Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4K (5Min) 4Gb Split - Loses Audio at the Split
123Next >
11211 81 2019-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

In theory, it is do-able in firmware, most dash cams start a new recording segment one second before the previous one ends.  Wish DJI can fix it.
2019-4-13
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 4-13 06:31
In theory, it is do-able in firmware, most dash cams start a new recording segment one second before the previous one ends.  Wish DJI can fix it.

It should be do-able in firmware - but not sure that will solve it.  I have confirmed that the audio isn't actually "lost", but the last tiny bit of audio on the first video, is save on the beginning of the next video - and so on.

I have not had any update on my service ticket - but I had "got round it" now by simply either not recording over 5m26s, or if I know that I am doing that, I actually have a H1N audio recorder.  It's clearly not acceptable, but for the longer videos as I am usually recording a performance, I want "decent" audio anyway, I will have that portable audio recorder.

Of course - as per my previous message - I can "fix" it by joining the videos using MKVmerge (from the MKVToolNix) using the "Append" method.  That's still a fudge though
2019-5-3
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

SantiM Posted at 4-13 05:52
Same problem,  4K (5Min) 4Gb Split - Loses Audio at the Split. This is a big issue to me because I bought the Osmo Pocket mostly to record concerts. I check a lot of reviews, forums etc. Nobody mentioned this problem. Now I found this forum and it seems its a common problem. Any solution? Any external app for Mac that can merge the video files without loosing any audio?
Thanks

Did you see my solution using MKVMerge and the "Append" method?  It does look like there is a Mac version - hopefully that works
2019-5-3
Use props
Emmy808
lvl.1

Japan

Has this problem ever been addressed by DJI? I just noticed that all my clips experience the same problem: 1-3 frames (or fraction thereof) of dropped audio at the end of the clips, whether the clip was manually stopped or automatically split by the 4GB limit. I shoot in 4K50 with external mic and new SanDisk Extreme 128GB U3 A2 V30 microSDXC . If some people are not experiencing this problem, is my OP defective?
2019-6-21
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's a fault with all of them I suspect - maybe not everyone has noticed, or maybe there is a combination of video settings which doesn't exhibit the problem.  MKVmerge makes no difference here - no different from simply putting the clips on the editor timeline.
2019-6-21
Use props
rkean
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue, i recorded a secondary audio track on my H1N, i loaded all the clips, and i synced the audio using plural eyes. there is a 5ms gap
2019-6-23
Use props
rkean
lvl.1

United States

Top track is clip 1 and clip 2 merged before import
Middle track is audio from H1N
Bottom track is clip 1 and clip 2 imported directly into the program.

I will have to join the clips before import to get no gaps in audio and video.
2019-6-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

In terms of bugs, I'd say this is the worst one now affecting the Pocket, the one most needing to be fixed.  Any plans, DJI??
2019-6-24
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-21 03:03
It's a fault with all of them I suspect - maybe not everyone has noticed, or maybe there is a combination of video settings which doesn't exhibit the problem.  MKVmerge makes no difference here - no different from simply putting the clips on the editor timeline.

What setting are you doing when you join the clips?  It is "Append to an existing source file" - if you do it this way, it will work.  You need to put one file in, then drag the second file into MKVMerge, which is where you get the option to select how it is merged.  You will see the second file as a "sub-file" of the first one.  It is tabbed in under the first file.

If you select "Add as new source file" then yes, it does not work, and is simply like putting clips together in an editor as you say.
2019-7-4
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rkean Posted at 6-24 03:42
[view_image]
Top track is clip 1 and clip 2 merged before import
Middle track is audio from H1N

Yep - that's it (or more or less it for me).  That's the problem and the  workaround too.  I also use a H1N as well and pretty much this is what I do as well.  

However, since I prefer the audio on the H1N anyway, I usually don't bother merging the files now, and so far, it is the audio that is missed on the individual files.  I've not yet had missing video (yet), but will do the pre-merge before processing as well if needed
2019-7-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 7-4 07:06
What setting are you doing when you join the clips?  It is "Append to an existing source file" - if you do it this way, it will work.  You need to put one file in, then drag the second file into MKVMerge, which is where you get the option to select how it is merged.  You will see the second file as a "sub-file" of the first one.  It is tabbed in under the first file.

If you select "Add as new source file" then yes, it does not work, and is simply like putting clips together in an editor as you say.

I can't remember what I did!  I'll look at it again some time.
2019-7-5
Use props
rkean
lvl.1

United States

What suspect is happening is a 5ms frame is being written as a buffer or some other thing to either the end or beginning of one file, when it needs to be written to the other. The data is there somewhere it's just not where its expected to be when using a normal video editor.
2019-7-7
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rkean Posted at 7-7 17:02
What suspect is happening is a 5ms frame is being written as a buffer or some other thing to either the end or beginning of one file, when it needs to be written to the other. The data is there somewhere it's just not where its expected to be when using a normal video editor.

Yep - it is there, and can be recovered by using some video software.  I was able to get it back by joining using MKVMerge.  However, Adobe has just removed support for MKV files which means that it is now of no use to me.  Short of converting MKV to MP4 for Premiere Pro - which would lose quality, I need to find another way of doing it now.
2019-7-24
Use props
DaleM
lvl.2
United States

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 7-24 02:18
Yep - it is there, and can be recovered by using some video software.  I was able to get it back by joining using MKVMerge.  However, Adobe has just removed support for MKV files which means that it is now of no use to me.  Short of converting MKV to MP4 for Premiere Pro - which would lose quality, I need to find another way of doing it now.

I found this easy workaround for Premiere Pro no  longer supporting mkv in an Adobe forum.  Check the post by basil1891 dated June 2, 2019 9:21am (the post time may be based on time zone.  I am in EST in the U.S.)
https://forums.adobe.com/message/11103451#11103451
2019-7-24
Use props
Yiliayoung
lvl.3

United States

A video audio cutter is handy for us to cut or split videos and audios at fast speed.
Usually, we can split in the way we like, frame by frame or trim chosen sections as we like.
More than that, an option can be offered to allow us to adjust codec, sample rate, bit rate, resolution and more.
2019-8-21
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 2-24 12:00
Hi yes, both in the Osmo and also in Windows. Problem persists with both methods of formatting and is repeatable.

I am going to assume that it is the SD card (since there isn't much else it can be - latest firmware and standard non-Pro settings etc.) and maybe the 15MB/s is just borderline and ok for all "normal" use but maybe failing on the splitting.

This is presumably the issue. I have a grade 3 SD and haven't had an audio issue in the splits.
2019-8-21
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

SantiM Posted at 4-13 05:52
Same problem,  4K (5Min) 4Gb Split - Loses Audio at the Split. This is a big issue to me because I bought the Osmo Pocket mostly to record concerts. I check a lot of reviews, forums etc. Nobody mentioned this problem. Now I found this forum and it seems its a common problem. Any solution? Any external app for Mac that can merge the video files without loosing any audio?
Thanks

Make sure the SD card is at least a grade 3. That seems to be where the issue stems from. The card will have a little U with a number inside printed on it, look for that. It its not grade 3, I suggest getting a grade 3 card.
"UHS Speed Class[edit]
UHS-I and UHS-II cards can use UHS Speed Class rating with two possible grades: class 1 for minimum read/write performance of at least 10 MB/s ('U1' symbol featuring number 1 inside 'U') and class 3 for minimum write performance of 30 MB/s ('U3' symbol featuring 3 inside 'U'), targeted at recording 4K video.[84] Before November 2013, the rating was branded UHS Speed Grade and contained grades 0 (no symbol) and 1 ('U1' symbol). Manufacturers can also display standard speed class symbols (C2, C4, C6, and C10) alongside, or in place of UHS speed class.
UHS memory cards work best with UHS host devices. The combination lets the user record HD resolution videos with tapeless camcorders while performing other functions. It is also suitable for real-time broadcasts and capturing large HD videos."

2019-8-21
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's not card related here - mine's a Sandisk Extreme U3 - it's usually only noticed as a problem on live musical performances.  Many users might not notice it.
2019-8-22
Use props
Pete84
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-22 16:28
It's not card related here - mine's a Sandisk Extreme U3 - it's usually only noticed as a problem on live musical performances.  Many users might not notice it.

The issue is at its worse when recording 60fps (both 4k and 1080p) and people talking.
I found the issue when the OP first came out recording my kids in the park.  Audio drifts and is unrepairable in post.

I've long since just kept 4k clips to less than 4mins and 1080p clips to less than 7mins as to not exceed the 4gb limit.  I suspect this is a cpu hardware issue and not a software issue so I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon.
2019-8-23
Use props
Emmy808
lvl.1

Japan

This is the worst bug so far, especially for those of us doing long takes. I tried the MKV option mentioned before, but that hasn't worked out. Although the audio gap appeared to disappear, the MKV video was several frames longer than the original video. Overlaying the video to find out where those extra frames came from, I found that the MKV duplicated some frames, so that video would suddenly jump back a few frames in time and continue again, making it unusable. I think the only solution right now is to use an external audio recorder.
2019-8-26
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Emmy808 Posted at 8-26 00:19
This is the worst bug so far, especially for those of us doing long takes. I tried the MKV option mentioned before, but that hasn't worked out. Although the audio gap appeared to disappear, the MKV video was several frames longer than the original video. Overlaying the video to find out where those extra frames came from, I found that the MKV duplicated some frames, so that video would suddenly jump back a few frames in time and continue again, making it unusable. I think the only solution right now is to use an external audio recorder.

Agreed = this is a shocking bug.  I use an external audio recorder (Zoom H1N) and merger them in post.  It gives better audio anyway - so for my purposes it's "ok", but is still a workaround that is not really acceptable.

For those that suggest it's card related - I use the fastest U3 as well - and the problem occurs.  It's not all the time, but it's enough of the times for it to be essentially unreliable - and I can't take the risk.  It's a pity, as the video is awesome.
2019-8-26
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-22 16:28
It's not card related here - mine's a Sandisk Extreme U3 - it's usually only noticed as a problem on live musical performances.  Many users might not notice it.

Absolutely - many people won't notice in "normal" day to day recordings.  I certainly did not when I was filling sports, kids, family stuff.  However, when recording my son's piano playing (i.e. live music as you say) - it's blatantly obvious.
2019-8-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, our engineers are aware of this issue and will optimize it in the future firmware update, please wait patiently.
2019-9-2
Use props
Simo83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72201 ft

Hi everybody!

Does anybody found a real workaround for this issue?!

DJI "will fix" this issue...they say that...

But in the meantime I have a camera which I paid 400$ and I can use it only to record videos < than 5.26"...!!!

I do not accept to record audio with an external device: I bought this thing to have a portable device...it MUST BE fully functional. Now.

If a company sells a camera it has to do one only thing: RECORD MOVIES. My OSMO does not record videos... It records FLASH CLIPS!

My backup phone does much better...it can record more than 5 minutes in 4k 30fps and I paid it 150$.

No words.
Simone
2019-9-4
Use props
Simo83
lvl.2

DJI Thor Posted at 9-2 01:09
Hi, our engineers are aware of this issue and will optimize it in the future firmware update, please wait patiently.

My dear friend: the first user posted on February: it's September.

You in DJI have been knowing about this bug for 8 months.

I think you should fix it IMMEDIATELY: I can't use this 400$ thing to do what I bought it for.

Filming.
2019-9-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>

Agreed.  This shouldn't be hard to fix surely - other devices don't have the problem - I'm starting to think that maybe DJI are simply not that expert when it comes to sound (given the problems with stereo in the mic adapter for instance).
2019-9-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

Simo83 Posted at 9-4 05:56
My dear friend: the first user posted on February: it's September.

You in DJI have been knowing about this bug for 8 months.

Have there been any firmware updates for the Pocket since the Action came out?
These are not wishlist items but basics that need fixing.
I feel but don't know, that some of the problems arise from the protectionism of the peripherals needing to communicate to the parent before working. Possibly causing delays that affect these sync issues and missing audio.
I would rather pay more and accept a slightly larger product and have basics built-in, properly working inputs than this hotchpotch of non communicating, poorly designed and implemented addons.
My rig is becoming FrankenCamera.
2019-9-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>

FrankenCamera - love it.  Mine was getting that way but for most purposes now I just use the Pocket on the official rod, and use in-ear mics with a recorder clipped to my belt.  In practice it works pretty well (depending though on exactly what the task in hand is - of course you have to use the right tool for the job).  However this can still lead to problems at the point where the independent sound system carries on and the Pocket drops frames when file splitting.
2019-9-4
Use props
Simo83
lvl.2

This is the support answer:

"I understand your point. For the issue that the first one is missing some frames which seem to be included at the beginning of the second one, it has been optimized in the latest firmware.
I know that you may not want the file to be split, yet this is the current storing logic.
Our engineer team had tried out another software for you regarding this case, hoping to help you the most as of this moment, you may want to try this software https://www.mp4joiner.org. You only need to merge the video files directly, no need to demux the audio."

I HAVE NO WORDS.
2019-9-5
Use props
fansf6099e31
lvl.1

DJI Thor Posted at 9-2 01:09

The problem still exists as of the latest firmware as of today. May I confirm whether DJI knows the exact problem of missing audio at the very end of the split clip? And Does DJI knows the cause and is working out the solution? If both are yes, may we know when will that be available and what is the best workaround as interim?
2019-10-11
Use props
djiuser_iQCPZ4MmXS28
lvl.2
Germany

I'm using the Pocket 2. It's still the same kind of issue. Using a card that I bought directly from DJI - U3 speed. I have no issue with the files being split by the camera as long as the audio can clean once I put it in the editing software, but sadly, it doesn't work that way and I'd need to repair the audio somehow.
2021-3-7
Use props
fans4b6fb6ea
New

United States

DJI!!! This is absurd and completely unacceptable!! I have the Pocket 2 and this is happening to me as well. When are you going to fix this? Why do the files split at 4.09 GB in the 1st place? Why does the audio drop by 1 frame at the end of each clip?? It even states in the manual that the footage is separates at 4 GB. Why would anyone want this to happen!?? What if you are filming for over an hour at a time? Then you have to paste all of the clips together and try to hide the audio drops, instead of it just being 1 clip as it should be? Fix this now!!!!
2021-4-6
Use props
Chi-Ho Lam
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wow - is the exact problem still in Pocket 2?  It's purely the audio right? Just a single frame's worth of audio?  I was thinking of getting the new Pocket 2, but not going to now.

I know it's a crappy solution, but one option would be to give the option to store the audio as a separate file - that way, at least the audio file is unlikely to hit the dropped frame as you would have to go some way to hit a 4Gb audio file.

Splitting the file itself isn't a problem (it's a PITA though).  Go Pros do it, but don't have the dropped audio. My smartphone does it, but no dropped audio frame.  It's just the Osmo Pocket.
2021-4-6
Use props
misosoup
New
Australia

Chi-Ho Lam Posted at 4-6 08:46
Wow - is the exact problem still in Pocket 2?  It's purely the audio right? Just a single frame's worth of audio?  I was thinking of getting the new Pocket 2, but not going to now.

I know it's a crappy solution, but one option would be to give the option to store the audio as a separate file - that way, at least the audio file is unlikely to hit the dropped frame as you would have to go some way to hit a 4Gb audio file.

I can confirm that this is still happening with the Pocket 2. I regularly record long videos beyond the split.

@DJI Thor, based on your last post earlier in the thread it looks like the engineers have known about it for more than 2 years now and has jumped between products, are there any chances for a fix?
2021-4-25
Use props
Baha9
New

Canada

Splitting problem with osmo action, I returned the camera
2021-7-11
Use props
DarkPoet
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2019-9-2 01:09

ok, it's now 5/12-2012!!! this is STILL an issue, something people that have bought it within the last year SHOULD have been made aware of on YOUR SITE BEFORE people bought this!
2021-12-5
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Haven't had the audio problem myself, nor have I recorded longer videos with continuous audio, so I can't comment directly on this one.

What I can comment however is that I had a similar problem with video: when I merged the multiple clips using a basic video editor (it was OpenShot if I remember right) and looked at the end result, the frame clearly froze and skipped some frames at the merge point, causing a clearly noticeable seam. When I contacted DJI, they recommended me to join the clips using the MP4Joiner tool in the MP4Tools package. After installing it and changing a couple of settings, I managed to merge the clips and got rid of the frame freezing/skipping.

Not sure if that would help with the audio issues though.
2021-12-5
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

HGDC84 Posted at 12-5 10:33
Haven't had the audio problem myself, nor have I recorded longer videos with continuous audio, so I can't comment directly on this one.

What I can comment however is that I had a similar problem with video: when I merged the multiple clips using a basic video editor (it was OpenShot if I remember right) and looked at the ned result, the frame clearly froze and skipped some frames at the merge point, causing a clearly noticeable seam. When I contacted DJI, they recommended me to join the clips using the MP4Joiner tool in the MP4Tools package. After installing it and changing a couple of settings, I managed to merge the clips and got rid of the frame freezing/skipping.

Beginning to sound like an editing thing, not a device thing ...
2021-12-5
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Curt1591 Posted at 12-5 18:02
Beginning to sound like an editing thing, not a device thing ...

Hard to say in this case, but possibly... might also vary depending on the scenario.
2021-12-6
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

HGDC84 Posted at 12-6 04:42
Hard to say in this case, but possibly... might also vary depending on the scenario.

Between the "concept", if any,, filming and editing, there are many variables. Professional productions typically have different different individuals handling the different tasks.

Most vloggers, and casual videogaphers, handle all the tasks, from conception, to shooting to editing (if any). There are plenty of opportunities for error.
2021-12-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules