Moving POI in Orbit mode
1445 9 2019-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tim Wiechers
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi there!

I'm pretty new here, but I am saving up money for the Mavic Pro 2 and I have a specific question that I cannot find answered in the way I might want to use it.

I am really amazed at the many things it can do allready, and maybe I am asking for too much. HOWEVER.. It would be awesome if it was possible to orbit around a moving object. And not just walking I mean. Let's say, on a longboard at 15 km ph or something. Is that even possible? I heard something about Litchi but other then that, no more information.
Why? I have seen some footage about a snowboarder where the camera flies around him when he jumps in mid air.. I found that SO INCREDIBLY amazing that I am wondering if this is possible on active track mode.

I am aware there are probably limitations on speed, but slow moving objects is possible I've seen. However, what would be the fastest speed to circle around an object automatically? And how did they do that with the snowboarder? Was that manually? Because it really looks amazing. I am aware that the rest of the functions, like being aware of the rest of the environment would be probably tricky, and the mavic will not sense other objects around it.. So You should be carefull off course. But , for instance, can I orbit myself on a longboard going 15 km ph, very close to me, and automatically?

Thanks in advance!
2019-2-19
Use props
TomThomson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383960 ft
Switzerland

Hi Tim
I think I know what you want - but I'm pretty sure that orbit mode is kind of GPS based because the drone does a sort of triangulation of the orbit center (aka POI) at the beginning. If that POI moves the drone still circles around the "old" center. which is empty  then ... But maybe someone found a way to deal with that?
By the way I'm very sure that footage of snowboarders (especially in air) were taken by a second person. I watched a short documentation about that - very impressive work of both the snowboarder and the drone pilot!
2019-2-19
Use props
Tim Wiechers
lvl.1

Netherlands

Ah that makes sense yes! Yes it looks very awesome, maybe I should just practice handling it manually while moving. Thanks for the reply! I am very new to this technology, and everything helps me to understand it better. I leave the topic open who knows somebody might know a way around it

Cheers!
2019-2-19
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

Tim Wiechers Posted at 2-19 13:42
Ah that makes sense yes! Yes it looks very awesome, maybe I should just practice handling it manually while moving. Thanks for the reply! I am very new to this technology, and everything helps me to understand it better. I leave the topic open who knows somebody might know a way around it  

Cheers!

You do this with Active Track in Trace mode. You'll see a left/right slider and that controls the speed and direction you "orbit" your subject.
2019-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

POI v2.0 or quick shot circle are options on the M2P but by the sounds it you'll want Active Track Trace with circle engaged - which it also has.
2019-2-19
Use props
Tim Wiechers
lvl.1

Netherlands

Oh so it's possible? AWESOME! Thanks! imma look on youtube again!
2019-2-19
Use props
Tim Wiechers
lvl.1

Netherlands

ladies and gentlemen... This is what I wanted to see... Thanks for the replies! It helped in the specific search

AWESOME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjO445hdnw

This definitely convinces me to buy a mavic pro 2
2019-2-19
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Just understand that is is not fool proof.  Active track can lose the subject; having a high contrast between the subject and surroundings helps.  Think about brightly colored clothing on subject.
2019-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tim Wiechers Posted at 2-19 21:11
ladies and gentlemen... This is what I wanted to see... Thanks for the replies! It helped in the specific search

AWESOME!

You're welcome
2019-2-20
Use props
Tim Wiechers
lvl.1

Netherlands

parkgt214 Posted at 2-19 21:51
Just understand that is is not fool proof.  Active track can lose the subject; having a high contrast between the subject and surroundings helps.  Think about brightly colored clothing on subject.

Great to know! Thanks!
2019-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules