Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass Calibration
4334 51 2019-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 10:24
I think if all those problems were prevalent in most areas of launch then we would never get off the ground.

It is possible to take off from some hidden metal objects, so it’s always wise to check your app and what happens in those situations I will explain below.

Is this same concept lost pairing, inertial and magnetic, not experienced by the soft and fw, in the other models?
2019-3-11
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

Well, if the mavic air compass system falls prey this easily amongst other models, wouldn't a superior solution be shield it but dont immobilize it from navigating properly?
I still retain my eaglescout compass 1960. It doesnt nag me for cal. Its static
Yes it drifts off true when interfered. But i can detect that, how so, by going elsewhere until the direction does not change, hence you believe none interfere.
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

cutis Posted at 3-11 10:49
Well, if the mavic air compass system falls prey this easily amongst other models, wouldn't a superior solution be shield it but dont immobiluze it from navigating properly?

Well in there lies the problem, why would they bother sealing when the vast majority of Mavic Air are not having problems OP is having.

One thing is clear though, MavAir has had much less problems with compass problems when it comes to crashes, much less than Mavic Pro, P4, P4Pro, Spark and many older models so one thing we know that whatever dji changed overall it has been a good move, I’m sure more work to be done, we have also seen this continued on with the new M2 models.
For now I don’t have any problem working around this continued being asked to calibrate .
2019-3-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 10:58
Well in there lies the problem, why would they bother sealing when the vast majority of Mavic Air are not having problems OP is having.

One thing is clear though, MavAir has had much less problems with compass problems when it comes to crashes, much less than Mavic Pro, P4, P4Pro, Spark and many older models so one thing we know that whatever dji changed overall it has been a good move, I’m sure more work to be done, we have also seen this continued on with the new M2 models.

my mavic pro never ever had compass issues...  my mavic air on the other hand its not unbearable since reclibrating it the old school way (basically a simplified calibration dance) but its definitely a different experience..as in much more sensitive and picky and irritating when it errors. for some people mavic air hates working in other countries basically locking the compass....this i still cannot understand and kinda want to experiance just to attempt to understand
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-11 11:01
my mavic pro never ever had compass issues...  my mavic air on the other hand its not unbearable since reclibrating it the old school way (basically a simplified calibration dance) but its definitely a different experience..as in much more sensitive and picky and irritating when it errors. for some people mavic air hates working in other countries basically locking the compass....this i still cannot understand and kinda want to experiance just to attempt to understand

Well I have travelled with MavAir and I just have the same problems it always asked to be calibrated or moved, I’m convinced sensors for compass in some MavAir are to sensitive, but I have no problem calibrating it and I have travelled to 4 different countries, never got the lock out.

2019-3-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 3-11 07:47
to all above compass edifies, hedge and hall speak of contending with the situation by regimented ritual procedures. the sad part of all of this trouble with takeoff compass nagging is the proximity area for takeoff likely is the culprit (EMI and or ferrous). and you have to BELIEVE your drone indication of it.
sad, sad, sad, because here is where you'd like to launch to acquire that priceless cinemaphotography, but launchpad is locked out by ferrous and or EMI bombardment.
too bad mavic can not via waived exception, rise to hover, probably escaping such vicinity EMI and or ferrous, then ascertain coordinates for home and navigation

Please don't lump me in.  I have spent lot of hours testing and experimenting with sources of magnetic interference impact on earth's magnetic field and electronic compasses (drones and smart devices).  My first Mavic Pro Platinum was nortorious for whinning about it's compasses needing calibration.  So bad, I got to where I would do one calibration for day, and ignore any more whinning about compasses.  After I switched from iPhone / iPad to using a CrystalSky monitor, those false indications stopped.  Chalk it up to differences in GO-4 software between iOS & DJI's version of Android, I don't know.

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of F.U.D. or Internet grapevine advise on issues of Magnetic Interference.  As in, first person says several inches, then next person adds several more inches for ''safety'', and next person goes with advise of a foot (just to be sure), and so forth.  What is rarely mentioned, is effects of magnetic interference, rapidly decreases as distance from source is increased.  One only needs to hold a strong magnetc a foot away from a piece of steel, then start moving magnet towards steel to experience the effect.  With Reverse, pulling magnet off steel, to confirm.  

As such, Mavic drone does not need a "waived exception".   When all it usually takes is moving Mavic drone a short distance on ground.  When entire area is effected due to say steel mesh or rebar in concrete, slightly elevating Mavic drones launch / landing pad has been more than enough to stop whinning about compass calibration or change compass field strength bars from Red / Yellow to short Green bars (Good to Go).

In regards to ''you have to BELIEVE your drone indication of it''...  

Magnetic Interference Apps I alluded to, like GaussTesla Meter or Tesla Recorder, can be used to decide if drone compass(es) is indeed detecting magnetic interference from a nearby source, or if drone compass(es) are giving a false warning (false positive).  Leading to possible causes of compass(es) need calibration, drone needs degaussing, possibly a firmware/software problem, or there is a hardware problem involving electronic compass(es) (X,Y,&Z magnetic field strength sensors).  Whether someone chooses to use such Apps is up to them.  But I see Apps as no different than any of ofther Add-ons, be it Litich software, Firehouse strobes, or Antenna boosters.

There has also been mention of TBE (Toilet Bowl  Effect) in relation to sources of magnetic interference.  Even though  there are videos of drones suffering from TBE, what has not been shown  is actual cause.  Between Magnetic Interference being invisible to naked  eye and Lore surrounding Magnetic Interference, to many people have  assumed TBE was result of ferrous metal in vincity of drone.  In  none of videos does anyone verify whether drone's compass(es) were malfunctioning, compass(es) had shifted position inside drone, or drone's compass(ese) had been calibrated correctly prior to demonstrating TBE.

2019-3-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-11 11:01
my mavic pro never ever had compass issues...  my mavic air on the other hand its not unbearable since reclibrating it the old school way (basically a simplified calibration dance) but its definitely a different experience..as in much more sensitive and picky and irritating when it errors. for some people mavic air hates working in other countries basically locking the compass....this i still cannot understand and kinda want to experiance just to attempt to understand

for some people mavic air hates working in other countries basically locking the compass....this i still cannot understand and kinda want to experiance just to attempt to understand

Even though I don't have a Mavic Air, I still would like to understand as to why changing countries causes compass problems.  For a while, after see / reading numerous threads on problem, I thought it had something to do with Mavics crossing Equator.  If drone was originally initiated in Northern hemisphere countries, then taken to Southern hemisphere countries - the result was compass problems.  But several members have shown that not to be case.  Very interesting and puzzling problem.
2019-3-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-11 12:28
for some people mavic air hates working in other countries basically locking the compass....this i still cannot understand and kinda want to experiance just to attempt to understand

Even though I don't have a Mavic Air, I still would like to understand as to why changing countries causes compass problems.  For a while, after see / reading numerous threads on problem, I thought it had something to do with Mavics crossing Equator.  If drone was originally initiated in Northern hemisphere countries, then taken to Southern hemisphere countries - the result was compass problems.  But several members have shown that not to be case.  Very interesting and puzzling problem.

one of those great mysteries of the world hahaha
2019-3-11
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

After the complete march2019 updates all four devices (s8,rc,battery,drone) the compass nag quit at my launch site. I found a sweet spot in parking lot roof stall marked by smashed up key chain of tiny linked spheres. Prior update that sweetspot did ask but always, repeat always, succeeded flashing green butt. You'd believe placing succeeded cal on sweetspot would regenerate another nag, but no, the apk indicates all good. Return same sweetspot and land there is no nag. Change battery and nag returns, succeed cal, all good, go fly. Non-sweetspot can not succeed, yet after three non-succeeds, yellow orangish screen top margin warns altitude cap invoked. But nothing of cal. Yet the blink green butt NEVER occurred. Flight is perfect control.
So apparently the update must have relaxed threshold margins that were too darn tight.
There's no nag but only that sweetspot. Infers the deck parking structure isn't ideal though quite barren of cars people obstructs
2019-3-16
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 09:42
You have that completely wrong, what op is talking about is continuous calibrating everytime he try’s to fly.
I also have similar problem with my Mavic Air and this problem is a known problem with Mavic Air .

Whats needed is  affirming hardware trouble resulting in nag. Dropped phones shoot out of focus, no error reported. Its a displaced align from impact. So craft spills into whatever jarrs, enough to mandate the question "any hits?" before proceeding into troubleshooting.
Maybe the categorical classification should be split right there.
Many forum folks received craft jarring and or impact.
By splitting the crowd, we can then relate the propensity unsubstantiated substantiated nag as intended by design.
2019-3-16
Use props
H&M
New
Argentina

Guillo10 Posted at 3-2 14:00
desmagnetizador de brujula.....prueba con eso

donde lo consigo.... viaje desde el hemisferio norte al sur y no pude hacer ninguna foto porque el maldito drone está descalibrado y no logro calibrarlo, no importa en qué lugar lo intente... siempre hay interferencia magnética...
2019-4-16
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 413 ft
Argentina

H&M Posted at 4-16 12:11
donde lo consigo.... viaje desde el hemisferio norte al sur y no pude hacer ninguna foto porque el maldito drone está descalibrado y no logro calibrarlo, no importa en qué lugar lo intente... siempre hay interferencia magnética...

Hola, lograste calibrar ? como lo solucionaste?

Saludos
2019-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules