Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How Low to take Mavic 2 battery (for battery health)
4937 17 2019-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am wondering how low is safe to take the Mavic 2 battery?  Not to get home, but what percentage is still good for the battery?  For some reason I always thought that landing around between 20-30% was best for the battery, but you dont get anywhere near the advertised 30 minutes bringing in the Mavic 2 at 30%..   I hovered for 29 minutes to take a long hyperlaspe and that still got me to 10% and a forced landing at 9%... Is that going to make the battery where out faster?

I read the manual and didnt see anything about this... All posts seem to think that less than 10% is bad, but I guess just 0% (deep discharge)  is a real problem?

I have a VEnom charger for my phantom batteries and that does a storage charge at 30%.  is that okay?  thats lower than DJI recommends.   I guess Ill find out when I charge them up. I have four phantom batteries and have barely used them this winter since getting my other drones.

2019-2-26
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never bellow 10%. It actually depends on situation.
When I fly away from home point I usually go back home at 30%. When flying near home point I may full around till 20%.
I’ve seen people flying long distance landing with 1%.
Your drone - you decide how far you want to push it.
But it’s a general knowledge that complete discharge is bad for batteries.
2019-2-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You should land your craft at no lower than 3.7v, if your lowest cell reaches 3.7v land immediately.

It doesn’t matter what percentage you land at it’s the min voltage that will effect your battery.

I use a couple of rules when flying and 3.7 is one of them, I check this regularly when flying and so should everyone.
I never fly on anything else than a fully freshly charged battery and I only fly once on this battery even if I land after only 20% use I will change the battery, taking chances with batteries will result in disaster, many take off on batteries that read 100% but have been hanging around for many days so could well have started hibernation and while reading 100% if voltage does not read 4.2 v or higher they are not 100% and this may be seen with sudden drop in power from reading 100% to 60% very fast .

Always keep lowest cell voltage on your display telemetry this will show you the lowest voltage of any cell of your battery .
2019-2-26
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I don't know what charge and discharge rates are the worse for the batteries,.  When it comes to flying, I set the CRITICAL warning at no less than 10$ just in case something happens where I need a little more time or whatever to land, and I set the normal warning at 20%, so that I keep checking the condition of the battery from at least THAT POINT on.  On some batteries in other things they want you to use it till it stops, and in others they want you to just use it till you notice something different, but from dji I have not seen anything but they will adjust themselves if left unused for a while.
2019-2-26
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats a good idea... I should leave the battery voltage on main screen..   
2019-2-26
Use props
djiuser_acOWWZbiD1Q3
New
Flight distance : 15118 ft

Uganda

Who can recommend where I can purchase a mavic 2 pro charger or alternative for the charger
2022-12-15
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

I read the manual and didnt see anything about this... All posts seem to think that less than 10% is bad, but I guess just 0% (deep discharge)  is a real problem?

DJI recommends to discharge the battery to zero every 20-25 cycle. The important thing is to not leave the battery in a zero charge state, then there is a risk damaging it.
The way I keep the battery healthy if I won't be flying for a while is to:
1. Charge it fully
2. Discharge it until the battery shuts off
3. Charge it up to 60%
Now it can be stored for 2-3 months.
I use a Hanatora charger for discharging, but of course you can fly and hover until it's empty
2022-12-16
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aim to land at 20% absolutely no lower than 15%.

If you plan to consistently go to 10% or lower, expect a battery failure in the near future.
2022-12-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-16 03:32
I agree with Hallmark.  To the OP, there is a toggle in the Battery section of Go4 settings to display battery voltage on the main screen.  If enabled when in the flight screen you will see the voltage displayed at the top right beside the battery percentage.

Hi,

Except that the mentioned value of 3.7 is incorrect in post #3
Typical cell values of Mavic2 in the chart.

Landing with < 10% battery level AND cell values all > 3.3 volts is oke to do for batt health.

So for flightplanning : land always > 20% battery level (never know if you need some extra time to land)
For battery health: land before cell values < 3.3 volts.

cheers
JJB

Mavic2cellvalues.png
2022-12-16
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

i just leave than factory min 25% settings on as a good buffer in case of something went wrong and rth is activated. works for me so far..
2022-12-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-16 05:13
I always sort of laugh at people worrying about discharge & landing at 30%.  I understand coming back so as not to be in a situation where you have to make a forced landing, but not for fear of damaging the batteries.  They are designed to be discharged.  The important thing to remember is DJI uses quality cells & they are designed with a cushion.  At 0% they are still above the threshold where damage should occur.  You can often eek out a minute or two of flight even at 0%.  I have flown many a DJI battery down to 1-2%, sometimes to & below 0%, & never experienced issues or noticed any adverse effect on battery longevity.  My Phantom 2 batteries from 2013 are still flyable.  All my Phantom 3 & P4 batteries still function & have seen heavy use since 2014-15, as are all but one of my Mavic Pro batteries from 2016 (one Mavic Pro battery just recently swelled).

That being said, the only DJI batteries I have ever had issues with are those in the Mavic 2.  Not from deep depletion just for some reason they seem prone to swelling.  I ordered my Mavic 2 on launch date & the original three batteries lasted about 3 years &

same experience here, all my batteries are staying in good shape, sometimes i do fly controlled to zero percent, just for testing purposes.

But it is good airmanship to land > 20 percent.

Agree on this beeping, in modern aircraft you can cancel the alarm sound, acknowledge the situation, attention getters remains red or amber.So don`t underdstand why it is not an option in the FlyApp. Safety issue??  well  we can disable OA  so why not beeping??
cheers
JJB

2022-12-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 12-16 06:01
same experience here, all my batteries are staying in good shape, sometimes i do fly controlled to zero percent, just for testing purposes.

But it is good airmanship to land > 20 percent.

I think landing at >20% is good Air”Man” ship, but drones don’t have Man in them Airman ships do. Drones are Unmanned aircraft so Airman does not strictly apply to them, I believe good healthy batteries on landing is most likely good enough for these size drones.

The beeping could be reduced but also has a purpose a combination of vibration and beeping or even beacon on the aircraft might help alleviate some of the stress of continuous beeping
2022-12-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 12-16 03:57
Hi,

Except that the mentioned value of 3.7 is incorrect in post #3

I think 3.7 on the ground known as rested value  will show in or around 3.3/3.4 in flight but there is a sag value when aircraft has taken off or flying, you will also see this when you start a fully freshly charged 4.25V on the ground will drop to approx 3.9V when you take off.
There is no exact sag value that I know of, but you can reasonably work this out for most of your aircraft so while hovering at 3.4v etc when coming to rest it will show approx 3.7. This is normal for all lipo batteries , it may differ slightly for dji HV Lipo but it should be very close.
2022-12-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hallmark007 Posted at 12-16 08:39
I think landing at >20% is good Air”Man” ship, but drones don’t have Man in them Airman ships do. Drones are Unmanned aircraft so Airman does not strictly apply to them, I believe good healthy batteries on landing is most likely good enough for these size drones.

The beeping could be reduced but also has a purpose a combination of vibration and beeping or even beacon on the aircraft might help alleviate some of the stress of continuous beeping

...not strictly apply to...., fun reaction Hallmark, what point do you wanna make ?

Drones are Unmanned aircrafts i know...that is why the pilot is called a remote pilot.
Airmanship is also used for real aircrew, so in that analogic also for remote pilots.
ofcourse not 'strictly...   ;-)

cheers
JJB

2022-12-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 12-16 10:25
...not strictly apply to...., fun reaction Hallmark, what point do you wanna make ?

Drones are Unmanned aircrafts i know...that is why the pilot is called a remote pilot.

Airmanship refers to on board pilots or onboard crew , not unmanned drone pilots or operators and thats a fact . And thats my point.
Airmanship was and is a term for onboard pilots and was there long before consumer or any other drones were in the skies . You wouldn’t refer to boat pilots as airmanship or boatmanship but they are also boat “pilots” .

When you speak of airmanship it refers to on board pilots not remote pilots , they are not the same .
2022-12-16
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 12-16 11:34
Airmanship refers to on board pilots or onboard crew , not unmanned drone pilots or operators and thats a fact . And thats my point.
Airmanship was and is a term for onboard pilots and was there long before consumer or any other drones were in the skies . You wouldn’t refer to boat pilots as airmanship or boatmanship but they are also boat “pilots” .

You must be incredibly fun at parties.
2022-12-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-16 05:13
I always sort of laugh at people worrying about discharge & landing at 30%.  I understand coming back so as not to be in a situation where you have to make a forced landing, but not for fear of damaging the batteries.  They are designed to be discharged.  The important thing to remember is DJI uses quality cells & they are designed with a cushion.  At 0% they are still above the threshold where damage should occur.  You can often eek out a minute or two of flight even at 0%.  I have flown many a DJI battery down to 1-2%, sometimes to & below 0%, & never experienced issues or noticed any adverse effect on battery longevity.  My Phantom 2 batteries from 2013 are still flyable.  All my Phantom 3 & P4 batteries still function & have seen heavy use since 2014-15, as are all but one of my Mavic Pro batteries from 2016 (one Mavic Pro battery just recently swelled).

That being said, the only DJI batteries I have ever had issues with are those in the Mavic 2.  Not from deep depletion just for some reason they seem prone to swelling.  I ordered my Mavic 2 on launch date & the original three batteries lasted about 3 years &

There is a rested on the ground Voltage, when you take off or fly it will show a lower voltage “lag” until it returns to rest, this will be different on all drones but is easy to work out if you check voltage regularly, on an M2 if the voltage goes to low it will turn red “time to land”
This will be the same as all lipo batteries and although dji batteries are HV Lipos it will be the same.
2022-12-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 12-16 11:38
You must be incredibly fun at parties.

You know pilots sometimes get offended being in the same category as an untrained mini3 pilot , now we can fly to 1000ft we may as well refer to ourselves as astronauts
2022-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules