What can be worst if gimbal clamp is not removed when turn on the P2V+
20804 41 2014-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tobarus
lvl.1

Qatar

dmctom@gmail.co Posted at 2015-4-2 16:46
I'd like to ask if anyone has actually damaged their gimbal by leaving the clamp on. I've seen a lot of talk about it burning out and a lot of warnings but I have never heard/read a first hand experience where a gimbal was actually damaged.
I ask about first hand experience because to me it seems more like an urban myth that actual fact. For a brushed motor I can see this being a potential problem... locked shaft, high current on the brushes and damage is possible but in the case of brushless motors it is unlikely. Oh, and actually it makes no difference if the gimbal is locked or not, it still uses about the same amount of current and has about the same cooling. With the clamp removed the gimbal holds the camera in one position so it's not like it's completely off.
I believe that the warning to remove the gimbal lock and the screen pop up is just to make sure you get good quality video. Otherwise the gimbal simply doesn't work, there is no stabilization and the video will be of very low quality.

Good points indeed.  While I'm not sure I can agree with this 100%, with my limited engineering knowledge, what you said makes perfect sense.

Maybe this is why they didn't make the gimbal clamp red in color?  In addition, I'm certain DJI assumed people would forget the gimbal clamp on.  Is it entirely realistic that they gimbal would be destroyed if it was operated with the clamp on? ..I think maybe not...
2017-3-7
Use props
Louis Hobson
New
Flight distance : 90650 ft
United Kingdom

Tobarus Posted at 2017-3-7 10:19
Good points indeed.  While I'm not sure I can agree with this 100%, with my limited engineering knowledge, what you said makes perfect sense.

Maybe this is why they didn't make the gimbal clamp red in color?  In addition, I'm certain DJI assumed people would forget the gimbal clamp on.  Is it entirely realistic that they gimbal would be destroyed if it was operated with the clamp on? ..I think maybe not...

I think that although DJI will have covered the basis of people forgetting, it won't get in harms way just to remember to take it off each flight to be sure, and getting into the habit of remembering. However if you have left it on several times I don't think it would be anything to worry about, given the current quality on DJI products, but as said before if you just remember to take it off in the first place it negates the problem entirely.

Hope this helps!
2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules