How to Fly Safely Over Water
22513 65 2019-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_xCCqGxeQbmGk
New
United States

Thank you! Great material to learn and remember. Always looking to broaden my horizon.
2019-3-16
Use props
Mike Swiss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2352749 ft
Switzerland

sounds good ! gotta try that
2019-4-8
Use props
Decebalus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 203806 ft
Romania

AirButterflyDrone Posted at 2-21 10:55
great tips

thanks DJI Panda for your sharing

In your case, when you lose the radio signal, the drone is hovering. Let`s say that you cant resume radio link, and yor baterry is discharged to the threshold set for RTH ... what will the drone do ?  RTH or hover until it runs out of power and lands ?

2019-5-4
Use props
AirButterflyDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Egypt

Decebalus Posted at 5-4 01:33
In your case, when you lose the radio signal, the drone is hovering. Let`s say that you cant resume radio link, and yor baterry is discharged to the threshold set for RTH ... what will the drone do ?  RTH or hover until it runs out of power and lands ?

in which model are you asking?
anyway as far I know , Low Battery RTH and Failsafe RTH are 2 different situations and procedures

1st )Low Battery RTH is triggered when the Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft.
so ... in my opinion ... to be carefull when you are flying with less 30% battery life
If the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude a critically low battery level warning will be triggered and the aircraft will descend and land automatically. This procedure cannot be cancelled.

2nd) now dji drone can use Landing Protection fuction
and this fuction could be very useful when take off from a boat but keeping in mind some points

Landing Protection will activate during  RTH.
1. When Landing Protection determines that the ground is suitable for landing, the dji drones will land gently.
2. If Landing Protection determines that the ground is not suitable for landing, the dji drones will hover and wait for pilot confirmation.
3. If Landing Protection is not operational, the DJI GO 4 app will display a landing prompt when the dji drones descends below 0.5 meters. then you have to pull down on the throttle or use the auto landing slider to land.
BTW if we better check the dji manual
Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight , otherwise the aircraft will have no record of the Home Point’s terrain features.
b. During takeoff the aircraft must ascend vertically 7 m before moving horizontally.
c. The Home Point terrain features must remain largely unchanged.(useful in case boat position changed )
d. The Home Point terrain features must be sufficiently distinctive.
maybe a boat will be ok but not water becouse below point.e
e. The lighting conditions must not be too light or too dark.

and reading better and better ...

as per dji manual - RTH Procedure
Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH follow this procedure:
1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.
2. : a) b) c) where
a.) If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point it ascends to the pre-set RTH attitude and then flies to the Home Point.
b.) If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point it flies to the Home Point at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5 m, in which case the aircraft ascends
to 2.5 m and then flies to the Home Point.
c.) If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point it lands immediately.
3. The aircraft lands and stops its motors once it reaches the Home Point.

again
as per dji manual
- when use the Downward Vision System
operate the aircraft with great caution in the following situations:
- Flying over highly reflective surfaces.
- Flying over water or transparent surfaces

based on above points
my suggestions are , never flying with low battery level
to be very carefull when take off from a boat

in my opinion , when take off from a boat, is better don't use downward vision system .
forward and backward vision system, could be problem when you want back on board of your boat becouse this anticollision system will stop your drone a safe distance from obstacle ... where maybe obstacle will be your boat
(in this case you will need disactivate just before try to land if you don't have a helideck on your boat )

hovering fuction could be useful when :
a) you are flying in VLOS
b) you battery level is adequate and you loose signal
(even in 5m distance it will don't land but wait )
c) at the same time your boat already changed position

in this case ,when  your  setting was set hovering , you can move your boat close with your drone and resume its control

so , to be honest I'm so lucky ...(till now)
I never attemp to wait until my battery was depleted in hovering mode
and however I can't said yes or not on your question becouse I diden't try with last dji firmware this option...

Alex
http://www.airbutterflydrone.com/en/home

https://www.youtube.com/c/AirButterflyDrone

2019-5-4
Use props
Decebalus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 203806 ft
Romania

AirButterflyDrone Posted at 5-4 09:34
in which model are you asking?
anyway as far I know , Low Battery RTH and Failsafe RTH are 2 different situations and procedures

Let`s take for example the Mavic 2 zoom (and this time it will not take off from a boat). I just lost the signal between the remote and the drone, now the drone is hovering and allows me to try to restore the link(at least for a few minutes, which can be helpful to me). If I fail to restore the connection until the battery reaches the critical level that I set for Low Battery RTH, it will activate RTH and come home by herself. That's what I want to know if this scenario is plausible. If it is, then I will set my drone to hover when the signal is lost. I hope you understood what i want
2019-5-4
Use props
AirButterflyDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Egypt

Decebalus Posted at 5-4 12:10
Let`s take for example the Mavic 2 zoom (and this time it will not take off from a boat). I just lost the signal between the remote and the drone, now the drone is hovering and allows me to try to restore the link(at least for a few minutes, which can be helpful to me). If I fail to restore the connection until the battery reaches the critical level that I set for Low Battery RTH, it will activate RTH and come home by herself. That's what I want to know if this scenario is plausible. If it is, then I will set my drone to hover when the signal is lost. I hope you understood what i want

maybe I understand what you mean ...
but the best way for you ...
really ... not only for your case but is  what I recommend to my friends, is going out to do tests before being in real necessity ...

I did some tests with a phantom 4 pro and a mavic too but the firmware has already changed  2 time...
the new firmware could force the RTH if necessary ...
and recently I haven't tried ...

if you can do some tests ... let me know what your mavic does and what firmware you have  please...
this could be useful for everyone

my suggestions coming from my previous experiences where I was working for a photo shooting  over the lake ( sailing championships )
where I was in need to identify the risk and to found solutions...
at that moment some test has been done ... to be sure
you know what I mean ...

now , maybe yes , maybe not ... you have to try , becouse I really not sure ...
and this is true even for me ...
if I have to take off and want set my lost signal in Hovering ...
to make sure 100% what him will do... I have to make a test

2019-5-4
Use props
parzemis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256332 ft
United Kingdom

Thank you for the tips!
2019-5-26
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've flown a callizion times over water and have gotten as close as 10 inches and I've never had to turn off the vision sensors. I've flown even as close 10 inches above water.
2019-5-29
Use props
Miro Perez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25374 ft
United States

Great tips
2019-8-24
Use props
TTP
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3002054 ft

Flying over water.

Murphy’s 3.e law can kick in when you least expect, my solution is to put on pontoons, a low cost relative my M2P.
2019-9-20
Use props
DJDudu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 102631 ft

good tips. Many thanks!
2019-9-28
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Great tips. Thanks for sharing.
2020-1-16
Use props
red squirrel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55610 ft
United States

Thank you both DJI Panda and AirButterflyDrone for the useful tips!
2020-2-2
Use props
Scottyp7
lvl.1
Canada

I have a question, does anyone know if a mavic mini will float, or sink, if it ends up in the water? I live right on the Columbia River ( 50 yards from my back deck) and if it floats I could use the boat to try to recover. If it sinks I will be out of luck. I believe you need to send it in to get a replacement with DJI Care. Thanks...
2020-2-13
Use props
sparkflier14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

Thank you. However, my Spark has no vps turnoff function.
2020-2-23
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

thanks for a nice tutorial
2020-3-15
Use props
Vancitydrone
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

thanks for the tip! gonna try it when the weather gets better
2020-3-22
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Great tips and suggestions. Thanks for posting .
2020-4-9
Use props
sparkflier14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

My dji spark has a fixed on vps. I can’t turn it off.
2020-4-24
Use props
JMynes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228012 ft
United States

sparkflier14 Posted at 4-24 11:11
My dji spark has a fixed on vps. I can’t turn it off.

It would be nice if the DJI Fly app had an option to turn off VPS.
2020-5-17
Use props
DJISpark_E.D.I.T.H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3458 ft

India

Hi,
I am new to this and cant find any option for spark
2020-5-21
Use props
DJIMNYD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 390564 ft
Malaysia

Great tips and thanks.
2020-5-27
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

------->   HELP  <-------
      Hi Guys!  Good morning!  

I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings.

Is there a way to set a "LOW ALTITUDE WARNING"  on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone?

I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it. The idea is to increase altitude if I get below 5 or 10 meters. without realizing I did and prevent getting submerged.

I can't believe there are so many warnings except a LOW-ALTITUDE one. All commercial  Airplanes have several "LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS".

Could anybody please please;  contact DJI engineers and bring the idea?  It will bring more safety to the drones and would be a very substantial improvement.

Sincerely,
       Lesmex F.
2021-6-8
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

-------> HELP# <-------

Hi Guys! Good morning!

I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings where I live.

Is there a way to set a " LOW ALTITUDE WARNING"  on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone?

I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it. Sometimes I forget to look at the altitude for a long time.

A "LOW ALTITUDE WARNING" would be life-saving. The idea is to increase altitude if I get below 5 or 10 meters without realizing I did. To prevent getting submerged in the water. I already lost the Mavic mini on the Bay. I know where it is, but I can't retrieve it.

I can't believe there are so many warnings except a low-altitude one. All commercial airplanes have several LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS.

Could anybody please; contact DJI engineers and bring the idea? [color=var(--paper-input-container-input_-_color, var(--paper-input-container-input-color, var(--primary-text-color)))]I am still a novice, dont know how to do it by myself.
[color=var(--paper-input-container-input_-_color, var(--paper-input-container-input-color, var(--primary-text-color)))]

The warning will bring more safety and joy to the flying experience and would be a very substantial safety improvement for everybody.

Sincerely,

Lesmex F.
2021-6-8
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681283 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Thank you DJI PANDA.... I know this is an old Post but I was Pointed here by DJI Stephen.. as I intend to fly this weekend from a boat.  Very useful tips.. I learnt alot... Thank you
2022-4-26
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

great tips!!!!!!!
2022-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules