Lost connection RTH
1259 10 2019-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans873d4367
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone experienced a situation where you were out of range or otherwise lost contact with the Drone and it returned to home on its own?  Does that actually work?
2019-3-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out. I hope you'll get the best information here from our valued DJI Members and Customers regarding there experience and there insight on this matter.Just for reference regarding the RTH. If the Remote Controller will be disconnected to the Drone then the aircraft will locate the home point as long as the GPS and compass signal is working. I would suggest flying your aircraft in an open area and avoid hazardous environment to prevent incident as well as the interruption. Please see the image below for your reference. Thank you for your support.

2019-3-2
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I've had it disconnect and come home. And I've also had the app crash and the drone returned when I couldn't re-establish a connection. Here's a vid of one time when I was testing range and the drone returned home, but ALMOST flew into a wind turbine.
2019-3-2
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes I have had it happened and it does work. One thing to keep in mind is your RTH settings. If you are flying around trees or thin obstacles make sure you have good signal strength because if you loose signal under some branches then it will want to climb to the RTH setting and could hit a branch. Also make sure the  launch area is nice and open so if it does come home it won't lower onto an obstacle either.

Another time when I lost signal i was able to gain control of it once it got closer. I was able to cancel the RTH and continue flying.
2019-3-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Bing Err Posted at 3-2 17:03
Yes, I've had it dicconnect and come home. And I've also had the app crash and the drone returned when I couldn't re-establish a connection. Here's a vid of one time when I was testing range and the drone returned home, but ALMOST flew into a wind turbine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wECbvFBxZmk

Whew, that was really to close for comfort

To the OP if your app is set to RTH in event of disconnect it will RTH but make sure the homepoint is recorded before take off/flight
2019-3-2
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Have experienced it and yes, it works. This is why it is so important to have the RTH fly altitude set correctly beforehand.
2019-3-3
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

Yes... once.  Worst and best feeling at the same time.  I sent mine up over a ridge line to have a look on the other side and the mountain wall was enough of course to make it disconnect completely.  But having the RTH on worked and it came home.  Note.... RTH can also be a nightmare.  I was getting low battery and bringing mine to land, approximately 8' from landing safely when RTH kicked on and "cancel" was not responding.... being only about 10'  from where home point was set, the "go up" to height hosed me because it tried to fly up under a small bush and snapped my gimbal ribbon cable.  I'm currently in the process of waiting for a repair resolution with official DJI repair.  
2019-3-4
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 3-2 17:03
Yes, I've had it disconnect and come home. And I've also had the app crash and the drone returned when I couldn't re-establish a connection. Here's a vid of one time when I was testing range and the drone returned home, but ALMOST flew into a wind turbine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wECbvFBxZmk

Great video. Surprised it was more affected by wake turbulence from the turbines
2019-3-5
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

yes it works perfectly in dji go and litchi. Test it on a field, be sure that your homepoint is at your location(on the map) flew away and switch off your RC.
2019-3-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

spandit Posted at 3-5 23:12
Great video. Surprised it was more affected by wake turbulence from the turbines

Well if you think about they aren't creating wind. Just moving with the wind that is there. So it should be the exact same wind without the turbines.
2019-3-6
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 3-6 04:12
Well if you think about they aren't creating wind. Just moving with the wind that is there. So it should be the exact same wind without the turbines.

That's true but they are changing the direction and speed of the wind (velocity) which must cause some turbulence in their wake

2019-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules