1311 6 2019-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_mr01nY45iKii
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44327 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Hi!! I think seriously to add the mavic 2 zoom to my dnie DRONE collection. But I'm very interested in avoiding obstacles to work reliably and not to fear not colliding the drone as I'm afraid now with the Spark and the mavic pro I already have. Will the sensors correctly detect the obstacles or it is better to buy the phantom 4 pro that as some say they are very happy with the obstacle avoidance system; I'm not interested in both the size and resolution of the camera as well as the avoidance of obstacles.
2019-3-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Mavic 2 series sensing system is Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing. Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing includes left/right, up/down, and forward/backward obstacle sense. Sensing for left/right directions is only available in ActiveTrack, POI, QuickShot and Tripod mode. Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing does not fully cover the circumference of a 360-degree arc. And left and right obstacle sensing system only works in specific modes and environments. DJI warranty does not cover any loss caused by crashing when flying left or right, even when ActiveTrack or Tripod mode is activated. Please be aware of your surroundings and App notifications when operating the Mavic 2 to ensure safety. These are the scenario when will he obstacle avoidance function of Mavic 2 not work. Please refer to the details below.

*Flying toward small objects with the width less than 0.2 m or its size less than 0.25 square meters (e.g. power line)
* Flying in a strong light. The aircraft may break when flying toward the sun
*Fly the aircraft over surfaces without clear patterns or with identical repeating patterns or textures (e.g. monochrome surfaces, white wall, and tiling)
*Flying over a reflective surface (e.g. glass and mirror)
*Flying to thin objects (e.g. leaves, and branches)
2019-3-6
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

There are loads of videos on You Tube showing people testing the obstacle avoidance to it's limits.  Just type in something like 'Mavic 2 obstacle avoidance'.
In my experience it is pretty damn good, and wonderful if you are a newbie like me.

But let's be clear that it does not make the drone un-crashable.  The side sensors only work in Tripod mode, so if you are flying in another mode it's possible to move sideways into an obstacle (e.g. when using programmed quickshots like circle and helix).
It also won't detect things like power lines, and it doesn't work in the dark :-)
2019-3-6
Use props
djiuser_mr01nY45iKii
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44327 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Thanks for your answers and your help!
2019-3-6
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Sensors are no substitute to surveying your intended flying area first.

Even then there is always a risk of collision as almost happened to me when doing a radio tower shot  recently.

org_660dd8e5e690fbf2_1550923220000-02.jpeg
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I know for sure, does not see power lines.....  good news ; no interference on my MA !

cheers
JJB
HighTension.png
2019-3-7
Use props
Robnoxious
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229367 ft
United States

Love that power line shot
2019-3-8
Use props