Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4K (5Min) 4Gb Split - Loses Audio at the Split
123Next >
11210 81 2019-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I recently discovered that my Osmo Pocket was splitting recordings at 4Gb.  I thought it may have been a formatting issue, so reformatted with exFAT (which it was anyway as it is a SanDisk Ultra 64GB card).  The problem isn't that it splits, as I can join them - but the issue with audio at the split.

So, this is hard - as I love the Osmo Pocket - had it for 2 months, and was happily using it and recording at 4K30 - little snippets here and there.  It was BRILLIANT.  However, all those videos were less the 5 mins - and that's the issue.

Last week, I recorded my first video that was longer than 5 mins - my son's piano performance - which was 6 mins.  Was surprised that it was split into 2 videos, but thought that it wasn't a problem, and just need to join them.  When I did, I found that it did not join properly - there is a short sub second break in audio.  The video is seamless, but the audio just stops for a short bit.

Using Premiere Pro, you can see the loss of audio (attached screenshot) - as said, the video is seamless, but the audio drops where you see there is no audio in the track.

With a piano recording (or frankly anything I suppose) - it just is not acceptable.  A long sustained piano note just "clicks" where the audio is missing and then carries on - very jarring.  This happens on any type of recording - tried a dialogue/speech style recording, and it is less noticeable, but if you happen to be speaking at the break, then it's obvious again.

Whilst I love the Osmo Pocket, if I cannot film longer than 5.5 mins @4K30, it is worthless.  £300+ to record <5mins.  Have contacted DJI (on twitter) and hoping they will resolve it in firmware, but hopefully this forum is another way to get to their support.

Obvioulsy the problem is worse at 4K60 (<3mins) and at HD, it's 10mins, but that's still not good enough.

Lost audio at the split

Lost audio at the split
2019-2-24
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

That is... Something I was worried a lot when I looked up on osmo forum and found such issues... But since I don't use sophisticated video rendering tools, I am not able to locate such problem..

It is really a bummer though, since I bought osmo pocket for the reason of recording long videos...
2019-2-24
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

StardustGeass Posted at 2-24 06:11
That is... Something I was worried a lot when I looked up on osmo forum and found such issues... But since I don't use sophisticated video rendering tools, I am not able to locate such problem..

It is really a bummer though, since I bought osmo pocket for the reason of recording long videos...

Yes, I see it exactly like that
2019-2-24
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

What I am surprised is that not a single YouTube reviewer has mentioned this. I have watched pretty much every one from the unboxings, the 2 week or later follow up reviews, the ones that say pro and cons etc.

Not a single one mentions what I would consider a fatal flaw.

All the perfect stabilisation in the world does not counter against the fact I can't record more than 5 minutes without audio failing.

Would have to return this if this is the case
2019-2-24
Use props
John Baxter
lvl.2

United Kingdom

That worried me so I've just tried to replicate.  I stood the OP next to my radio and recorded about 8 minutes at 4K 30fps.
I've checked the split and it looks fine to me.  Sound is fine over the split.  I wonder why yours had the problem.

2019-2-24
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

I had a few occasions having splited video but they joined fine without sound issue so far.
What type of SD card do you use?
2019-2-24
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hmm - that's interesting, and a least looks good and maybe hope here for me

I am using the SanDisk Ultra Micro SD Card 64Gb - formatted to exFAT which I assumed should be ok.  CrystalDiskMark attached (on Windows PC on a USB3 reader)

@Tide & John Baxter - what SD cards do you use, and what resolution/frame rate are you recording with?
2019-2-24
Use props
DarrenG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 2-24 11:03

I am using the SanDisk Ultra Micro SD Card 64Gb - formatted to exFAT which I assumed should be ok.  CrystalDiskMark attached (on Windows PC on a USB3 reader)[view_image]

Have you tried formatting in the Osmo and seeing if the issue persists?
2019-2-24
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DarrenG Posted at 2-24 11:48
Have you tried formatting in the Osmo and seeing if the issue persists?

Hi yes, both in the Osmo and also in Windows. Problem persists with both methods of formatting and is repeatable.

I am going to assume that it is the SD card (since there isn't much else it can be - latest firmware and standard non-Pro settings etc.) and maybe the 15MB/s is just borderline and ok for all "normal" use but maybe failing on the splitting.

Have order a U3 one and it should be with me tomorrow and hopefully that is going to be fine. Will report back
2019-2-24
Use props
John Baxter
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 2-24 11:03

I am using the SanDisk Ultra Micro SD Card 64Gb - formatted to exFAT which I assumed should be ok.  CrystalDiskMark attached (on Windows PC on a USB3 reader)[view_image]

I was using a Sandisk Extreme  32Gb V30 when I did the test.

Hope this helps.

John
2019-2-24
Use props
Tossy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1525712 ft
India

My OSMO Pocket has same problem.
There are no sounds in the last few frames.
This problem often happens even for files smaller than 4 GB. (No sprit files)
That is, it even happens if you stop recording manually.

The problem occurs at any resolution and any frame rate from 1080p / 24fps to 4K / 60fps.
I am using a Samsung EVO plus SD card and Sandisk Extream PRO SD card.

Thanks.
2019-2-24
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I do a lot of long period video recording,
tennis game 1~2 hours, HD/60 or 4K/60
hiking 3~4 hours, HD/30 or HD/60
non of those split files hv this problem.
I use Samsung EVO+ 128G card, formatted in camera, .MOV
2019-2-24
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

edwardyyy Posted at 2-24 22:05
I do a lot of long period video recording,
tennis game 1~2 hours, HD/60 or 4K/60
hiking 3~4 hours, HD/30 or HD/60

Sound skipping for longer shots only 1 or 2 frames.

I'm filming in 4k and 30p. I have now checked the shots of our longer trip. Recordings longer than about 5 minutes (about 4 GB) are split. At the end of the first clip the sound is missing only 1 or 2 frames. So it's not 1 second, as it's partly written here.

So that should not be a problem.

2019-2-25
Use props
Tide
Second Officer

I am using Samsung EVO Plus 256G. (New card just got it for OP)
Previous shots are shoot at 4K 60P.

I retested it just now with 4K 24P.
4K 24P.JPG
No issue as well.

2019-2-25
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 2-25 04:05
Sound skipping for longer shots only 1 or 2 frames.

I'm filming in 4k and 30p. I have now checked the shots of our longer trip. Recordings longer than about 5 minutes (about 4 GB) are split. At the end of the first clip the sound is missing only 1 or 2 frames. So it's not 1 second, as it's partly written here.

Ah - but that 100% is a problem.  That 1-2 frames is caused noticeable "clicks" in audio clicks/dips in audio - especially when recording pianos/music etc.  Where there may be generic noise, then it may not be noticed though.

It's not 1 second - it is milliseconds - but dropping 1-2 frames in a 24/30fps is significant and noticeable depending on the audio recording.  Can I ask what SC card you are using?  I am waiting on my new card to come which hopefully will solve the problem.
2019-2-25
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

John Baxter Posted at 2-24 16:30
I was using a Sandisk Extreme  32Gb V30 when I did the test.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!  That's a U3 card with min 30Mb/s write - so definitely faster than I am using now.  My new card will be a U3 card, so hopefully that will solve it.
2019-2-25
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 2-25 04:30
I am using Samsung EVO Plus 256G. (New card just got it for OP)
Previous shots are shoot at 4K 60P.

Another U3 card - fingers crossed this will be the solution!  Card coming tomorrow and I will be able to confirm!
2019-2-25
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Samsung EVQ Plus SDXC 128 GB 100MB/s Class 10 U3
Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 128GB... https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XFHQGB9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
2019-2-25
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Samsung EVQ Plus SDXC 128 GB 100MB/s Class 10 U3
Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 128GB... https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XFHQGB9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
2019-2-25
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tossy Posted at 2-24 19:16
My OSMO Pocket has same problem.
There are no sounds in the last few frames.
This problem often happens even for files smaller than 4 GB. (No sprit files)

That's concerning - and it may be happening with my <4Gb videos as well.  I don't check those, as I record slightly longer and then trim back.  Have checked some of them, and you are right - it's not all of them, bu there are some that have the end audio loss.

As it is a single video, it's not noticeable when viewed by itself (it is milliseconds) - but clearly this problem exists whether it is due to a split or stopped by the user

Again, I am hoping that this is fixed by a U3 video card, but since you have a U3 card and it is not working, it may be something else.

If I can't trust the Osmo Pocket to record >5Min videos properly - that's a big problem
2019-2-25
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Update - received a brand new Integral U3 256Gb card - popped it in, and formatted - set a recording going.  About 10s in, it stops with an error message "Slow Write SD Card" (or similar).  Testing the card shows it can operate at 80+ Mb/s - so shocked.  Not sure if this the Osmo, or the card - luckily, this was purchased from Amazon, so it can be returned as not working correctly.

Buying another one now - Sandisk Extreme Pro 256Gb.  Will see is this one will work!
2019-2-26
Use props
Pete84
lvl.2
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-175105-1-1.html

I brought this up a while ago.  This only happens when recording in 60fps.  Admins said they were looking into it... but it's been awhile.  I just stop recording over 4minutes on 4k60fps because that seems to be when a new file is created.
Still love the camera...My suggestion is if you're recording something longer than 4mins, use 30fps.
2019-2-26
Use props
Pete84
lvl.2
United States

John Baxter Posted at 2-24 09:52
That worried me so I've just tried to replicate.  I stood the OP next to my radio and recorded about 8 minutes at 4K 30fps.
I've checked the split and it looks fine to me.  Sound is fine over the split.  I wonder why yours had the problem.

Only happens at 60fps
2019-2-26
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Pete84 Posted at 2-26 13:36
Only happens at 60fps

It is happening to me at 4K30 and 4k25
2019-2-26
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 2-26 14:10
It is happening to me at 4K30 and 4k25

Also - just to confirm, I remembered that I have a Samsung EVO Plus U3 card - which is plenty fast enough.  Tried recording with this - over 4Gb files.  Recreated the problem with 4K30, and 4K25 (thinking it may be frame rate issue) - still had the audio gap in the end of the first file.

Interesting that the second short file does not seem to have the missing audio at the end of the video.

Have the Sandisk Extreme arriving tomorrow - but it does not look promising at all.  

Will test the theory on the audio sync/delay (Thanks @Peter84) - and will stop recording at 5.20 - just short of the splitting and see if the problem still exists.
2019-2-26
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 2-26 14:20
Also - just to confirm, I remembered that I have a Samsung EVO Plus U3 card - which is plenty fast enough.  Tried recording with this - over 4Gb files.  Recreated the problem with 4K30, and 4K25 (thinking it may be frame rate issue) - still had the audio gap in the end of the first file.

Interesting that the second short file does not seem to have the missing audio at the end of the video.

Ok - Sandisk Extreme Pro has arrived and the problem is still there - so the cards are not the issue.

Had a little brainwave - and decided to join the files outside of Premiere Pro (using MKVMerge) and the audio was fine!  No gap in the 5.26 mark.  Loaded the externally joined file, and sure enough, there is no split.

I then loaded the two original split files into Premiere Pro as separate video/audio track and you can see the split again.  However, what is interesting is that the "gap" in the audio is not actually missing.  If you check the picture, you can see the "missing" audio in the first video is actually in the beginning of the second video, and the audio is just then offset!

Luckily, MKVMerge was "blindly" mergeing the video tracks together and then the audio tracks together ignoring the timestamps. It joined the audio together - giving a seamless join in the output joined file.

Well - the next natural question was - why the gap, and what about the "spare" video?  If you check below for the end of the joined file - the video "isn't there".  If you look at the video preview - it is RED - showing that there is "nothing there" where the joined audio has finished.  That is the "joined" file has a video timestamp longer than the audio, but if you move the timeline to the end of the audio, there is the actual video which stops when the audio stops - and is aligned.

So it seems that the (my?) Osmo Pocket is not saving the audio correctly and whilst is appears that no audio is actually lost, a bit of the end of the 1st video audio is being saved to the beginning of the second file.  Note - if you check, you can see that the audio at the end of the 2nd split file actually has been "cut" due to the video metadata (video length), but is obviously still recoverable by MKVMerge merging the file.

This appears to be a problem with my Osmo Pocket  - which I don't believe is anything to do with the SD card.

I will now investigate if this actually presents a audio sync problem - my video was just against a wall recording Bohemian Rhapsody.  May need to record against a metronome or a YouTube video of something I can check video/audio sync
2019-2-27
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
Belarus

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 2-27 14:00
Ok - Sandisk Extreme Pro has arrived and the problem is still there - so the cards are not the issue.

Had a little brainwave - and decided to join the files outside of Premiere Pro (using MKVMerge) and the audio was fine!  No gap in the 5.26 mark.  Loaded the externally joined file, and sure enough, there is no split.

Great findings!
2019-2-28
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

More updates - I have made more recordings (again piano) that spanned the 4Gb split, and again it had the problem in the "missing" audio at the end of the first video.  However, as before, I was able to successfully join the file outside of Premiere Pro using MKVMerge, so to create a whole file.

I am seeing if I can actually do this "off-set" video/audio join in Premiere, but I can't seem to do that.  Even by separating the audio and video tracks doesn't allow me to join the audio properly, as oddly the audio is not cut on a frame, but mid frame - and also, there is the "missing" audio that is not available as it is past the end of the second file.

Anyway - for the time being, there appears to be the workaround, but clearly this is still not acceptable.  DJI Support has suggested that it is being worked on, but not sure what that means as yet.
2019-3-4
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 3-4 04:49
More updates - I have made more recordings (again piano) that spanned the 4Gb split, and again it had the problem in the "missing" audio at the end of the first video.  However, as before, I was able to successfully join the file outside of Premiere Pro using MKVMerge, so to create a whole file.

I am seeing if I can actually do this "off-set" video/audio join in Premiere, but I can't seem to do that.  Even by separating the audio and video tracks doesn't allow me to join the audio properly, as oddly the audio is not cut on a frame, but mid frame - and also, there is the "missing" audio that is not available as it is past the end of the second file.

Dji moderators should report this issue.
2019-3-4
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Tide Posted at 3-4 07:15
Dji moderators should report this issue.

I have now controlled the Clips of my Panasonic FZ1000.
Also with this camera, the clips are split at 4 GB and again the sound is missing for 2 frames at the end.

So that's quite normal and happens with other and more expensive cameras.

I see this as the smallest problem with the Pocket. There are certainly other functions that are more important to improve, e.g. focusing, or shorter intervals for time lapse, etc.
2019-3-5
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Udo13 Posted at 3-5 04:28
I have now controlled the Clips of my Panasonic FZ1000.
Also with this camera, the clips are split at 4 GB and again the sound is missing for 2 frames at the end.

The review of the Sony AX33 showed no sound dropouts.
I have not noticed that yet.

So there are also video cameras without sound dropouts.
2019-3-5
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Udo13 Posted at 3-5 04:45
The review of the Sony AX33 showed no sound dropouts.
I have not noticed that yet.

Or maybe there are differences in different camera classes.
FZ1000 belongs to the cameras and the Sony AX33 is a classic video camera.

I will possibly check the recordings of my action cam YI4k Plus.
2019-3-5
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Udo13 Posted at 3-5 04:51
Or maybe there are differences in different camera classes.
FZ1000 belongs to the cameras and the Sony AX33 is a classic video camera.

Yes, I think it's because of the different camera classes.

When recording my Actioncam this error also occurs.
Here are the sound Dropouts usually even 2-3 frames.

2019-3-5
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Udo13

I have a Video Camera Panasonic HDC-TM700 and it does not have this problem.   That is very interesting that other cameras also may have this problem.  However, just because another camera has this problem does not make it "normal" - it just means that the two cameras have a problem.

I don't think it is a small problem - it means that I cannot use the Osmo Pocket for longer than 5m26s without losing audio.  That is definitely a problem as it is not advertised that you can only record 5 minute video without loss of audio.  Fortunately it appears there is a workaround - but not everyone will know about it - and I do not know if it will always work.
2019-3-5
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 3-5 15:24
Hi Udo13

I have a Video Camera Panasonic HDC-TM700 and it does not have this problem.   That is very interesting that other cameras also may have this problem.  However, just because another camera has this problem does not make it "normal" - it just means that the two cameras have a problem.

Hi Chi-Ho Lam,

that is correct.
In my longer shots with my different cameras, I have not noticed these sound losses in the finished Video.
2019-3-6
Use props
I.Yeung
lvl.2
Flight distance : 211010 ft
Hong Kong

I posted the same issue to this forum 2 day earlier then your post but got not much response. Seems DJI admin trend to ignore this issue.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
2019-3-22
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

I personally use my DJI OP for recording long videos, and I don't have the audio "missing" issue.

In that case, I think this might be caused by several things:
1. The hardware, factory problem that targets only specific devices.
2. MicroSD card problem (quite doubt it though).
3. Only applies to several settings (software problems)
2019-3-22
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I.Yeung Posted at 3-22 07:34
I posted the same issue to this forum 2 day earlier then your post but got not much response. Seems DJI admin trend to ignore this issue.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181810&extra=page%3D5%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D549%26typeid%3D549

Ah!  I had searched before posting, and did not see your post for some reason.

It is still having a problem with mine, but as I had posted earlier in my thread, if i join the video outside of Premiere using MKVMerge (using the Append method) - it does actually create a correctly joined up file.  I found that the "missing" audio at the end of the first file is not lost, but is saved at the beginning of the second file.

Joining inside Adobe Premiere does not work and creates the gap (like in your screenshots).

I think MKVMerge is treating the audio tracks separate from the video tracks and is just joining them together before creating a new merge file.

I am using a PC, and not sure if there is something similar to MKVMerge for a Mac though
2019-3-23
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

StardustGeass Posted at 3-22 09:06
I personally use my DJI OP for recording long videos, and I don't have the audio "missing" issue.

In that case, I think this might be caused by several things:

1 - I can believe that it may be specific DJI Osmo Pocket units - as not everyone is reporting the problem.  My ones does have the problem though.
2 - It certainly is not related to specific MicroSD cards (in my experience) - I have tried many, and the problem exists on all of them (different brands, speeds)
3 - Possibly on specific settings, but I am using the "standard" 4K30 and it definitely is a problem with that.  Not willing to lower my resolution.

2019-3-23
Use props
SantiM
New
Spain

Same problem,  4K (5Min) 4Gb Split - Loses Audio at the Split. This is a big issue to me because I bought the Osmo Pocket mostly to record concerts. I check a lot of reviews, forums etc. Nobody mentioned this problem. Now I found this forum and it seems its a common problem. Any solution? Any external app for Mac that can merge the video files without loosing any audio?
Thanks
2019-4-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules