31242 103 2019-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

TheDon Posted at 3-6 08:08
Hey! Thank you very much and thanks for updating us with the Screen Record function ! A faster CPU would have brought the price tag even higher, maybe some upcoming software optimisations will add some extra smoothness. 2) Yep it's a nice addition, eagerly waiting for it to be available!

Yeah, good point on faster processor = higher cost...
2019-3-6
Use props
Mike Frey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4661821 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great review, thank you for posting this. Have you had any luck conducting a Facebook Live session, especially with managed pages? If so, would you please comment on how to set this up with the Smart Controller?

UPDATE: I was able to successfully conduct a Facebook Live session with the Smart Controller by using my cell phone as a personal hotspot and connecting via wifi. However, I was still unable to broadcast on any FB pages that I manage, only the personal account. - March 6, 2019
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Mike Frey Posted at 3-6 10:17
Great review, thank you for posting this. Have you had any luck conducting a Facebook Live session, especially with managed pages? If so, would you please comment on how to set this up with the Smart Controller?

Hey Mike! Sure thing, thank you! I have been thinking about a method will update the thread as soon as I’m ready with the pictures. In a couple of days.
2019-3-6
Use props
djiuser_g0KOEzSUqeMI
New

United States

Thank you. TheDon! I have a phantom3 pro and use my fatshark goggles with it. A) is there or will there be an option to use the smart controller with my P3pro and can the hdmi be used with the fatsharks? Thank you again!
2019-3-6
Use props
BLACK PARROT
lvl.2
Mexico

Someone knows if DJI Pilot app is compatible with the DJI Smart Controller, I install the app in the controller but it does not recognize my Mavic 2 Pro. The same thing happens when I install Drone Deploy.
2019-3-6
Use props
Unicks
lvl.2

Canada

BLACK PARROT Posted at 3-6 11:35
Someone knows if DJI Pilot app is compatible with the DJI Smart Controller, I install the app in the controller but it does not recognize my Mavic 2 Pro. The same thing happens when I install Drone Deploy.

The DJI Pilot app is NOT compatible with the Mavic 2 aircraft, it is only for the M2E or ENTERPRISE models. That said... it does NOT work at this time in the RM500 Smart Controller for ANYTHING, this includes all Android devices. If you have a Crapple/iOS device to run the app, you may be one of the happy clams above.

U
2019-3-6
Use props
fans50121fa4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123281 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-6 04:25
I can see from your DJI product Icons that you have a lot of experience with DJI products and we should value your opinion.

I have a Pro and a Zoom and I bought 2 smart controller one for each. I think they are a fantastic product.

My complaint also shared by many others, is that the product has been released from a false advertising campaign, and in a far from acceptable standard that commands the current price asked. If the customer base is expected to play the guinea pigs as beta testers game, then the first version costings should reflect this.

Have you ever heard of the Advertising standards Autority... Obviously not!
They have investigated the DJI adverts and agree with the complaint of false advertising and are currently taking this further. (I suppose they don't know what they are talking about either??)

The fact that you try to mock my warranted complaint is laughable considering you haven't got a clue about what you're talking about.

Why would you need to buy two smart controllers? if the smart control was capable of controlling more than one drone which is obviously a programming deficiency.

I suggest you get back to your cave
2019-3-6
Use props
fans50121fa4
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheDon Posted at 3-6 07:49
In my case and from my experience it works like a charm. I can not comment things I did not experience. I'm sure Enterprise compatibility is also in the works.

In the works...
2019-3-6
Use props
fans50121fa4
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheDon Posted at 3-6 07:49
In my case and from my experience it works like a charm. I can not comment things I did not experience. I'm sure Enterprise compatibility is also in the works.

In the works... Should this not already be a working option?

Concidering it is plastered across a global advertising campaign as already working with!
2019-3-6
Use props
Sunstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 960732 ft
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-3 09:59
Thank you for a well presented review.
A long while ago, I considered CS, but decided to buy a Samsung S9+, because of its over 1000nit screen and reliability. I admit it was a bad mistake, because screen brightness might have been brilliant, but the reflections off the curved edge glass made seeing the image worse than on my old J7 at about 750 nits. I just  use the J7 now.
Since then, the software and firmware issues for the Mavic Pro persuaded me to revert to happier times by downgrading the versions. I wonder if an earlier version of GO 4 would work on this attractive device. I also have avoided all the NFZ claptrap by downgrading. I must admit, the new gizmo looks good and it would be better than messing about with unpredictable phones.
Hi AlansDronePics

I swapped out my S9+ for the smart controller and can say that the display is a lot brighter than the S9+ is outputting.

Despite the S9+ 6.2" screen the smart controller 5.5" is weirdly bigger. It's to do with the physical screen proportions.  The very narrow / thin ( or tall) nature of the S9+ screen including the curved edges mean you lose some key viewing area.

It does feel like night and day. It helps also that as the smart controllers screen sits flush with the surface of the casing you don't have anything impeding your view as you do with the standard setup where a phone tends to sit slightly deeper within the arms that hold it.

I've been very impressed with it so far esp after a number of updates.

Throw in Litchi support and I may even do a back flip!
2019-3-6
Use props
Sunstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 960732 ft
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 3-4 09:29
I use a Note 8, also over 1000 nits. Works brilliant. It also does QuadHD (near full 4k) which the smart controller doesnt. - Furthermore the Smart Controller uses a cheap conventional LCD which is far inferior to AMOLED (Samsung) or other OLED's with far greater contrast and colour saturation. -

As I always carry a phone I really cant see the issue of combining phone and remote. Ingenious and lighter.

I have to say. Swapping my S9+ for the smart controller has made quite a large difference to me.

The S9+ despite its v bright screen just can't match the consistent brightness of the smart controller.

Its difficult to describe really as on paper it's just the difference between plugging your phone in to standard controller and having a dedicated all in one.

However in practice it brings way more to table than that.

I know the big price tag........but the thing is so good.

2019-3-6
Use props
Pedro Castelani
lvl.4

Argentina

To say the truth, its only missing a selfie camera (for pictures of your concentrated face while flying your drone) to make it a cellphone!
2019-3-7
Use props
Unicks
lvl.2

Canada

fans50121fa4 Posted at 3-6 13:41
In the works... Should this not already be a working option?

Concidering it is plastered across a global advertising campaign as already working with!

..More advertising claiming the DJI Pilot app functions with the ENTERPRISE aircraft and ANDROID together;

NOT so true.. especially if they have NEVER worked together!.. false advertising.. and I hope anyone dreaming of using DJI's NEW FlightHub software sees this.

U
2019-3-7
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Mike Frey Posted at 3-6 10:17

UPDATE: I was able to successfully conduct a Facebook Live session with the Smart Controller by using my cell phone as a personal hotspot and connecting via wifi. However, I was still unable to broadcast on any FB pages that I manage, only the personal account. - March 6, 2019

For the moment the only option is to share your personal hotspot from your mobile, unfortunately I'm also unable to stream from my managed FB pages, only from my personal account. The same happens on my iPhone X, at the choose a Page menu also my personal account appears! Hope it gets fixed.
2019-3-9
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Sunstone Posted at 3-6 21:34
Hi AlansDronePics

I swapped out my S9+ for the smart controller and can say that the display is a lot brighter than the S9+ is outputting.

Its for sure a great device and the screen just can't be compared with any other smartphone out there at the moment.
2019-3-9
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

djiuser_g0KOEzSUqeMI Posted at 3-6 11:02
Thank you. TheDon! I have a phantom3 pro and use my fatshark goggles with it. A) is there or will there be an option to use the smart controller with my P3pro and can the hdmi be used with the fatsharks? Thank you again!

My pleasure! a) The smart controller works only with the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom.  HDMI output should work for any kind of picture output.
2019-3-9
Use props
victorgo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483379 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Just bringing points that you mentioned in your review. The only difference is like you mentioned in your reply. It is more compact. But the restriction that comes with it is also more. 1) When battery is flat, your controller and screen can’t be used, while CS can just swap batteries. 2) CS is compatible with all DJI drones but this smart controller works with only Mavic 2. For professionals who has multiple drones, it is stupid to invest in the smart controller over the CS.
2019-3-10
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

victorgo Posted at 3-10 01:20
Just bringing points that you mentioned in your review. The only difference is like you mentioned in your reply. It is more compact. But the restriction that comes with it is also more. 1) When battery is flat, your controller and screen can’t be used, while CS can just swap batteries. 2) CS is compatible with all DJI drones but this smart controller works with only Mavic 2. For professionals who has multiple drones, it is stupid to invest in the smart controller over the CS.

For those who own Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom Smart Controller is the best choice. Although CS is a great device I’m sure that its hardware is weaker than the Smart Controllers. Have you tried h.265 4K footage shot with the Mavic 2, as I heard CS is unable to deal with it...
2019-3-10
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Been flying DJI products for many years now, have a crystal sky i use on my P4P, but this new smart controller is one of the best products I’ve bought.
2019-3-10
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

AnzacJack Posted at 3-10 03:40
Been flying DJI products for many years now, have a crystal sky i use on my P4P, but this new smart controller is one of the best products I’ve bought.

Happy to hear that you are also  satisfied with it ! ;)
2019-3-10
Use props
victorgo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483379 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Have been shooting H265 HEVC on CS with no issue. Using CS with inspire 2 as well.
2019-3-11
Use props
Martyfilm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1159688 ft
Canada

Hello!  Thanks for the in depth review.  There has been something that has been buggy with my unit.  Has anyone had an issue with the Magic 2 Smart controller and freezing? It seems to happen when I load the Micro SD card into the controller itself. The photo I've attached is a prompt that populates from time to time but it's always random and only if a micro sd is inserted. Otherwise the controller seems to be working fine.  Any insight would be appreciated!  
2019-3-11
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Martyfilm Posted at 3-11 21:40
Hello!  Thanks for the in depth review.  There has been something that has been buggy with my unit.  Has anyone had an issue with the Magic 2 Smart controller and freezing? It seems to happen when I load the Micro SD card into the controller itself. The photo I've attached is a prompt that populates from time to time but it's always random and only if a micro sd is inserted. Otherwise the controller seems to be working fine.  Any insight would be appreciated!  [view_image]

Hey Marty! Thank you! Have you installed the latest software update? Your Micro SD card can also cause the problem. Have you tried formatting it? I would also try with another card.
2019-3-11
Use props
Martyfilm
lvl.2
Canada

Tried all of the above. and it's the newest firmware.  The cards used was a lear 32gb and the new 2x Sandisk 64gb ones. All class 10 plus.  
2019-3-11
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Martyfilm Posted at 3-11 22:13
Tried all of the above. and it's the newest firmware.  The cards used was a lear 32gb and the new 2x Sandisk 64gb ones. All class 10 plus.

Hmm... I would also try a factory reset for the controller !
2019-3-11
Use props
Martyfilm
lvl.2
Canada

...also tried.
2019-3-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice review, thanks for sharing!
Great job!
2019-3-12
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
United States

Thanks! Very insightful info !!!
2019-3-12
Use props
Skyworrior
New

United States

Hi DJI pros I own your last latest gagit which the phantom pro 3 series I was hoping to read that your new  innovative controller would be  adaptable to my toy but the more I read on about the new controller I’m guessing my toy is  obsolete  To any new device that you’re team would introduce on the market. I really don’t want to go and just buy the latest drone just to keep up with today’s technology if I had the money too I would love to invest but being a tech toy guy I love the  gadget gadget world but it’s not affordable for me but hopefully one day I would be able to afford it n by then sometime else new will be out then lol
2019-3-14
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For those that prefer their crystal sky’s, all good and well. Yep you can swap out batteries but the controller still needs to be charged more often than the smart controller. The new controller is expensive, and not for everyone, especially if you already invested in a crystal sky. But I really think you should play with both before being to firm on your opinions. I’ve been playing in the RPAS field for over 20 years, and moving from old field monitors used with airborne modems, through more refined monitors and video Rx/tx, to iPads and smartphones to the crystal sky (I have the 7.85) and now to the smart controller, I feel that I can make the claim that the smart controller is superior for what I do. Sure it isnot working on non occusinc 2 craft, but the crystal sky doesn’t work with many of my older drones, and iPad doesn’t work on older drones still. If you want to keep operating older gen craft, nothing wrong with that but it is a bit much to complain that latest tech is not compatible. To do what I do now with my mav 2 and smartcontroller  all packed into the DJI hard case with 4 batteries/ filters and some other accessories, I used to have to drive with a van full of equipment just a decade ago.
The smart controller is great product that works well, and I love having it as part of my kit
2019-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant and very comprehensive review Don - good work
2019-3-16
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Hey Marty! Did you resolve the problem? Do you have any other third party apps installed?
2019-3-16
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

jacksonnai Posted at 3-12 17:43
Nice review, thanks for sharing!
Great job!

Thank you very much Jackson!
2019-3-16
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

ygor Posted at 3-12 19:18
Thanks! Very insightful info !!!

My pleasure Ygor!
2019-3-16
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Skyworrior Posted at 3-14 10:52
Hi DJI pros I own your last latest gagit which the phantom pro 3 series I was hoping to read that your new  innovative controller would be  adaptable to my toy but the more I read on about the new controller I’m guessing my toy is  obsolete  To any new device that you’re team would introduce on the market. I really don’t want to go and just buy the latest drone just to keep up with today’s technology if I had the money too I would love to invest but being a tech toy guy I love the  gadget gadget world but it’s not affordable for me but hopefully one day I would be able to afford it n by then sometime else new will be out then lol

Wish you the best!
2019-3-16
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

A CW Posted at 3-16 01:09
Brilliant and very comprehensive review Don - good work

Thank you A CW ! ;)
2019-3-16
Use props
TheDon
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

AnzacJack Posted at 3-16 00:54
For those that prefer their crystal sky’s, all good and well. Yep you can swap out batteries but the controller still needs to be charged more often than the smart controller. The new controller is expensive, and not for everyone, especially if you already invested in a crystal sky. But I really think you should play with both before being to firm on your opinions. I’ve been playing in the RPAS field for over 20 years, and moving from old field monitors used with airborne modems, through more refined monitors and video Rx/tx, to iPads and smartphones to the crystal sky (I have the 7.85) and now to the smart controller, I feel that I can make the claim that the smart controller is superior for what I do. Sure it isnot working on non occusinc 2 craft, but the crystal sky doesn’t work with many of my older drones, and iPad doesn’t work on older drones still. If you want to keep operating older gen craft, nothing wrong with that but it is a bit much to complain that latest tech is not compatible. To do what I do now with my mav 2 and smartcontroller  all packed into the DJI hard case with 4 batteries/ filters and some other accessories, I used to have to drive with a van full of equipment just a decade ago.
The smart controller is great product that works well, and I love having it as part of my kit

Hi Jack! Thank you for your comment, happy to see you own both devices, and can give us a clear idea about which one suits us better.
2019-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheDon Posted at 3-16 04:00
Thank you A CW ! ;)

You're very welcome
2019-3-16
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

That is the best review of the SC I've seen so far! Thanks!!
2019-3-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

TheDon Posted at 3-16 03:58
Thank you very much Jackson!

You're welcome
2019-3-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced