Motor Problem Dji Phantom 2 Vision Plus
7483 15 2014-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simonfeaugas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

I have a problem with one motor? Whats the best way to solve it, since I'm way to far for sending it to china
Here is the link to see the problem.

2014-9-19
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

If you are concerned that one motor stops before the rest, don't get too alarmed yet.
The way the DJI motors are built, the thickness of the spacer washer under the cir-clip could be causing that motor to be a little tighter than the others, but still within specifications.
Keep an eye on that motor for heat, noise, and bearing play.
The bearing play will be almost undetectable, but if you gently pull in and out (and then sideways) on the shaft, you'll actually feel the play.
The motor will either loosen up like the rest, or you'll experience one or more of the tell-tails above.
If the tell-tails arise, eventually you'll have to replace the motor.
In the meantime, there's not much to do but fly...

Note: These motors don't just fail.
If you're alert, you'll get plenty of warning before you have issues.
Motor replacement is part of this hobby.
They are your major wear point, and don't last forever...

FWIW, I've got dozens of logged hours on DJI motors.
I've flown some P1 motors untill the play seemed enough to let the magnets touch the windings.
I've never had a motor failure.
But, I'm OCD, and I pay attention to the tell-tails...
2014-9-19
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simon, in the event you do need service, you know they have locations in the US. Not sure if you are in USA, but there are several service centers to ship to here, instead of China. Best of luck!
2014-9-19
Use props
simonfeaugas
lvl.4
Dominican Republic

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-9-20 02:04
If you are concerned that one motor stops before the rest, don't get too alarmed yet.
The way the DJ ...

Thanks for your reply! Very well explain! I'll keep flying!
2014-9-20
Use props
simonfeaugas
lvl.4
Dominican Republic

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-9-20 12:17
Simon, in the event you do need service, you know they have locations in the US. Not sure if you are ...

Thanks for the reply! Actually im in Dominican Rep. In the worst case i can travel to US and take it!
2014-9-20
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

simonfeaugas@gm Posted at 2014-9-20 23:08
Thanks for the reply! Actually im in Dominican Rep. In the worst case i can travel to US and take  ...

Hi, also read somewhere that it helps if you apply just one drop of oil between the bearings, im not sure about this but you might want to research this a bit.
2014-9-23
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

uhayat@hotmail. Posted at 2014-9-24 01:44
Hi, also read somewhere that it helps if you apply just one drop of oil between the bearings, im n ...

Be careful oiling!
There has been much discussion about the pros & cons.
Some pilots (and they are a minority) swear by it.
Others (in what seems to be a majority) have never considered it.
FWIW, the motors (if kept clean) do well with no additional oiling.
Once you start, the oiling procedure seems to dilute the thicker lubricant installed in the bearing at manufacture.
And then you have to keep oiling...
Also, the excess oil (slung out of the motor bearings) can soften plastics.

If you do it, the one drop recommendation is a good rule of thumb.
If you have any doubts or reservations about this, please do some research before proceeding...
2014-9-23
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Dominican Republic

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-9-24 02:08
Be careful oiling!
There has been much discussion about the pros & cons.
Some pilots (and they are ...

So Bad New here! I didn't change the motor on time and on December 28th, wild flying over water the motor stop and the phantom fell to the sea! Dead Phantom! I did recover the phantom, but not able to make it work again!

So I learned that I should have change the motor!
2015-1-19
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Dominican Republic

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-9-20 12:17
Simon, in the event you do need service, you know they have locations in the US. Not sure if you are ...

So Bad New here! I didn't change the motor on time and on December 28th, wild flying over water the motor stop and the phantom fell to the sea! Dead Phantom! I did recover the phantom, but not able to make it work again!

So I learned that I should have change the motor!
2015-1-19
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Dominican Republic

And i knew that was the motor bc the first thing i did after taking out of the water, I checked el the motor and that same motor was stuck! :@
2015-1-19
Use props
lloydburdis54.e
New

United Kingdom

Hi need help before I spend more money!
a few weeks back my phantom tumbled out the sky from about 75 ft broke a landing skid but all seemed fine carried on flying for another 10 minutes I have not flown it since then, however I did put on prop protector to have look then took them off but I just put the larger bolts back.
I went to fly it today and when I started the motors all 4 just juddered and turned very slow, I unpluged the power tried another battery the same thing happened and one the motors did nothing, do you think I have damaged the motors or is there another reason this would happen.
many thanks
Lloyd
2015-1-22
Use props
cayers13.email
lvl.3

United States

what kind of noise will the motor make indicating it needs to be replaced? how long should they last in general before needing replacement?
2015-1-22
Use props
pcvr.mac1system
New

United Kingdom

lloydburdis54.e Posted at 2015-1-22 21:44
Hi need help before I spend more money!
a few weeks back my phantom tumbled out the sky from about 7 ...

If you mean the two longer bolts used to attach the prop guards - then you may well have screwed them in far enough to collide with the bottom of the motors. My guards came with a leaflet warning against fitting the longer screws.

Philip
2015-2-14
Use props
djichris1977
New

Sweden

It seems like have done exactly the same thing. Installed the longer bolts that were intended for the prop guard:-( Now two of the engines won't move anymore.
Do you guys think I burnt the Engines or could it be even worse?  
2015-4-30
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Yep you got a problem.  I think you might have some sand or dirt in the right front motor.  There are a lot of youtube videos to show you how to clean it out.

Either that or you can put some dirt in the other 3 motors and then they might all stop at the same time...sorry, don't to that.  
2015-4-30
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Taking the prop guard off and installing the longer screw back without the guards can and most likely will damage the windings on the motors. You  need to pull those long screw if your not using the prop guards. You will most likely sharpen up your soldering skills and replace the motors that are damaged.
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules