New Canadian rules ... disaster pt.1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Before this Summer, every owner of a drone in Canada must register his/her bird and pass the knowledge exam. I just took online exam for advanced certificate and ... failed spectacularly. Immediately after I took supposedly easier exam for basic certificate, and failed again.

The reason? Approximately 75% of exam questions is absurdly irrelevant and unrelated to the scope of typical recreational flying the basic certificate is designated for. I may understand the complexity of advanced operations and required knowledge, but requirements to get basic certificate for Spark pilots? As an enthusiast, hobbyist and amateur landscape photographer I have no idea nor care about radio communication frequencies, wordings and procedures, Canada Flight Suplement documents, aviation time zones, navigation map types, names of clouds or the functions of a rudder stick in between bi-plane pilot's legs. I don't know if 10 hours of recovering is enough between emptying Jack Daniels at a campfire and safely flying a drone ... Maybe 24 hours is a statutory requirement to be back in good shape?

To avoid possible accusations of taking the matter lightly, I purchased theorethical ground school training some time ago, provided by one of officially recognized local companies. It was a waste of time and money, 750 USD for 16 hrs long course targeting commercial drone pilots I have no intention to be. The irony is that the same, mostly irrelevant topics I didn't care to memorize are - in fact - included in basic certificate exam questions.  

So, what next? I can take the online exam as many times as I wish, paying $10 each time until I get passing 60% correct answers for 30 multiple choice questions. Anyone knows how many charts of Visual Flight Rules Terminal Area is published by NAV Canada? What, you don't know what VTA is???!!!  

2019-2-22
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

"Radio communication frequencies, wordings and procedures, Canada Flight Suplement documents, aviation time zones, navigation map types, names of clouds or the functions of a rudder stick in between bi-plane pilot's legs."

Aside from the last item these are all things I've used during my time as a commercial remote pilot operating under Part 107.

You took the advanced test, provided that's not the requirement for hobbyists I see no major issue here. I'm a bit confused as to how you're familiar with advanced operations yet you complain about failing the test.
2019-2-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Matthew, my apologies for the inconvenience. We are really sorry that we cannot give you an immediate confirmative answer on your questions because we are still working on the compliance program for the new Canadian regulation. Please refer to press release on our official website if there is any updates. We are really thankful for your understanding and support.
2019-2-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

HyperSpectral Posted at 2-22 04:49
"Radio communication frequencies, wordings and procedures, Canada Flight Suplement documents, aviation time zones, navigation map types, names of clouds or the functions of a rudder stick in between bi-plane pilot's legs."

Aside from the last item these are all things I've used during my time as a commercial remote pilot operating under Part 107.

Hyper, if you read my post again you'll find a sequence stating that "... I may understand the complexity of advanced operations and required knowledge, but (knowledge requirements to get) basic certificate  by (DJI) Spark pilots? ..."

So, I'm not really complaining about the scope and challenges of Small Advanced Exam questions. However, I've found irrelevance of questions from within Small Basic Exam content, which doesn't reflect the reality of recreational flying.

In conclusion it is obvious that new Canadian regulations may represent serious challenges to comply with. Any attempts to take the online exam without studying first may - and most likely will - fail. And - to avoid misunderstandings - this advice doesn't apply only to professionals scanning terrain below with Lidar equipment under M600 belly. New rules affects selfie makers and Thailand vacationers as well ...
2019-2-22
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Matthew,

I can see your pain! Those are just absolutely irrelevant to those like us who came to this hobby just for landscape photography and for enjoyment of freedom when flying in open sky in the countryside!

Unfortunately the same situation is happening here in HK - the Government of HK had in 2018 conducted a public consultation on gathering public opinions on regulating drone flying. I gave up sending in opinions because to me, the Government would enact their regulations regardless of what public opinions the Government would have received.

We are at the juncture of awaiting the Government's announcement of local regulations on regulating drone flying, likely requiring registering and labelling every drone exceeding 200g, requiring licensing of drone operators who must have passed certain knowledge exams, maintaining of valid third party insurance for drone operations, and the setting up of statutory no-fly zones, etc.

We can hardly fly our drone in the future! What a pity!

Henry
2019-2-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2-26 05:42
Hi Matthew,

I can see your pain! Those are just absolutely irrelevant to those like us who came to this hobby just for landscape photography and for enjoyment of freedom when flying in open sky in the countryside!

Henry, thank you for spiritual support ... Indeed, it's a pity. Thing is that these new harsh regulations come up like a thunder, although expected. I was absolutely not aware of public consultations prior to announcement. I'm pretty sure these regulations are the result of conspiracy against growing numbers of enterprises, competing with professional, well established drone service companies with government connections. Sadly, it affects people like you and me, having absolutely no intention to compete with anybody but ourselves.

Needless to say, I'm not going to quit this hobby, exams passed or not. The one and only authority to force me to quit is my doctor ...

Cheers, Brother Henry.
2019-2-26
Use props
sasmsmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59196 ft
United States

Regulations aren't the result of a conspiracy, they are the result of hobby pilots, not so different than yourself, that ignore common sense and buzz airplanes.

If you're being responsible when flying then you shouldn't have a problem with the new regulations because they will make it easier to crackdown on the idiots, but seeing as you have quite a number of complaints, I'm led to believe you are one of the idiots.
2019-3-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

sasmsmith Posted at 3-20 11:46
Regulations aren't the result of a conspiracy, they are the result of hobby pilots, not so different than yourself, that ignore common sense and buzz airplanes.

If you're being responsible when flying then you shouldn't have a problem with the new regulations because they will make it easier to crackdown on the idiots, but seeing as you have quite a number of complaints, I'm led to believe you are one of the idiots.

Ouch, that hurts ... I'm not sure I deserve such assault ... It's not nice to punch an retiree on a wheelchair ...
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules