XT2 Spot Temperatures way off!
3000 6 2019-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ISeeIt.ca
lvl.2
Canada

I recently did a job (M600/RTK/XT2) and had great success. The images were excellent.

The problem was the spot temperatures. When I compared my XT2 radiometric still spot temperatures with the exact same shot but with a FLIR T660 (top of the line handheld) my XT2 temperature were off by about -8C.

i.e.
T660 - image shows temperatures ranging from -3.6C to -5.1C. with an outside temperature was about -7C.
XT2 - image shows temperatures ranging from -11.7C to -13.3C. outside temperature was about -7C

For qualitative analysis no big deal as you are mainly looking for hot/cold signatures.
For quantitative analysis temperatures are needed and should be accurate.

Any reason why I'm getting this discrepancy?
They are both FLIR 640 x 512 sensors.

TIA
Rick
2019-2-21
Use props
broadlandboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

Were the distances from sensor to target the same. As I seem to recall that the more space /air between the target & sensor will effect the temp reading.
2019-2-21
Use props
ISeeIt.ca
lvl.2
Canada

They were pretty much the same distance but it should matter. These two sensors are 640x512 and should be able to get accurate temperature data from this distance, 100’.

I’ve been pinging FLIR for 2 weeks now and no body is answering.

I can’t believe this is normal.
Got this new camera last May.
2019-2-22
Use props
fansd05c012d
lvl.1
Canada

Hello. Did you get any answers? I am having the same problem and it's just waay too off!
2019-8-27
Use props
broadlandboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

Dji give a + - 10degees C  as acceptable.
Waiting the return , after 3 months, of my XT2 from DJI, & Flir, due to in accuracy
2019-8-27
Use props
Milad1989
lvl.1

Canada

Hello Everyone,

I am having the same issue with quantitative measurement with XT2. I did couple of tests and compared results of measurements with handheld camera (Flir A65). The tests were both inside and outside of building . When both XT2 and handheld camera where inside the building they showed almost the same temperature. However, when I took them out to measure the surface temperature of a wall, XT2 showed very strange results like -6 degree which was completely unrealistic as the outside temperature was 6 degree above zero and the handheld camera showed the temperature +7 degree.  We did the tests couple of times and looks like the XT2 is influenced by the ambient temperature and when the outside is cold the temperatures are way off. It is to be mentioned that these measurements were done without flying the drone (stationary).

Another tests also I did while we were running the drone and at that the temperature was even worse and the surface temperature measurements reduced dramatically during the flight (from -5 to -30). Again, the outside was 8 degree above zero and we were sure that the surface temperature should be above zero. Here, we found that it looks like the induced wind by the prop affects the measurement (cooling effect on the drone).

Generally, if anyone had the same issue please let me know as we don't know still the XT2 is not calibrated or there is some issue in detector of camera or any other possibilities.

Thanks
2020-11-10
Use props
Milad1989
lvl.1

Canada

Is there anyone able to help me with the following issue?
2020-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules