an IPad that isn't cellular.
2019-2-16
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

SlammyD90 Posted at 2-16 10:21
The tablet needs to be connected to the internet for the maps to show. It is downloaded from a web server. Same thing with an IPad that isn't cellular.

Thanks Sammy

Still confused.
Why is there an option to download maps then?
What else would that be used for?
Do I need to have internet (cell data) when away from home for the RTH option to work?

I know what your getting at but I'm nbot using a tablet or iPad.  The screen is attached on the Plus version.

Really not sure why there is a cellular option on the menu on the Plus RC.
I could set up hotspot.
Trying to find out if I really need to.
2019-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CR125Honda Posted at 2-16 10:38
Thanks Sammy

Still confused.

You do not need cell service for anything when flying aircraft, and it has nothing to do with RTH. The aircraft has its own GPS receiver, and it uses the GPS data to return home.

Maps can be cached while you are at home connected to WiFi, but once in the field, you are out of range of WiFi, and the plus model has no ability to connect via cellular servicves to the internet to obtain map data.
2019-2-16
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-16 13:53
You do not need cell service for anything when flying aircraft, and it has nothing to do with RTH. The aircraft has its own GPS receiver, and it uses the GPS data to return home.

Maps can be cached while you are at home connected to WiFi, but once in the field, you are out of range of WiFi, and the plus model has no ability to connect via cellular servicves to the internet to obtain map data.

Thanks Geebax,
Not seeing a position on screen had me concerned.
Normally I hear "Home position set" or "Home position has been updated" through the speaker prior to takeoff.
Don't think I got that audible yesterday before flight but cant be 100% sure.
Wasn't quite sure where it might go if I tried RTH.

Whats exactly, is the purpose of caching a map and when is that cached map being used?

2019-2-16
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

CR125Honda Posted at 2-16 15:26
Thanks Geebax,
Not seeing a position on screen had me concerned.
Normally I hear "Home position set" or "Home position has been updated" through the speaker prior to takeoff.

If you know where you want to fly ahead of time, while you have wifi at home, load the map to your flying location, then zoom out a bit so you get a few miles in all directions in view. Cache the map and you can use it when you fly from that location.
2019-2-16
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2-16 15:56
If you know where you want to fly ahead of time, while you have wifi at home, load the map to your flying location, then zoom out a bit so you get a few miles in all directions in view. Cache the map and you can use it when you fly from that location.

Assumed the zoom in and out method was for the tablet/iPad users.
Not the PLUS RC.
Will try that the next time out.

Do you know what the purpose of downloading maps (pics 2 & 3 above) into my controller is?
2019-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CR125Honda Posted at 2-16 16:14
Assumed the zoom in and out method was for the tablet/iPad users.
Not the PLUS RC.
Will try that the next time out.

'Do you know what the purpose of downloading maps (pics 2 & 3 above) into my controller is?'

It is done for the very reason that you may not have access to the Internet while flying. Many people do not use the map facility at all, as the aircraft is within sight of them when they are flying. And legally, that should always be the case. As long as you have a camera view, you can use that to navigate back home.
2019-2-16
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

Anyone following this thread, especially those with the PLUS version, a solution has been found!
Credit goes to Archaeo on Phantom Pilots site.

He knew to set Map view (Map layers icon on screen) to Standard.

Mine was set to Hybrid.

Wifi off, Aircraft connected
IMG_7181_edited-1.jpg

Wifi off, Aircraft Disconnected
IMG_7177_edited-1.jpg

2019-2-16
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-16 17:37
'Do you know what the purpose of downloading maps (pics 2 & 3 above) into my controller is?'

It is done for the very reason that you may not have access to the Internet while flying. Many people do not use the map facility at all, as the aircraft is within sight of them when they are flying. And legally, that should always be the case. As long as you have a camera view, you can use that to navigate back home.

"It is done for the very reason that you may not have access to the Internet while flying."

Not sure what you meant?
My guess is a lot of DJI users either have internet via hotspot on phone or sim in tablet, or via the zoom in and out method you mentioned, etc. and use maps while flying.

All of these are all nice features DJI has given us to make the experience fail safe and more enjoyable.
Frustrating when you know they are there but don't know how to activate them.

Fortunately,  we can help each other out here.
2019-2-16
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

CR125Honda Posted at 2-16 18:12
"It is done for the very reason that you may not have access to the Internet while flying."

Not sure what you meant?

What Geebax said simply was you can download the maps prior to leaving home  while you still have the internet and they will be available when you get to your flying location.   

Other than the novelty factor I see no need for them.
2019-2-16
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

EdM Posted at 2-16 19:17
What Geebax said simply was you can download the maps prior to leaving home  while you still have the internet and they will be available when you get to your flying location.   

Other than the novelty factor I see no need for them.

Thanks EdM,
The entire reason I started this thread was that I was NOT able to view the map doing exactly what Geebax mentioned and you quoted.   
---Download maps at home and have them available when I got to my flying location.---
That was NOT working for me.

I'm relatively new to DJI drones. Less than 10 hours on a P4P+.
Trying to learn about all the programming procedures and then go out and execute them.
Can only assume there are times maps would be useful.
Waypoints in "Intelligent Flight Mode" for instance?
As an experienced user, that you view them as novelty is fine.
But you had maps available and were able to make that judgement.
Until this evening when Archaeo helped. I didn't have that option.
I'm sure DJI invested quite a bit of time and money to include this feature.
I'm grateful now that I have that option and can now form my own opinion.

2019-2-16
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

CR125Honda Posted at 2-16 20:01
Thanks EdM,
The entire reason I started this thread was that I was NOT able to view the map doing exactly what Geebax mentioned and you quoted.   
---Download maps at home and have them available when I got to my flying location.---

it can be a pain trying to get these things to work at times, especially when you are not even exactly sure what something is supposed to do.  It would be nice if there was one place with all the answers.   I can tell you that it will get easier  as you progress.   Hang in there, you are entering a whole new world.
2019-2-16
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

CR125Honda Posted at 2-16 18:12

Not sure what you meant?

I personally use the hot spot on my phone and connect it to my tablet...let the map load then turn the hot spot off.
2019-2-17
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Since they switched to the new server you need download the maps before you fly guessing its a way to save storage on the device. In the old firmware they had the map stored on the remote and you didnt need it especially for the street maps but if you needed the satellite you need to download them
2019-2-17
Use props
goldenorfephoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3405390 ft
United Kingdom

on the start up screen , in the menu have you downloaded the offline map for your region ?   
    I just use hotspot from phone to load map when im out flying,   but most of the time there is no point as they are not needed
2019-2-17
Use props
SlammyD90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4578816 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you drive a newer GM vehicle you can add unlimited mobile wifi for $20 a month. I use mine while I'm driving to different locations to upload files. About the best deal you'll find for a hotspot.
2019-2-17
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

EdM Posted at 2-16 20:20
it can be a pain trying to get these things to work at times, especially when you are not even exactly sure what something is supposed to do.  It would be nice if there was one place with all the answers.   I can tell you that it will get easier  as you progress.   Hang in there, you are entering a whole new world.

Plan is to transition from 30 year career as a corporate pilot into and find my niche in this arena.

The newer jets are all computer driven (FMS).
Like anything, the more you use the FMS, the more familiar you became, the deeper you could dig.
Very similar type learning curve going on here.
Bent that curve yesterday.
Took me a half day online to figure out that map issue.
No biggie. I'm sure thing will get easier as time goes on. I'm in no hurry.

Fortunately, we have forums like this to help each other out.

Ken

BTW - Have the Aladdin theme song playing in my head after reading your last line.
Kids (and myself) enjoyed that movie.
2019-2-17
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2-17 00:10
I personally use the hot spot on my phone and connect it to my tablet...let the map load then turn the hot spot off.

There are a few significant difference’s in DJI GO 4 for the P4P and P4P+. This is one. With the plus version, we can choose an area then download the map (or maps). Until yesterday, it was frustrating to know I could download and save a map but could not use it.  I now know the cure was as simple as choosing Standard view instead of Hybird (or Satellite).  Nice to get this figured out. May come in handy if, for whatever reason, Plus users are unable to hook up to internet.
2019-2-22
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

BagoDJIoperator84 Posted at 2-17 05:34
Since they switched to the new server you need download the maps before you fly guessing its a way to save storage on the device. In the old firmware they had the map stored on the remote and you didnt need it especially for the street maps but if you needed the satellite you need to download them

Check my previous post. This is specific to Plus users.
2019-2-22
Use props
CR125Honda
lvl.3
United States

goldenorfephoto Posted at 2-17 08:53
on the start up screen , in the menu have you downloaded the offline map for your region ?   
    I just use hotspot from phone to load map when im out flying,   but most of the time there is no point as they are not needed

As above. Regards.
2019-2-22
Use props
BossOlive
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Uses Here maps now. I managed to downloadmy area  in here we go app. And now have offline maps with iOS just not satellite map.
https://youtu.be/ydvjJTY4T4w
2019-3-5
Use props
BossOlive
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Uses Here maps now. I managed to downloadmy area  in here we go app. And now have offline maps with iOS just not satellite map.
https://youtu.be/ydvjJTY4T4w
2019-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules