12Next >
4337 51 2019-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sebasgr1
New
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Ecuador

Hi guys im Sebastian, Just bought a new Mavic Air and its asking me to do a compass calibration every single time im about to fly, is this normal ? Cause i had the Spark before the mavic air and it never had that problem i just calibrated it once. (all software is up to date.)By the way my Mavic Air is a Refurbished Unit so im scared of this being the problem, im afraid i have a damaged unit.
What do they mean by Refurbished btw?
Please Someone Help Me !

Thank You !

2019-2-28
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Whether it is normal is a good question, All I can say is that it is very common.
Some people have to re-cal many times before it calibrates OK.

Search for Mavic Air Degauss, some have reported great success with a degaussing tool which you can make.
2019-2-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, our apologies for the inconvenience. May I know what happened prior to the issue? By the way, these are the scenarios why we need to calibrate the compass.
1. When the app prompts that the compass needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference.
2. When powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then re calibration is needed.
3. To ensure the flight stability, the app will prompt you to calibrate the compass when there is a need. Please follow the app and calibrate it.
2019-2-28
Use props
djiuser_iCby8PEY0bYZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26175 ft

United States

My Air requires compass calibration more than I'd like, also. The above is correct, turn it on in your car, or near a lot of metal and it will need calibration. Move to a new location where the coordinates have changed, it will need calibration. It's a small bother for the assurance that the Air knows where it is. Sometimes, I turn it off, move and turn it on with no calibration required.
2019-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If your changing location it will keep asking for calibration.
2019-2-28
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mavic Air wants a compass calibration if I fly at a different location more than 2 miles away. It's a bit of a pain, none of my other drones (all DJI) do that.
2019-2-28
Use props
Noibla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76086 ft
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-28 09:14
Hi there, our apologies for the inconvenience. May I know what happened prior to the issue? By the way, these are the scenarios why we need to calibrate the compass.
1. When the app prompts that the compass needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference. Make sure to fly the aircraft in an open area free of interference.
2. When powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then re calibration is needed.

How do you initiate calibration *without* the app? In soime cases, the led indicator of the Air signals that calibration is required, but how to initiate without the app?
2019-3-1
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

I need to calibrate my compass before every single flight. Even from the same location. No metal or electromagnetic emissions nowhere near.Many times I need to go through the process 2-3 times . A royal pain in the butt!
2019-3-2
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 413 ft
Argentina

nywrecker Posted at 3-2 10:29
I need to calibrate my compass before every single flight. Even from the same location. No metal or electromagnetic emissions nowhere near.Many times I need to go through the process 2-3 times . A royal pain in the butt!

desmagnetizador de brujula.....prueba con eso
2019-3-2
Use props
Morvan
New
Flight distance : 988 ft
Brazil

It is normal the more interference there is in the environment the more times it will be necessary to calibrate the compass
2019-3-2
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

it is fine just move to another launchpad area and soon you will know where to stay away from (transmitting stations, transformers, wiring powerline, embedded concrete steel, and so forth)
2019-3-2
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

do not consume your mind over "refurbished". there are proofed standards that MUST be met before releasing to sales. you are familiar with car replacement parts such as the starter, right? it works so long as qaqc is maintained by the enterprise (dell, intel, apple, mercedes benz, ...)
2019-3-2
Use props
BearMan54
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161923 ft
United States

I've had my Mavic Air about a year, flown it 86 times & have only calibrated the compass less than 5 times & flown in lots of different areas....
2019-3-5
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

cutis Posted at 3-2 17:02
do not consume your mind over "refurbished". there are proofed standards that MUST be met before releasing to sales. you are familiar with car replacement parts such as the starter, right? it works so long as qaqc is maintained by the enterprise (dell, intel, apple, mercedes benz, ...)

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
2019-3-8
Use props
Manuel F.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15748786 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

If you start the Drone away from metal frames, cars or something similar the error will apear less. I have try it several times. Near to the car it give always an error.
2019-3-9
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-28 10:16
If your changing location it will keep asking for calibration.

No. I always receive cal nag because i am on terrible steel ibeams concrete parking structure. So powerdown nag unfulfilled, drive to manoa park, powerup, last "unfulfilled nag" gone, none requested at manoa park. If i purposely place craft on a steel grating coverplate in manoa park, bingo, cal nag. That shows you iron elicits cal
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

Noibla Posted at 3-1 12:50
How do you initiate calibration *without* the app? In soime cases, the led indicator of the Air signals that calibration is required, but how to initiate without the app?

You fly without the apk? Try the cal regardless watching for completion success, on the 2nd rotate plane, blinking green butt led means successful. The rc buttons might be involved for sequencing acknowledging this but i havent seen any documentation
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

nywrecker Posted at 3-2 10:29

The claim of site having zero electromagnetic vibing and zero ferrous materials has to be measured. The human itself could be a source laden with apparel and items. There exists meters which can probe such interferes. Remember,  electromagnetic radiation AND ferrous, not just iron
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 3-8 18:01
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The compass is delicate. Thats why 1st inquiry asks "IMPACT"? So folks not realizing they've actually injured the delicacy, are in need of greater help (swap). The compass is perfect when you have confidence to launch at designated site any ole time zero nag.  I found one particular tarmac spot and left a keychain there. It always works! A pigeon flew that chain away, but i already memorized its invalueability. And yeah, if car comes near and parks the nag does come!
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cutis Posted at 3-10 13:08
No. I always receive cal nag because i am on terrible steel ibeams concrete parking structure. So powerdown nag unfulfilled, drive to manoa park, powerup, last "unfulfilled nag" gone, none requested at manoa park. If i purposely place craft on a steel grating coverplate in manoa park, bingo, cal nag. That shows you iron elicits cal

You obviously didn’t understand what I was referring to. If your compass NEEDS calibration if you compass values are not correct then no matter where you go, it will still need calibration.

If you have magnetic interference which is what you referring to, of course if you move away from the interference it will be gone. I would never advise anyone to calibrate in an area of magnetic interference, below is my preflight procedure.

TipTo Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cutis Posted at 3-10 13:08
No. I always receive cal nag because i am on terrible steel ibeams concrete parking structure. So powerdown nag unfulfilled, drive to manoa park, powerup, last "unfulfilled nag" gone, none requested at manoa park. If i purposely place craft on a steel grating coverplate in manoa park, bingo, cal nag. That shows you iron elicits cal

You obviously didn’t understand what I was referring to. If your compass NEEDS calibration if you compass values are not correct then no matter where you go, it will still need calibration.

If you have magnetic interference which is what you referring to, of course if you move away from the interference it will be gone. I would never advise anyone to calibrate in an area of magnetic interference, below is my preflight procedure.

TipTo Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-10 13:31

Oh, okay, i understand, your situation is there definitely is misalignment in the aircraft compass module. Then that means it changed from the time when it was not misaligned. How it misaligns can be two ways, impact mechanical jarring severe, magnetization influence by external field (guitar speaker magnet guass). Electromagnetic radiation can not injure it, its ac. But it will confuse it triggering cal
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-10 13:31

Not meager two minutes, it takes like seven, going through the chkoff screen that immediately loads when tapping the banner "GO FLY" of splashscreen.
The chkoff tributaries reveal lots more, should you venture addressing them all - takes time, plus brain cells are dying too, when you get old
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cutis Posted at 3-10 13:48
Not meager two minutes, it takes like seven, going through the chkoff screen that immediately loads when tapping the banner "GO FLY" of splashscreen.
The chkoff tributaries reveal lots more, should you venture addressing them all - takes time, plus brain cells are dying too, when you get old

From what I posted to flying off less than two minutes, find my commercial preflight in link below.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=152011
2019-3-10
Use props
coltont00
New
Flight distance : 797 ft
United States

Sebastian, I too have been having this same thing happen to me with my new mavic air. I am not sure if it is normal but it sounds like it is a very common thing that happens! Hope this helps brother!
2019-3-10
Use props
coltont00
New
Flight distance : 797 ft
United States

Hello, I hope this thread is appropriate to post this question in. Today I noticed that my mavic air disabled all flight functions mid air (500+ ft out, 1k ft up...) with about 20% battery remaining. It would not let me fly anywhere. It just hovered in place. I tried to return home and it said RTH disabled due to flight restricted area. When I took off, it did not prompt me to accept any flight restrictions like it normally does. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I don't want this to be a reoccurring thing during flights (super scary).
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

coltont00 Posted at 3-10 15:57
Hello, I hope this thread is appropriate to post this question in. Today I noticed that my mavic air disabled all flight functions mid air (500+ ft out, 1k ft up...) with about 20% battery remaining. It would not let me fly anywhere. It just hovered in place. I tried to return home and it said RTH disabled due to flight restricted area. When I took off, it did not prompt me to accept any flight restrictions like it normally does. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I don't want this to be a reoccurring thing during flights (super scary).

Holy cows
What are the causes aside target fw?
2019-3-10
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

I mean, it is as if updates are to blame, kinda hard to accept as truth, being prompted to doom?
2019-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Just bought a new Mavic Air and its asking me to do a compass calibration every single time im about to fly, is this normal ?

No.  You should not have to do a compass calibration every single time, unless you are flying drone hundreds of miles away** from last point drone was flown.  Even then few pilots have to recalibrate their drone's compass.

UPDATE: ** Here is an exception - "My Mavic Air wants a compass calibration if I fly at a different location more than 2 miles away."

By the way my Mavic Air is a Refurbished Unit so im scared of this being the problem, im afraid i have a damaged unit.

I would return Refurbished Unit and since you recently bought it - ask for a replacement.

2019-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_iCby8PEY0bYZ Posted at 2-28 09:20
My Air requires compass calibration more than I'd like, also. The above is correct, turn it on in your car, or near a lot of metal and it will need calibration. Move to a new location where the coordinates have changed, it will need calibration. It's a small bother for the assurance that the Air knows where it is. Sometimes, I turn it off, move and turn it on with no calibration required.

My Air requires compass calibration more than I'd like, also. The above is correct, turn it on in your car, or near a lot of metal and it will need calibration.

One thing you do not want to do is calibrate the compass "in your car, or near a lot of metal".   In such cases, turn drone off, get out of car or move away from metal, then power drone on.  If you still get a compass re-calibration request, then move at least 30-feet (I prefer hundred feet) from any source of magnetic interference, make sure you do not have any ferrous metals on you, and then do a compass calibration.
2019-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 3-10 13:20
The claim of site having zero electromagnetic vibing and zero ferrous materials has to be measured. The human itself could be a source laden with apparel and items. There exists meters which can probe such interferes. Remember,  electromagnetic radiation AND ferrous, not just iron

There exists meters which can probe such interferes. Remember,  electromagnetic radiation AND ferrous, not just iron

Such meters already exist in most Smart phones.  You can download free (or very inexpensive) iOS or Android Apps that will show magnetic interference to Earth's magnetic field.  Depending on App, it can show you deviations in all three axis or combine vector deviation.  With deviation being less than or greater than Earth's magnetic field.

2019-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Despite what a few have said - Calibrating your drone's compass, regardless of whether it is indicated or not, will not harm drone's compass or result inaccurate compass; as long as you do compass calibration correctly.

During magnetic interference testing, I have repeatedly calibrated my MPp's compasses without problems.  Additionally, during numerous refreshing of firmware, downgrading, and up grading of Firmware, following DJI's recommendations of calibrating drone, different MPp's compasses have been calibrated numerous times, without problems.
2019-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

coltont00 Posted at 3-10 15:57

Today I noticed that my mavic air disabled all flight functions mid air (500+ ft out, 1k ft up...)

If you had flown your Mavic Air to altitude above 400-feet (you mentioned "1k ft up..."), then you were exceeding maximum altitude in U.S.  Other countries have similar max altitude limit.  With exception when flying from a man-made structure (aka tower or building).

2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It seems for some Mavic air sensors for calibration are in some cases too sensitive, I suggest that you try launching from the same location a few days running, to see if it persists.

BTW refurbs, one thing I can say for certain dji refurbs , certainly around here sometimes seem to out preform new drones, I see very little complaints almost none with refurbs.

I think when we read threads, we should bare in mind the question being asked or the relevance of the question and give our attention to that.

Calibrating compass, your craft is equipped with everything it needs to warn you of any magnetic interference in your area of launch.
If your compass needs calibration it will ask you to calibrate, it’s a great part of your technology use it.

Calibrating your compass is fine at anytime, but it takes very little savvy to realize that if you have a good compass you can’t make it better by calibration.

The OP speaks of constant calibration request so telling him to continually calibrate even when drone doesn’t ask for it, is flying in the face of the problem he is trying to sort out.

Let’s try keep to the thread topic, instead of offering advice for users to get second devices apps etc . Your drone has all it needs it doesn’t require anything else.
2019-3-11
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

to all above compass edifies, hedge and hall speak of contending with the situation by regimented ritual procedures. the sad part of all of this trouble with takeoff compass nagging is the proximity area for takeoff likely is the culprit (EMI and or ferrous). and you have to BELIEVE your drone indication of it.
sad, sad, sad, because here is where you'd like to launch to acquire that priceless cinemaphotography, but launchpad is locked out by ferrous and or EMI bombardment.
too bad mavic can not via waived exception, rise to hover, probably escaping such vicinity EMI and or ferrous, then ascertain coordinates for home and navigation
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cutis Posted at 3-11 07:47
to all above compass edifies, hedge and hall speak of contending with the situation by regimented ritual procedures. the sad part of all of this trouble with takeoff compass nagging is the proximity area for takeoff likely is the culprit (EMI and or ferrous). and you have to BELIEVE your drone indication of it.
sad, sad, sad, because here is where you'd like to launch to acquire that priceless cinemaphotography, but launchpad is locked out by ferrous and or EMI bombardment.
too bad mavic can not via waived exception, rise to hover, probably escaping such vicinity EMI and or ferrous, then ascertain coordinates for home and navigation

You have that completely wrong, what op is talking about is continuous calibrating everytime he try’s to fly.
I also have similar problem with my Mavic Air and this problem is a known problem with Mavic Air .

I can place Mavic Air on the ground, it asks to be calibrated, same time same place I also try P4Pro Mavic Pro and M2, none of these aircraft asks for calibration .

In all cases all compasses show good values in app and all show correct heading on app.

So no EMI or ferrous in the area of launch, if there was it would be picked up by all drones and would certainly show up on the app.

In the normal scheme of things there are almost no problems launching with dji craft and Mavic Air is fine for most people.

Preflight is something most sensible users will do, if you don’t want to do them that’s your prerogative.

And if I misunderstood what you wrote, that might be down to you ;+):::::
2019-3-11
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 09:42
You have that completely wrong, what op is talking about is continuous calibrating everytime he try’s to fly.
I also have similar problem with my Mavic Air and this problem is a known problem with Mavic Air .

You can consider the other model drones not so compass cal finickey.
Apparently the folks discontented do compare and reason nag unsubstantiated.
What i do not know is whether other models, not experiencing nags at wanton site of launch, have entirely legacy navigational principles of operation, opposed to mavic air which is the latest . Recall earlier discussion regarding mavic air's indifference navigating, wlan control schema, in comparison to legacy proven models.
2019-3-11
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

cutis Posted at 3-11 10:00
You can consider the other model drones not so compass cal finickey.
Apparently the folks discontented do compare and reason nag unsubstantiated.
What i do not know is whether other models, not experiencing nags at wanton site of launch, have entirely legacy navigational principles of operation, opposed to mavic air which is the latest . Recall earlier discussion regarding mavic air's indifference navigating, wlan control schema, in comparison to legacy proven models.

To discredit fw regarding compass nag, it must be evidenced by actual EMI & FERROUS measurements at the nag coordinates launch position, of course real time (can EMi & FERROUS change on the fly?)
That trumps truth.
I think its called a sounding probe for FERROUS used to locate embedded piping for excavation repairs. Theres also nuclear sounding to evidence velocity of the dipole water molecule (leaking out)
As for EMI presence, the oscilloscope with decent transducer frequency sensation (aerial antennae) should clarify interference presence
2019-3-11
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

We ALL desire that any all illegit nags in mavic air soft and fw be  rid, why, because it adds to proficiency accomplishing task at hand, say, observe activities, deliver payload, spectate cinemaphotography, show of presence, and etc....
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cutis Posted at 3-11 10:11
To discredit fw regarding compass nag, it must be evidenced by actual EMI & FERROUS measurements at the nag coordinates launch position, of course real time (can EMi & FERROUS change on the fly?)
That trumps truth.
I think its called a sounding probe for FERROUS used to locate embedded piping for excavation repairs. Theres also nuclear sounding to evidence velocity of the dipole water molecule (leaking out)

I think if all those problems were prevalent in most areas of launch then we would never get off the ground.

It is possible to take off from some hidden metal objects, so it’s always wise to check your app and what happens in those situations I will explain below.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.
2019-3-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules