Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Review of the Titan Switch for Mavic Pro 2
3918 13 2019-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

I recently bought the Titan Switch antenna system for the Mavic Pro 2, this a short review of the product.

Reasonably priced for the amount of tech involved. The system is amplified with two sunhams 3 watt amplifiers. The system comes with two types of antennae, +5db whip antennae which are dual band and omni directional and a left hand circular polarized panel antenna at +9db. Titan recommend running the system amplified with the dual band whip antennae. There is an option to buy two 12 inch whip antennae which I did.

Being from the UK the M2Pro uses CE mode which has about a quarter of the power of FCC mode enjoyed by those people with this craft in the USA. Testing with the stock setup in auto frequency allowed about 1 to 1.5 km max distance before the signal dropped away on both video reception and RC transmission. The test was done in an area of the River Thames with no wifi interference and a clear horizon with nothing to interfere or scatter the signal. Weather was reasonable with lowish humidity and 21 degrees temperature, that celcius by the way. After using the Phantom 4 Pro for a few years I was dissapointed by the range on the M2Pro.

Now at this point I expect the drone police to show up and tell me that I cannot fly beyond vlos at 500 meters max. I always risk assess and take at least one spotter with me, and when flying at distance I use two spotters, one of which has 10 x 50 binoculars to keep an eye on the craft.

The installation of the Switch system while not simple, is achievable if you watch the Titan video on the system which detaills every step of the installation. It does add some extra weight to the system but not too much that it becomes a burden on long flights.

The test with the switch was done at a location I knew from previous flights. Flying at 115 meters in a straight line I was pleasantly surprised at the distance achieved, 5 kilometers out and 5 back. I had 4 bars of RC transmission and video reception at 5 kilometers when I turned around for the return to home section of the flight. Being omni directional boosted I didnt have to worry too much about pointing the antennae directly at the craft alll of the time, as I have to do when using my Titan Conquer 3 watt boosted linear antenna on my P4 Pro. Temperature was about 15 degrees with some cloud and the flight was through severly congested wifi areas, proving the boosted option can burn through the background noise from wifi routers. I returned to home with 43 percent battery left.

Alll in all I was impressed with the system and will do some further testing later this month

amplified with whips

amplified with whips

flight path

flight path
2019-2-17
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Or you could just do the CE to FCC hack and boost output and range/signal immediately without gadgets.

Not that I would recommend it but its cheaper and possibly as effective, perhaps more so.
2019-2-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it removable? How do you pack it for travel?
2019-2-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day SPIKE_151. Thank you for sharing this information and thank you for your support.
2019-2-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 2-17 06:59
Or you could just do the CE to FCC hack and boost output immediately without gadgets.

Not that I would recommend it but its cheaper.

FCC mode is 25dbm which is 0.3 watts, the switch is 3 watts boosted so even with the hack FCC has onlly one tenth the power output of the switch
2019-2-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2-17 07:03
Is it removable? How do you pack it for travel?

The amplifier and whip and LHC panel connect with quick connectors with military grade wiring ,, so its about 30 seconds to disconnect the aerial and antennae. I pack them all in a rucksack ,, the RC still fits in the DJI shoulder bag with the antennae demounted
2019-2-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2-17 07:15
The amplifier and whip and LHC panel connect with quick connectors with military grade wiring ,, so its about 30 seconds to disconnect the aerial and antennae. I pack them all in a rucksack ,, the RC still fits in the DJI shoulder bag with the antennae demounted

Where did you get it? What's the cost?
2019-2-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2-17 08:04
Where did you get it? What's the cost?

$349

https://www.commandcase.com/switch
2019-2-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2-17 08:33
$349

https://www.commandcase.com/switch

Thanks
2019-2-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

10km and having 42% batterie left? I'm amazed. I'm wondering how to achieve this.
My longest round trip was 17km and batterie was at 11% back home.
2019-2-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2-17 11:38
10km and having 42% batterie left? I'm amazed. I'm wondering how to achieve this.
My longest round trip was 17km and batterie was at 11% back home.

I had the  bird in gps mode and flew the entire trip at stick full forward at about 51 kp/h
2019-2-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2-17 12:00
I had the  bird in gps mode and flew the entire trip at stick full forward at about 51 kp/h

I guess you guys in the UK have thinner air
2019-2-17
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the interesting read and good info SPIKE_15.  It looks like a decent bit of kit and your signal results are impressive.  I may have to give the Titan Switch a go!

Your battery percentage seems totally reasonable by the way:
10km round trip with 42% power remaining = 5.8% per km, compared to Eric13's 17km round trip with 11% power remaining = 5.23% per km.

Cheers
2019-2-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

MrTitan Posted at 2-17 12:19
Thanks for the interesting read and good info SPIKE_15.  It looks like a decent bit of kit and your signal results are impressive.  I may have to give the Titan Switch a go!

Your battery percentage seems totally reasonable by the way:

I knew I should have paid attention at maths!  
2019-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules