Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Feature Request: Digital Zoom
845 4 2019-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

One of the things I have found myself enjoying with the Osmo Pocket is the side effect of a 2x crop on Slow Mo mode. Of course Slow Mo comes withthe caveate of way less light and some loss in quality (probabaly due to binning?)

Anyways, I would love to see a 2x crop while recording in 1080p which would theoretically mean lossless 1080p video considering the 4K sensor. It would also likely be higher quality that a post crop of 4K footage on a 2K timeline as is the case with digital zoom on a camera like the GH5. In addition to the quality benefits, it also allows for better framing of the subject on a moving shot to have the crop active while shooting rather than in post.

Anyone else think this would be useful?
2019-2-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we really appreciate you for being interested in using the DJI Product. This will be sent to our R&D team for future reference as well. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I know this is not the same but what is wrong with shooting 4K and then cropping in post editing? Then you could choose how much zoom you wanted and may just be able to get the framing you want with no risk of maybe losing a section by allowing the camera to crop.
2019-2-27
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-27 14:05
I know this is not the same but what is wrong with shooting 4K and then cropping in post editing? Then you could choose how much zoom you wanted and may just be able to get the framing you want with no risk of maybe losing a section by allowing the camera to crop.

As I said, a crop during capture has better quality than a post zoom. Something to do with compression? Probably macro blocking, ect... complicated codec stuff. You can see this result with higher end cameras like the GH5.

Secondly, as also stated, tracking and cropping a shot in post does not allow for proper framing and movement when filming a moving shot (which is arguably the main point of a gimbal). To correct for improper camera movement to maintain the frame on the subject digitally will almost always look just that: digital. The human eye can detect the disparity between motion blur and other vartiations between foreground and background that don’t add up.
2019-2-27
Use props
So Itchy
lvl.1
Japan

I hope also
2019-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules