Here’s an idea to increase visibility
1625 8 2019-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAPilot
lvl.4
United States

Let’s face, when it comes to seeing our drones beyond a few hundred feet, in the daylight hours, anything that helps is a good thing.

I have the white Mavic Air, with the black props, black propguards, and black landing skid extensions.  
My first attempt was to spray paint the propguards a neon red fluorescent.  Great color, but the paint didn’t stick very well, despite the label saying it would work on plastic.

Another step was to add strobes, attach a 4 LED white Firehouse on top and red one on the bottom. These definitely help, but when you get further out (like 1000 ft.), they don’t stand out so much.

Since the paint idea didn’t pan out, I decided to try vinyl wrap. I bought a roll of red chrome from Amazon, and applied it to the extensions.

Also, I wanted color props, so I ordered a red set, which are more visible than black. Yes, they’re not official DJI, but they work just fine - I inspect before every flight and have had no surprises. They are not as stiff as the DJI, but that suggests that they would be less likely to chip or crack
8B415AC3-6569-4B7D-B98F-A9024563CC64.jpeg

Another idea was to use finger protectors, and the bracket they attach with to hold the strobes on the underside. If you want less weight, you can remove the grates, but leave the bracket.

Mavic Air finger protector

Mavic Air finger protector

Mavic Air w-red props

Mavic Air w-red props
2019-2-24
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4
United States

Sorry about the duplicate pic at the end . It didn’t appear in the preview.  Also, I couldn’t delete the “P”.
2019-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is covering your antennas a good idea, like the strobe but have tried and yes you can see at distance .
2019-2-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Leading to, Why doesn't DJI build real LED strobes into drones?
Isn't DJI trying to make drone flying safer?
Seems like Mavic 2 would have been perfect drone to introduced builtin LED strobes.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day MAPilot. Thank you for sharing this information. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-2-24
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-24 09:53
Is covering your antennas a good idea, like the strobe but have tried and yes you can see at distance .

If you’re referring to  the antennas in the front landing skid being covered by the extensions with a metallic coating, I considered that. There may be some trivial amount of metallic powder in the vinyl film, but I’ve found no apparent difference in link performance I’ve never flown beyond about 1500 ft, and the link is still fine at that distance.
2019-2-24
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-24 09:53

If you’re referring to  the antennas in the front landing skid being covered by the extensions with a metallic coating, I considered that. There may be some trivial amount of metallic powder in the vinyl film, but I’ve found no apparent difference in link performance I’ve never flown beyond about 1500 ft, and the link is still fine at that distance.
2019-2-24
Use props
MAPilot
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-24 09:59
Leading to, Why doesn't DJI build real LED strobes into drones?
Isn't DJI trying to make drone flying safer?
Seems like Mavic 2 would have been perfect drone to introduced builtin LED strobes.

Totally agree...eventually they will.
2019-2-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Thanks for sharing
2019-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules