Deciding when and when not to use ND filter
869 8 2019-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

Hey everyone, I understand the purpose, function and results of correctly using an ND filter. I wanted to get some idea on how you all decide when and when not to use them when doing an “unplanned” day. I was recently on vacation and somewhat struggled juggling switching ND filters on the spot. They’re tiny and not always easy to manage even with 2 hands free while standing/walking around. You gotta take the case out, open the not so easy Freewell ND case etc..

Again this was on a vacation and I just wanted to shoot clips that I can put together for personal use. I mainly shot 1080 (iPad transfer limitations) at 60fps on 1/120 just to give me that peace of mind that I can slow it down if I later choose to do so.

Do you guys have a general idea of what you’d shoot at 60fps vs 30fps for day to day stuff or just always shoot 60fps all the time to be on the safe side.

I understand that this all boils down to preference but I’m interested to hear how others handle their own scenarios just to get a better idea on what works for you guys.

Hopefully the question made sense and thanks!

2019-2-20
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

I personally never shoot with ND filters. I can add motion blur in post if needed but of course, that is extra work. However I prefer to grab as much info as possible when shooting - the sharpest image in each frame. Likewise shooting at 60fps gets you the most info but playing it back in 30fps is going to make it pointless to capture in 60fps unless you again do some post processing. The trade off is that 60fps is going to give you much larger files to work with (if you can increase the bit rate) or degrade each individual frame if you have a fixed bit rate. Since the OP has a fixed bit rate, the quality of each frame is going to be greater by shooting at a lower frame rate.
2019-2-20
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

View the video at the beginning of this Post.  Poster is a very experienced photog and does a really good job explaining the why and how.  On his YouTube channel you'll find other helpful videos as well.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181692
2019-2-20
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

https://forum.dji.com/thread-180888-1-1.html
I have done some test myself to figure out if I can get away with carring just one ND filter for convenience.
2019-2-20
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

RSW Posted at 2-20 10:55
I personally never shoot with ND filters. I can add motion blur in post if needed but of course, that is extra work. However I prefer to grab as much info as possible when shooting - the sharpest image in each frame. Likewise shooting at 60fps gets you the most info but playing it back in 30fps is going to make it pointless to capture in 60fps unless you again do some post processing. The trade off is that 60fps is going to give you much larger files to work with (if you can increase the bit rate) or degrade each individual frame if you have a fixed bit rate. Since the OP has a fixed bit rate, the quality of each frame is going to be greater by shooting at a lower frame rate.

Thanks! I shoot all of my videos with the intent of doing post after whether it be color grading or creative choices like adding music/speed ramping even for daily stuff like vacation clips so I just really keep it on 60fps to be on the same side.
2019-2-20
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

Tide Posted at 2-20 13:36
https://forum.dji.com/thread-180888-1-1.html
I have done some test myself to figure out if I can get away with carring just one ND filter for convenience.

Ditto, it would be nice to have one go to ND or maybe a more compact way to carry 6 filters while still allowing easy access when needed to swap. I just don’t like the idea of juggling too much things when it’s supposed to be portable.

Oh well, someone will always have something to complain about, right? Lol
2019-2-20
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pgytech 6 filters case is small and filters are held magnetically so they are easy to to remove and attach especially with the slotted casing. I can put it on or remove it even while filming. For a casual user like me that does not want to do a lot in post, having the 4 ND/PL set is great as I don't even use my phone most of the time so I don't want to have to worry about a rotating PL filer.
2019-2-20
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 2-20 16:50
Pgytech 6 filters case is small and filters are held magnetically so they are easy to to remove and attach especially with the slotted casing. I can put it on or remove it even while filming.

Their stuff is perfect as long as you don’t buy from them directly. I bought the gimbal cover directly from the site and havent received it yet. Then again they did state that it’s a long holiday in China right now so they’re not working for the last 3 weeks.

I think all ND filters are pretty much the same installation wise but I found myself shuffling around trying to open the Freewell ND case (not easy to open), closing it, putting the case away, taking out the OP, removing the exsisting filter sticking it onto some metal part of gimbal, attaching the correct one, putting the op away again to put the other filter away in the case.

I understand it sounds like just complaining but it does get a little flustering when you’re just trying to make minor changes.

I did bump the ISO to compensate for the exposure just to avoid changing filters.
2019-2-20
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

AmaDee Posted at 2-20 17:02
Their stuff is perfect as long as you don’t buy from them directly. I bought the gimbal cover directly from the site and havent received it yet. Then again they did state that it’s a long holiday in China right now so they’re not working for the last 3 weeks.

I think all ND filters are pretty much the same installation wise but I found myself shuffling around trying to open the Freewell ND case (not easy to open), closing it, putting the case away, taking out the OP, removing the exsisting filter sticking it onto some metal part of gimbal, attaching the correct one, putting the op away again to put the other filter away in the case.

Yea, they Chinese New Year did mess up delivery quite a bit. I managed to sneak in my orders before that and they only took about 10 working days to arrive in the US. The Pgytech case is easy to open since it's also magnetic. It snaps open and the cover will attach to the bottom of the case magnetically also. Filters are so much more easy to get out versus trying to dig them out of foam. I routinely take filter out or back into the case while still having the OP in hand.
2019-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules