Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Moderators ... What's going on with the Phantom 4 pro?
123Next >
14847 92 2019-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's been out of stock for almost 4 months now and all anyone knows is the rather lame explanation that this was due to component supply difficulties.
If it was available again 2 weeks later, that would have been OK, but months later, that story just doesn't wash.
So how about asking around at DJI and coming back with a believable explanation of what's going on with the Phantom series.

I don't really expect you to because you never supply any real information.
But I'm putting it out there that there's obviously more to this story than your previous "explanation".
What are you going to tell us this time?

2019-2-24
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fair to say, the Phantom 4 Pro series is now no longer available.  It's showing Discontinued in most online US retailers, and they had supply for 2 or so months after DJI ran out in mid October 2018.  B&H I believe is now showing the P4 Pro in white back in stock.  But that is the only one they have.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... pro_quadcopter.html

P4 Pro Vr 2.0 had the shortest life span of any recent DJI drone I know of. 6 months or less.

Paul C
2019-2-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Short lived, but highly respected. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-2-24
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

What about parts and Insurance! anyone heard anything about DJI also dropping Service for our P4P's
2019-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

P4PCommander Posted at 2-24 11:50
What about parts and Insurance! anyone heard anything about DJI also dropping Service for our P4P's

Just like car manufacturers, DJI (and other sources) sell parts long after production stops.
Insurance ??  What's that got to do with it?
2019-2-24
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I get the feeling no ,or at the most, a canned answer is all we'll get about that question.  
2019-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ALABAMA Posted at 2-24 14:06
I get the feeling no ,or at the most, a canned answer is all we'll get about that question.

A canned answer is all you ever get here.
And when you do, it may as well come from a robot.
It never has anything to make you believe it comes from anyone that actually flies these things.
2019-2-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

At least @DJI Ken was an actual drone pilot and an awesome mod.

I miss him. Wish him well...

RedHotPoker
2019-2-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Once again, the moderators have gone missing on this subject. How about doing something radical and getting us an answer? We should bump this every day until we get an answer....
2019-2-25
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

good questioning, you can get it at amazon though
2019-2-25
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

https://dronedj.com/2019/01/27/dji-phantom-5-rumors/
2019-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The "rumours" in that piece are simply guesses or someone's wish list.
There's little/no evidence for most of them.

you can get it at amazon though
That's all old stock.
They haven't been making new ones since the end of October.

2019-2-25
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-25 16:16
The "rumours" in that piece are simply guesses or someone's wish list.
There's little/no evidence for most of them.

ok, good points
2019-2-25
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

We need to live in the modern world now. Just because you can't get it direct from DJI it doesn't mean that it's obsolete. Besides DJI being short in parts supply because a bad relation popped up doesn't mean everyone should abandon the platform. Actually yes, everyone should abandon it so I have supply for the next 5 years...
I can order the P4P V2 online from 7 reputable resources with 1-year warranties right now while a large contractor the we are subcontracting for has been two weeks for a replacement and I have been flying in supplement.
IANW.
2019-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CHASCOADMIN Posted at 2-25 17:24
We need to live in the modern world now. Just because you can't get it direct from DJI it doesn't mean that it's obsolete. Besides DJI being short in parts supply because a bad relation popped up doesn't mean everyone should abandon the platform. Actually yes, everyone should abandon it so I have supply for the next 5 years...
I can order the P4P V2 online from 7 reputable resources with 1-year warranties right now while a large contractor the we are subcontracting for has been two weeks for a replacement and I have been flying in supplement.
IANW.

Read post #12
2019-2-25
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-24 13:18
Just like car manufacturers, DJI (and other sources) sell parts long after production stops.
Insurance ??  What's that got to do with it?

I assume the poster assumes DJI sends new drones for insurance replacements. They just send refurbs.
2019-2-26
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I can very well imagine the Phantom time is over. It became obsolete with the Mavic 2.
I don't think it is a coincidence that introduction of the Mavic 2 and production stop of the P4P happened around the same time: Sept/Oct 2018.
Everyone wanted a Mavic 2 and P4P sales plummeted. The P4P still has some advantage over the Mavic 2 but these details
are probably of little interest to the vast majority of Phantom buyers=hobbyists.

DJI doesn't care about our nostalgic feelings. Sales is all that counts.
2019-2-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2-26 14:22
I can very well imagine the Phantom time is over. It became obsolete with the Mavic 2.
I don't think it is a coincidence that introduction of the Mavic 2 and production stop of the P4P happened around the same time: Sept/Oct 2018.
Everyone wanted a Mavic 2 and P4P sales plummeted. The P4P still has some advantage over the Mavic 2 but these details

veryone wanted a Mavic 2 and P4P sales plummeted.
The reason sales plummeted was that DJI haven't been making Phantoms since late October.
Production stopped ---> sales dropped.  Not the other way around.
2019-2-26
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

What is your point? Mine was that just because the factory isn't selling them doesn't mean that the platform should be abandoned by us. Old stock, whatever... I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the P4P's flying today came from boxes sitting in some warehouse for several years.
2019-2-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CHASCOADMIN Posted at 2-26 19:20
What is your point? Mine was that just because the factory isn't selling them doesn't mean that the platform should be abandoned by us. Old stock, whatever... I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the P4P's flying today came from boxes sitting in some warehouse for several years.

Is anyone saying the platform should be abandoned? No-one that I have seen. And no, that stock would not have been hanging around in a warehouse for years, you have no idea of supply chain logistics.
2019-2-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CHASCOADMIN Posted at 2-26 19:20

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the P4P's flying today came from boxes sitting in some warehouse for several years
The majority ??  Several years in some warehouse??
If that was the case, DJI wouldn't have had to make any P4 pros for the last two years.

Hardly .. since the oldest P4P flying today is just over two years old.
Geebax was correct with everything he mentioned.

As for abandoning the P4 pro, I'm not sure where you got that weird idea from.
I'll wait for a better camera drone to be available fefore I move on from the P4 pro.

2019-2-26
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-26 19:23
Is anyone saying the platform should be abandoned? No-one that I have seen. And no, that stock would not have been hanging around in a warehouse for years, you have no idea of supply chain logistics.

Yeah, it's all over the internet - not just this microcosm. Forums of people planning which ship they are jumping to next just because DJI isn't making/selling them any more. It's kind of like the cell phone supply chain where you can get an iPhone 8 for free now. How long have those been sitting on shelves? As for supply chain logistics it's not rocket science. Supplier, manufacturer, warehouse and the purchaser. Thanks for trying though.
2019-2-26
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-26 19:28
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the P4P's flying today came from boxes sitting in some warehouse for several years
The majority ??  Several years in some warehouse??
If that was the case, DJI wouldn't have had to make any P4 pros for the last two years.

Yeah, that was my bad. I meant to say several months. So suppossedly they haven't made them for 4 months so it makes sense huh? I agree with you guys, I just think it's funny to watch the frenzy and how important it seems.
2019-2-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are a few retailers that are saying that its discontinued, whether they just assumed that because its been out of stock so long or because they mis read the  post that went up saying that the P4P was discontinued but not realising that there was NO mention of the P4P v2 in that posting so again, another assumption.

In my view the Phantom is a very strong model, im not sure  how it now stacks up against the MP2, ie stability in stronger winds, image and video etc but i was superior to the MP1 in most respects, i do hope the MP2 is not the replacement, i think unlikely to be honest but i have been known to be wrong on the odd occasion.
2019-2-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I wonder why they're  still listing any of the P series at all on the consumer page.   "Out of stock" for four months is getting a little old.
2019-2-27
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this awesome idea. I was gonna buy a P4P+ V2, then sell my Obsidian... "Out of stock" message told me, no, you're not.

Jeff
2019-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The complete lack of comment from the moderators is telling. Actually, standard DJI practice, don't tell your customers anything.
2019-2-27
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2-27 16:41
The complete lack of comment from the moderators is telling. Actually, standard DJI practice, don't tell your customers anything.

Here's a thought, how do we know the Mods actually work for DJI and not outsourced, the admin yeah, i can see those perhaps on the pay roll but many companies outsource to the Philippines etc nowadays. Thats just my theory and its it just that, a theory
2019-2-27
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
Philippines

My guess:  Now that the Phantom 4 version 2 is out... why bother?
2019-2-28
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
Philippines

2019-2-28
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2-28 23:33

Aloha Kuya,

Mostly because you cannot buy a P4 Pro V2 because - you guessed it - it is "Out of Stock".  Apparently they are not discussing it with the press either.  Only that one article about the supply chain value irregularities and no more.  Hard to remember, but I think four people were arrested (months ago) and hundreds being investigated (if anyone says I am wrong, I am wrong).

I sure am looking forward to DJI getting this issue resolved.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-28
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2-28 23:47
Aloha Kuya,

Mostly because you cannot buy a P4 Pro V2 because - you guessed it - it is "Out of Stock".  Apparently they are not discussing it with the press either.  Only that one article about the supply chain value irregularities and no more.  Hard to remember, but I think four people were arrested (months ago) and hundreds being investigated (if anyone says I am wrong, I am wrong).

It's a case of "inscrutable silence" as with a few instances where a little input from DJI would be helpful & constructive.
2019-3-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 3-1 00:30
It's a case of "inscrutable silence" as with a few instances where a little input from DJI would be helpful & constructive.

Aloha Manx,

We can hope!  I got all these points piled up and nothing to spend it on!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2-28 23:33

To fill in a few blanks for you, the P4 pro was released in November 2016.
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 came out in May 2018.
At the end of August 2018, DJI announced the end of the original P4 pro.
Two months later at the end of October 2018, P4 pro V2.0 production ceased and DJI has been out of stock ever since.

Now what was it you were saying?
2019-3-1
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I was waiting for the comment like Cetacean said about the big shake-up within DJI. According to the media and DJI it was a BIG deal. Could it be they have done some major house-cleaning within DJI, and
it has just really caused some internal problems. As we all know, DJI has the tightest lips when it comes to information. Maybe they are undergoing some major restructuring within the company. Just a guess.
I can't see why they would give up the P-series since it was their master flagship. I don't disagree that the Mavic series is a great drone, and has had great sales. With that being said, I can't imagine there is no market for another Phantom. Maybe I am being just optimistic. I do think that having no product for the last 4-months on the P-4, and no explanation why or when it will be available, does not help DJI in retaining its loyal supporters. It is hard to understand for sure. They might think they have the market by the balls, but in order to stay at the top you have to be innovative, and continue to bring new products to the market, and communicate to your customers.
In the past they have captured that, this seems to be a major bump in the road. The communications have always needed inprovemnts in my opinion, especially on their own forum.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
2019-3-1
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Bashy Posted at 2-27 19:49
Here's a thought, how do we know the Mods actually work for DJI and not outsourced, the admin yeah, i can see those perhaps on the pay roll but many companies outsource to the Philippines etc nowadays. Thats just my theory and its it just that, a theory

Bashy, that is probably more truth than fiction. Would not surprise me.
I am thinking that they are clearing the pipelines for a new product launch.  
2019-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I noticed that too - only the Advanced plus model is available on the DJI online store in the UK and most resellers have stopped selling the Phantom's here. Either they are making a new batch, are bringing the 4 series to EOL for the 5 series or the Phantom line as a whole is in the process of being discontinued. I guess DJI will announce what exactly is happening soon enough.
2019-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Anokadrone Posted at 3-1 06:00
Bashy, that is probably more truth than fiction. Would not surprise me.
I am thinking that they are clearing the pipelines for a new product launch.

.... so they have no Phantoms available for four months, to get ready to launch a new model?
Go back to business school.
2019-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 3-1 06:31
I noticed that too - only the Advanced plus model is available on the DJI online store in the UK and most resellers have stopped selling the Phantom's here. Either they are making a new batch, are bringing the 4 series to EOL for the 5 series or the Phantom line as a whole is in the process of being discontinued. I guess DJI will announce what exactly is happening soon enough.

I guess DJI will announce what exactly is happening soon enough.
Soon enough was a few months ago.
2019-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-1 11:11
I guess DJI will announce what exactly is happening soon enough.
Soon enough was a few months ago.

Dragging feet indeed. It would be a real shame to end the line so let's hope it's a P5.
2019-3-1
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules