DJI Mavic 2 Pro Malfunction & CRASHED after the latest update.
12Next >
1501 40 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TZW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 200226 ft
Switzerland

2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

titel is misleading...  correlation & causality are not the same
2019-3-7
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

So what happened? Did you take off while heaving no GPS signal?
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

saviour Posted at 3-7 06:01
So what happened? Did you take off while heaving no GPS signal?

Yes I took off in ATTI mode during the night, but I didn't press anything it lost control and flew toward one direction and I cannot stop it. Then it hit a tree, this is scary, My last flight was two weeks ago, then I updated the system and put a new ND filter on.
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

JJB* Posted at 3-7 06:00
titel is misleading...  correlation & causality are not the same

Well, I don't know, the differences from my last flight is the updated system and a ND filter..
2019-3-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

TZW Posted at 3-7 06:08
Yes I took off in ATTI mode during the night, but I didn't press anything it lost control and flew toward one direction and I cannot stop it. Then it hit a tree, this is scary, My last flight was two weeks ago, then I updated the system and put a new ND filter on.

After last update, did you perform calibrations, as DJI suggests?

Did you take off from same spot as previous ATTI night flight?

Taking off at night in ATTI mode, previous flight and crashed flight, might come down to being lucky previous flight.
2019-3-7
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Well, taking off in ATTI mode and then not doing anything - no wonder it crashed. Pretty sure it's a pilot error.

EDIT: Now I also realised you took off during the night... Hard lesson learned but that's your fault a 100%. How would the drone stabilize itself in ATTI mode AND during night? Of course it went down and crashed...
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

saviour Posted at 3-7 06:21
Well, taking off in ATTI mode and then not doing anything - no wonder it crashed. Pretty sure it's a pilot error.

EDIT: Now I also realised you took off during the night... Hard lesson learned but that's your fault a 100%. How would the drone stabilize itself in ATTI mode AND during night? Of course it went down and crashed...

ATTI mode is not stabilized at all, so day or night doesn`t matter. Only height is 'stabilized' ; height info from the barometric sensor. With daylight and good reference OPTI will be there; a stabilized mode.

But ofcourse its more difficult to fly at night in ATTI than with daylight.
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

TZW Posted at 3-7 06:10
Well, I don't know, the differences from my last flight is the updated system and a ND filter..

oke, if your last flight before the update was also at night in ATTI and it was a succesfull flight....
Mayby the ND filter....
ATTI mode at Night is asking for a disaster, well that is my 2 cents.

But if you like post your flightlog on here, mayby more info in that to really know what happend.
use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheersJJB

2019-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-7 06:08
Yes I took off in ATTI mode during the night, but I didn't press anything it lost control and flew toward one direction and I cannot stop it. Then it hit a tree, this is scary, My last flight was two weeks ago, then I updated the system and put a new ND filter on.

Unfortunately that’s what happens in Atti mode, height will remain, but all other movements are both free and user initiated.
Chalk it down to experience and move on .
2019-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-7 06:10

You don’t use ND filter at night, your last flight was fine, this flight was very simple to diagnose, you took off without gps at night opti vision will not work well in dark situations so your craft went into Atti mode, once you took off Aircraft will move freely unless you can manage to manually control it.

You didn’t have compass problems so your launchground was fine , No Gps and user trying to fly without gps caused your crash .
It’s brutal but it’s true, hopefully your craft is not to badly damaged .
Good luck
2019-3-7
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Pilot error, if you new to this and not experienced with flying in atti mode you should not chance flying with no sats. a very expensive lesson to be learnt
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the mishap that happens on your aircraft. We highly recommend syncing your flight records and contact our support using the link below for your reference. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-7 06:18
After last update, did you perform calibrations, as DJI suggests?

Did you take off from same spot as previous ATTI night flight?

Yes I did calibrations, previous flight wasn't ATTI mode, but I shouldn't lose the control of it at ATTI mode right?
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

saviour Posted at 3-7 06:21

I mean I didn't press anything at first, and it started drifted away, then of course I tried to control it, but the craft got no response...
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

JJB* Posted at 3-7 06:59
oke, if your last flight before the update was also at night in ATTI and it was a succesfull flight....
Mayby the ND filter....
ATTI mode at Night is asking for a disaster, well that is my 2 cents.

Thanks I will upload it later. Now I know the drift was because of the ATTI mode at night, but it couldn't explain why I cannot control it, there is no response..
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 07:12
You don’t use ND filter at night, your last flight was fine, this flight was very simple to diagnose, you took off without gps at night opti vision will not work well in dark situations so your craft went into Atti mode, once you took off Aircraft will move freely unless you can manage to manually control it.

You didn’t have compass problems so your launchground was fine , No Gps and user trying to fly without gps caused your crash .

I need the ND filter at night for long exposure pics. I tried to control it but my controls didn't work, I mean there is no response.
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI Tony Posted at 3-7 10:27
Hi, we're sorry for the mishap that happens on your aircraft. We highly recommend syncing your flight records and contact our support using the link below for your reference. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.

www.dji.com/support

I did, but the process is complicated and the customer service is pretty slow...
2019-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-7 16:13
I need the ND filter at night for long exposure pics. I tried to control it but my controls didn't work, I mean there is no response.

I can shoot very low shutter speeds at night time without ND filters.

However ND filter was not your problem .

Most people say this we couldn’t control it, and this is partly right, but when closer examination of the logs can show all stick movements and reaction of craft to those movements.

In Atti mode to control your craft all stick movements must be made with 100% commitment you need extremely fast reflex reactions and most of all you need experience you also need to be flying in a very open area, and your first move should always be to land immediately, so one movement 100% down left stick.

You could upload your flight log it may offer a clearer picture of what happened.

Here’s the link just follow instructions and come back here post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DRP16ZBZOLF0VK1LL8T
2019-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-7 16:13

Most people say this we couldn’t control it, and this is partly right, but when closer examination of the logs can show all stick movements and reaction of craft to those movements.

In Atti mode to control your craft all stick movements must be made with 100% commitment you need extremely fast reflex reactions and most of all you need experience you also need to be flying in a very open area, and your first move should always be to land immediately, so one movement 100% down left stick.

You could upload your flight log it may offer a clearer picture of what happened.

Here’s the link just follow instructions and come back here post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/4DRP16ZBZOLF0VK1LL8T
2019-3-7
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 16:22

If you use longer shutter speeds you might use ND filters. Anyways, I just got my ND filters and I meant to do a quick test.

I uploaded the log:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OVQ7LOYSJ7KWJEJJ537B/
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

TZW Posted at 3-7 17:54
If you use longer shutter speeds you might use ND filters. Anyways, I just got my ND filters and I meant to do a quick test.

I uploaded the log:

Hi,

After take-off in ATTI mode the pitch and roll angles almost flat, nice OK values.
After 11 seconds.....high pitch and roll angles, imo not due to much RC inputs.130 degree roll is not what RC input normally does....

Warning "Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit" and more to follow.
Warnings for 3 motors, obstructed and ofcourse NotEnoughPower errors.
Heading not steady at all, looks like 3 motors did not do what they shoud do!

So your MP2 was out of control for some reason, and not because of piloting errors.
Ofcourse IMO not wise to start flying in the dark in ATTI mode, but that`s a other 'discussion'.

PS what was your take-off spot?  a balcony ? up a hill?
cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
analysis4.png
2019-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-7 17:54

I uploaded the log:

I think looking at your log your craft responded to stick movements, this can be seen as you raise craft, you were trying to continue to raise craft @ 16ft , but it is programmed to not go above 16ft in when you take off in Atti mode, it looks like pretty soon after this your craft took off and crashed , and motor warnings and compass warnings are a direct result of craft crashing, you can see in your log changes in altitude measurements as the bottom of your craft is no longer facing the ground, when this occurs we see more and more motor obstruction warnings, these warnings almost always come when craft has crashed, I’m guessing here because no pictures that a tree was involved , so craft may well be moving around in the tree after crash.

I could be wrong and it could be a malfunction of the craft only dji can confirm this .
Good luck.
2019-3-8
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

JJB* Posted at 3-8 00:06
Hi,

After take-off in ATTI mode the pitch and roll angles almost flat, nice OK values.

Hi JJB,

Thank you for your help! I took off from a flat and wide area, I will send my mp2 to DJI for further diagnose.
2019-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 03:45
I think looking at your log your craft responded to stick movements, this can be seen as you raise craft, you were trying to continue to raise craft @ 16ft , but it is programmed to not go above 16ft in when you take off in Atti mode, it looks like pretty soon after this your craft took off and crashed , and motor warnings and compass warnings are a direct result of craft crashing, you can see in your log changes in altitude measurements as the bottom of your craft is no longer facing the ground, when this occurs we see more and more motor obstruction warnings, these warnings almost always come when craft has crashed, I’m guessing here because no pictures that a tree was involved , so craft may well be moving around in the tree after crash.

I could be wrong and it could be a malfunction of the craft only dji can confirm this .

Agree with you if there was a tree or something else was involved in his flight.
OP did not say much about this flight....

But, OP increased height to the ATTI height limit, lowered again and than the high pitch and roll angles were there....so if the go up and down movement was at one spot, no tree i guess....

But it it hit something, yes than ofcourse all the motor errors etc because of a crash.

Maby the OP can tell us what really happend.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

TZW Posted at 3-8 03:54
Hi JJB,

Thank you for your help! I took off from a flat and wide area, I will send my mp2 to DJI for further diagnose.

Hi TZW,

Ok, so no tree or any other object encouter.

Hope DJI can explain more.

The barometric height data is also weird, if you took off from a flat open area, why is the height dropping to minus 17.6 meter??  

Keep us informed what the DJI outcome is

cheers
JJB
2019-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-8 03:55
Agree with you if there was a tree or something else was involved in his flight.
OP did not say much about this flight....

Post number 4, I hadn’t read until now, there is nearly always obstruction involved when we see motor obstruction, I think if there is a problem with motors being obstructed it would show on the ground.
Although many will look at logs and think motor obstruction caused the crash , it nearly always crash causes motor obstruction.
It’s a lot easier when you have gps and you can see pictures of launch site.

I have seen dji offer warranty in the past for similar, but flying at night in Atti mode, pilot must accept some responsibility.
2019-3-8
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

JJB* Posted at 3-8 04:03
Hi TZW,

Ok, so no tree or any other object encouter.

Sorry I didn't make that clear, there are some trees, what I mean was the take-off area is wide enough to not hitting trees...So basically it took off and drifted toward one direction without my control, at the time I cannot correct it, there was no response. Someone told me I have to change it to sport mode but this design doesn't make sense. Then it hit the tree which caused the motor obstruction, it fell down to the ground upside-down, maybe this explains the wrong height data.
2019-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

TZW Posted at 3-8 07:22
Sorry I didn't make that clear, there are some trees, what I mean was the take-off area is wide enough to not hitting trees...So basically it took off and drifted toward one direction without my control, at the time I cannot correct it, there was no response. Someone told me I have to change it to sport mode but this design doesn't make sense. Then it hit the tree which caused the motor obstruction, it fell down to the ground upside-down, maybe this explains the wrong height data.

hi,

oke, with this information is clear waht happend.

Take-off, flat pitch and roll angels, wind made the drone drift away....finally crashed in a tree.
Hard lesson not the fly at night in ATTI.

cheers
JJB

2019-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-8 07:22
Sorry I didn't make that clear, there are some trees, what I mean was the take-off area is wide enough to not hitting trees...So basically it took off and drifted toward one direction without my control, at the time I cannot correct it, there was no response. Someone told me I have to change it to sport mode but this design doesn't make sense. Then it hit the tree which caused the motor obstruction, it fell down to the ground upside-down, maybe this explains the wrong height data.

Changing to sport mode won’t make any difference, really if you could think when it’s happening is to pull left stick 100% down and hold until craft hits the ground, you may do some damage, but it would stop it from flying away, “obviously not the move if over water”

See what dji come up with, it can sometimes be hard to work what they are going to do, so fingers crossed.
Good luck .
2019-3-8
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

JJB* Posted at 3-8 08:08
hi,

oke, with this information is clear waht happend.

Thanks, do you know how much does this cost? The drone is working fine now actually.
2019-3-8
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 09:32
Changing to sport mode won’t make any difference, really if you could think when it’s happening is to pull left stick 100% down and hold until craft hits the ground, you may do some damage, but it would stop it from flying away, “obviously not the move if over water”

See what dji come up with, it can sometimes be hard to work what they are going to do, so fingers crossed.

Thanks, are you implying DJI might charge a lot for repairing this?
2019-3-8
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

TZW Posted at 3-8 12:09

You can get a rough idea of the prices you can expect to pay for parts by looking at the following site:

https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
2019-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-8 12:09

I honestly couldn’t say because I don’t know.

What I have said is I have seen warranty offered in similar situations, but don’t depend on it, depending on damage to craft, if your camera or gimbal are broke or damaged , this will set you back a few quid, unless you get warranty.
2019-3-8
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 12:36
I honestly couldn’t say because I don’t know.

What I have said is I have seen warranty offered in similar situations, but don’t depend on it, depending on damage to craft, if your camera or gimbal are broke or damaged , this will set you back a few quid, unless you get warranty.

Thank you, I checked it will be around 50 bucks.
2019-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TZW Posted at 3-9 03:12
Thank you, I checked it will be around 50 bucks.

Result........ good luck .
2019-3-9
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

All you can do is buy another mavic and never try that again, ever....
2019-3-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

TZW Posted at 3-7 16:14
I did, but the process is complicated and the customer service is pretty slow...

Hi, thanks for the prompt. We're glad that you've managed to contact our support. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-10
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

I got the result as following:

1.The aircraft worked in ATTI mode due to no gps signal;
2.In ATTI mode, the aircraft could not hover in place, brake and avoid obstacle automatically;
3.t=84.5s,h=2.8m,the aircraft crashed, before the crash the pilot pushed roll stick to the right.
2019-3-27
Use props
TZW
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI Tony Posted at 3-10 08:38
Hi, thanks for the prompt. We're glad that you've managed to contact our support. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.

Hi Tony, now the DJI repair team force me to change the Gimbal Axis Arm Module (Pro) due to a little scratch, what should I do?
2019-3-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules