Ollie Bird avoided the tree/sensor worked
1146 9 2019-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ollie Bird
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581873 ft
United States

Finally got to fly today after two months, still a newbie. Thought I would share this short uninteresting video about how the sensor worked on a RTH. It happens at about 1:34 on the video. I was looking at an Ipad with the sun at my back so I couldn't see very well when I heard an alert and after downloading the video, I was impressed and thankful for things working as they're supposed to. Ollie Bird (my drone) didn't want to fly through the tree. Also at the end of the video you can see a precise landing within 1 inch of original takeoff down from 122 ft. By the way I had set my RTH alt at 98 ft; it appears the tree was about 110 ft.

2019-2-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like you had some distance there. Glad you got it back in one piece.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ollie Bird. Thank you for sharing this video and your experience with us in flying your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Lucky, change RTH it should be higher than any obstacle where your flying .
2019-2-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great! thanks for sharing your experience!
2019-2-25
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

That is what it is supposed to do if the settings are correct.
2019-2-25
Use props
Brownie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1045928 ft
United States

Glad to know it worked as supposed too!
2019-2-25
Use props
Ollie Bird
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1581873 ft
United States

Thanks everybody. A couple of lessons learned on this flight, set RTH higher for this area and do something to reduce glare on I-pad. I had a hood on but the sun was at my back and the lighting got bad about the time of the tree encounter so I didn't see it until after. Need to be more vigilant. It was still fun anyway and the landings impress me.
2019-2-25
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

Visual line of sight?  Man, your eyes are better than mine...
You got really lucky that flight is almost 100% automated these days with DJI software.  Just put your money down and push "play".
2019-2-26
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Ollie Bird - nice scenery, nice RTH as well, although you were a bit away from "the spot."  Thanks for sharing.
2019-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules