ND-PL Filters: with rotating bezels or those without?
3612 20 2019-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I am comparing ND-PL filters set (Core filters needed: ND-8/PL+ND-16/PL+ND-32/PL+ND-64/PL) for osmo pocket

Non-rotating PL e.g. PGYtech vs Rotating bezel PL e.g. Freewell/Polar Pro
Former group are generally cheaper than latter group.
But given many people are buying the latter group, I wonder what are the benefits of rotating ND-PL filters over non-rotating ones?
If I use non-rotating ones, what kinda hassle shall I take? Also dear OP users, could you tell me what are real difference(s)
among the 3 brands, besides rotating-bezel thingy on PL filters? (e.g. durability, color toning, weigh, coating(s).....etc)
Many many thanks

2019-2-28
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the PgyTech as I like the slotted casing which makes handling them real easy and I can attach and detach them while filming without pause. Their case design is also superior as the filter are held to the case via the magnet on the filter and they are a lot easier to remove and store than those held by foam. I also rarely use the Op with the phone attached so itll be hard to determine the proper rotation angle for the circular filter on the OP screen so I just went with the fixed PL and it has served me well.
2019-2-28
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Wiz33 Posted at 2-28 21:03
I like the PgyTech as I like the slotted casing which makes handling them real easy and I can attach and detach them while filming without pause. Their case design is also superior as the filter are held to the case via the magnet on the filter and they are a lot easier to remove and store than those held by foam. I also rarely use the Op with the phone attached so itll be hard to determine the proper rotation angle for the circular filter on the OP screen so I just went with the fixed PL and it has served me well.

My use of OP is quite different. The wireless unit & go pro mount are always attached to OP -- either for backpack mount or mini-gorilla tripod mount (also as selfie stick), and almost always with phone doing remote control.

My concern is whether I would need to film partially polarized light setting? or Is fully depolarized light setting always desirable? or shall I adjust OP angles/tripod constantly in static shots/ timelapses so as to get optimum polarized light setting? I assume PGYtech ND PL filters assume max depolarized light setting when is upright horizontal, but what if I film the sky with elevated /tilted angle or spiral in FPV?
2019-2-28
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bigbearhk Posted at 2-28 21:20
My use of OP is quite different. My wireless unit & go pro mount is always attached to OP. Either its for backpack mount or mini-gorilla tripod mount (also as selfie stick), almost always with phone doing remote control.

My concern is whether I would need to film partially polarized light setting? or Is fully depolarized light setting always desirable? or shall I adjust OP angles/tripod constantly in static shots/ timelapses so as to get optimum polarized light setting?

Guess it also depends on what you're trying to achieve. I'm a casual user using it for travel and everyday stuff. Putting on a ND filter is about all I'm willing to do for better results. I'm certainly not going to stop everytime I change my  travel/walking direction and adjust a circular filter for the best possible result.
2019-2-28
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Get CPL filters (rotating) because you can adjust the degree of polarization (on the lower setting it will not be visible compared to a normal ND). Get the PolarPro because they have a rubberized magnet strip that will not scratch your OP lens. I posted a thread regarding Skyreat filters scratching mine. In addition their coatings, filter box, app and construction are excellent.
2019-3-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day bigbearhk. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendations here from our valued DJI Members and Customers who uses these ND-PL Filters for there DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.

2019-3-2
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-2 12:31
Hello and good day bigbearhk. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendations here from our valued DJI Members and Customers who uses these ND-PL Filters for there DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.

HI Stephen, Thank you for your reply
I end up buying a PGYTech NP-PL set (8-PL, 16-PL, 32-PL, 64-PL).
They are fun to play with, esp in capturing angel-light from the sky and getting rid of glaresm while reducing over-exposure. However I saw a major limitation that I cannot adjust degree of depolarization, I probably would get a Polar Pro / freewell set in the future.
Also ND-64-PL is only usable in really rare occasion, e.g. extreme snow-glare in really shiny day??
2019-3-4
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bigbearhk Posted at 3-4 07:29
They are fun to play with, esp in capturing angel-light from the sky and getting rid of glaresm while reducing over-exposure. However I saw a major limitation that I cannot adjust degree of depolarization, I probably would get a Polar Pro / freewell set in the future.

The ND64 is mostly used for shooting long exposure photos.
2019-3-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

bigbearhk Posted at 3-4 07:29

You are very much welcome bigbearhk and thank you for the additional information given. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-3-4
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Wiz33 Posted at 3-4 08:28

Ha ha thank you, I'll try this one, there are some really cool pix around (with Long expisure)
2019-3-4
Use props
sstolk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215558 ft
Netherlands

Well... The PolarPro ND vivid cinema edition got back to the store today!
They didn't fit properly. 1 edge of the ND filter was sitting over the edge of the camera lens. Result: Almost lost a lens during startup gimbal init.
Just a half a mm too big. I'm now waiting for the PGYTECH just to be sure. It's not the OP that's different because my collegue has also an OP and the filters don't fit either...
2019-3-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

sstolk Posted at 3-4 10:21
Well... The PolarPro ND vivid cinema edition got back to the store today!
They didn't fit properly. 1 edge of the ND filter was sitting over the edge of the camera lens. Result: Almost lost a lens during startup gimbal init.
Just a half a mm too big. I'm now waiting for the PGYTECH just to be sure. It's not the OP that's different because my collegue has also an OP and the filters don't fit either...

That is weird. I saw some reviews online and no one mentioned it. I just got the shutter and vivid collection before buying the Osmo Pocket (waiting for restock) and can’t verify. Can somebody else check? Can a Polarpro representative weigh in?
2019-3-4
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

andrei193 Posted at 3-4 12:20
That is weird. I saw some reviews online and no one mentioned it. I just got the shutter and vivid collection before buying the Osmo Pocket (waiting for restock) and can’t verify. Can somebody else check? Can a Polarpro representative weigh in?

Got my new osmo pocket today and tested the Polarpro vivid collection series filters. They fit perfectly and work as advertised.
2019-3-6
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

andrei193 Posted at 3-6 06:10
Got my new osmo pocket today and tested the Polarpro vivid collection series filters. They fit perfectly and work as advertised.
Nice to hear u got this fun gadget.
I got mine a few weeks ago and gathered some really crucial parts alongside. Did u order wireless unit and a clamp/ backpack mount? I consider these are 2 most important parts so that u can work with OP with minimum hassle. A mini gorilla tripod is also essential so that time lapses and long exposure would function properly.

Gosh i wish i had bought Polar pro or Freewell set instead. In terms of price, Polar pro is marginally closed to PGYtech but latter set has no bezels!
2019-3-6
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

bigbearhk Posted at 3-6 08:56
Nice to hear u got this fun gadget.
I got mine a few weeks ago and gathered some really crucial parts alongside. Did u order wireless unit and a clamp/ backpack mount? I consider these are 2 most important parts so that u can work with OP with minimum hassle. A mini gorilla tripod is also essential so that time lapses and long exposure would function properly.

I have ordered the accessory mount and nd filters. I am planning to get the Tripod mount from polar pro. I am having some problems with charging. It gets warm and hot near the top of the body where the gimbal connects. I was using a 5v/1A and it took 2 hours to get from 16% to 76%. Got a lg 5v/1.8A and it seems to not get as hot. I am waiting now to see if I succeed to charge it to 100%.
2019-3-6
Use props
bigbearhk
lvl.2
Hong Kong

andrei193 Posted at 3-6 09:20
I have ordered the accessory mount and nd filters. I am planning to get the Tripod mount from polar pro. I am having some problems with charging. It gets warm and hot near the top of the body where the gimbal connects. I was using a 5v/1A and it took 2 hours to get from 16% to 76%. Got a lg 5v/1.8A and it seems to not get as hot. I am waiting now to see if I succeed to charge it to 100%.

The more i read about other ppl's experience (regarding use of OP), the more i consider i should not have bought everything sooner. I don't mean thr PGYtech ND filter set is anything worse (I really love the PGY case). Being able to control degree of depolarization is some subtle aspects where i did know before buying and yet believed that i didnt need but now regret.
Having said, Its a very good lesson against my impulsive buying habbits LoL
2019-3-6
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Wiz33 Posted at 3-4 08:28

Nope, ND64 is used when you need to slow your shutter speed in bright daylight. Of course it offers 6 Stops of light reduction so you can use it for sunsets mostly (you will get 1sec if your current shutter speed is 1/60sec. With an ND100 / 10 Stops you will get 15sec).

Shooting at 24fps this means that at 1/2500sec you will need an ND64. That is a typical sunny midday.
2019-3-13
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 3-13 01:28
Nope, ND64 is used when you need to slow your shutter speed in bright daylight. Of course it offers 6 Stops of light reduction so you can use it for sunsets mostly (you will get 1sec if your current shutter speed is 1/60sec. With an ND100 / 10 Stops you will get 15sec).

Shooting at 24fps this means that at 1/2500sec you will need an ND64. That is a typical sunny midday.

Guess it depends a lot on how you shoot and where you shoot. I have rarely needed the ND64 shooting 4K@30 during my travel in Asia even in sunny open space but I guess if you're in snow country and gets a lot of refection from snow on a bright sunny day then you might need to use the ND64. The only time I us the ND64 was to get water motion blur on a waterfall.
2019-3-13
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Wiz33 Posted at 3-13 07:15
Guess it depends a lot on how you shoot and where you shoot. I have rarely needed the ND64 shooting 4K@30 during my travel in Asia even in sunny open space but I guess if you're in snow country and gets a lot of refection from snow on a bright sunny day then you might need to use the ND64. The only time I us the ND64 was to get water motion blur on a waterfall.

Again friend, every time your shutter speed is above 1/4000sec  (using 30fps in your case) you will need an ND64. Shooting at the very normal 24fps for a 'Cinematic' look, the shutter speed drops to 1/2500sec and that is any given & normal sunny day.
2019-3-13
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 3-13 08:13
Again friend, every time your shutter speed is above 1/4000sec  (using 30fps in your case) you will need an ND64. Shooting at the very normal 24fps for a 'Cinematic' look, the shutter speed drops to 1/2500sec and that is any given & normal sunny day.

I not saying that you won't need it but depending on your shooting environment and location. I was able to keep shutter well below 1/100 just with ND 8/16/32 most of the time during my travel in Dec/Jan in Asia. So for me the ND64 is rarely used. Then again, I'm just using the OP as a travel cam, I don't go for the perfect 180 calculation all the time since I'm not using it in a professional manner, so as long as I don't get choppy video from really high shutter speed. It's good enough for me.
2019-3-13
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Wiz33 Posted at 3-13 09:16
I not saying that you won't need it but depending on your shooting environment and location. I was able to keep shutter well below 1/100 just with ND 8/16/32 most of the time during my travel in Dec/Jan in Asia. So for me the ND64 is rarely used. Then again, I'm just using the OP as a travel cam, I don't go for the perfect 180 calculation all the time since I'm not using it in a professional manner, so as long as I don't get choppy video from really high shutter speed. It's good enough for me.

Good for you

The thing is that the OP was asking if he needs an ND64 and the answer is YES. The fact that you pulled it off doesn't mean that everyone will have those specific conditions. In a typical bright sunny day, an ND32 will not suffice.

Closing, how are you managing not to have choppy video shooting at 1/30th is a mystery to me... every time the 180 degree rule is not followed, you will get gerky footage unless your subject is totally stationary. Probably we have different standards.
2019-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules