Focus Handwheel 2 Doesn't Give Me Full Focus Range
1566 5 2019-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blickenstaff
lvl.1
United States

Video of my issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/54tcj47twk64ckj/focus-handwheel2.mov?dl=0 – Watch as I crank the focus wheel from one end to the other, you'll see that the little focus bars (what you'd use to manually focus using the DJI Go app) only barely moves. So it's controlling the focus, but only within a small window.

I'm brand new to Osmo Pro, X5, and the Focus Handwheel 2. I got them connected to each other communicating properly. LED lights up, I can switch between Focus Mode and Aperture Mode. Everything seemed to be working as expected, but I noticed that I wasn't getting the full focus range when using the Handwheel. Please note that the mechanical limits (the screws you can use to set hard stops at either end) are wide open.

Using manual focus in the DJI Go app, I'm able to focus from infinity to really close up. But when I'm using the handwheel, I noticed that I wasn't able to focus out to infinity. I referred to the user manual and tried to update "Travel Range Settings" by pressing the LENS button and setting my upper and lower travel limits, but this didn't make any discernible difference. Next I tried to calibrate the lens by turning it ON and rotating the focus wheel back and forth 4 times within 5 seconds. This seemed to make the issue even worse. Now when I turn the focus wheel all the way from one end to the other, the focus reading on the CrystalSky barely moves at all. It seems like its an issue with the "Travel Range Settings" found in the manual, but no combination of pressing the LENS button and rotating the wheel has helped.

I'm running currenty firmware on the Osmo Pro (1.4.0.70) and I've even tried flashing the Osmo firmware (seems to be the standard go-to response from DJI support in this forum). I've been scouring the internet trying to find a way to reset the Handwheel back to factory defaults any success.

Anyone have any ideas? Would really love to get the Focus Handwheel working as this thing is basically worthless without it. Thanks for reading.
2019-2-21
Use props
MenSch0r
lvl.3
Switzerland

You have to calibrate you focus wheel. When you start your OSMO, turn the focus wheel from left to right and from right to left and again and again and again until the OSMO is ready for use.
I think you will find this information in the description from the focuswheel.
2019-2-25
Use props
blickenstaff
lvl.1
United States

MenSch0r Posted at 2-25 04:35
You have to calibrate you focus wheel. When you start your OSMO, turn the focus wheel from left to right and from right to left and again and again and again until the OSMO is ready for use.
I think you will find this information in the description from the focuswheel.

Thanks for the reply.

In my original post, I said I "calibrated the lens." What I meant was I "calibrated the Focus Wheel." I did this by following the instructions in the user manual: turn it on, rotate the focus wheel back and forth 4 times in 5 seconds.

As I mentioned, every time I tried this, it seemed to make the issue even worse. Before calibrating, I was able to access about 50% of the focal range. After calibrating several times, now I'm down to 5% of the focal range.
2019-2-25
Use props
MenSch0r
lvl.3
Switzerland

blickenstaff Posted at 2-25 07:37
Thanks for the reply.

In my original post, I said I "calibrated the lens." What I meant was I "calibrated the Focus Wheel." I did this by following the instructions in the user manual: turn it on, rotate the focus wheel back and forth 4 times in 5 seconds.

Okey
have you tried with another Lens?
And, in the DJIApp you can switch from Manuel to Auto Focus. Try it from this way to deactivate and activate the Focus. And also try with no calibration in the beginning time.
And try it with plugin the focuscable by an running system.

Sorry for my english
2019-2-26
Use props
blickenstaff
lvl.1
United States

MenSch0r Posted at 2-26 04:40
Okey
have you tried with another Lens?
And, in the DJIApp you can switch from Manuel to Auto Focus. Try it from this way to deactivate and activate the Focus. And also try with no calibration in the beginning time.

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll give them a try when I get home tonight. Unfortunately I don't have another lens I can try it with.

Can you rephrase this suggestion? I don't understand:And try it with plugin the focuscable by an running system.

Thanks!
2019-2-26
Use props
Nuno Qua
lvl.1
Portugal

blickenstaff Posted at 2019-2-26 06:52
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll give them a try when I get home tonight. Unfortunately I don't have another lens I can try it with.

Can you rephrase this suggestion? I don't understand:And try it with plugin the focuscable by an running system.

hello, did you found any solution? i having the same issue...
2020-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules