Best Smooth Track Settings
38838 26 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

After many hours of testing I finally have the Smooth Track Settings that will work for the type of work that I do. I film music videos, weddings, real estate property tours, etc. I thought I would share my settings in case they can help someone else. None of the settings that I tried from YouTube worked for me, mainly because my Ronin S frequently gets off center and will not return to center without double tapping the trigger. DJI Mindy states that this will be addressed soon in a firmware release so in the meantime I spent hours trying to find the best settings that would let me work around the issue until it is fixed.
The tilt settings eliminate a lot of the up and down movement when walking but still let me tilt when needed and the pan settings keep it from swinging too far from side to side without being able to slowly correct it without it being obvious. Once the firmware fix is out hopefully it will just return to center on its own.

59756866-431F-493E-A435-8BC8221D18DF.png
A2D36564-B32E-4C3A-AD03-BA0E56979F66.png
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Stanley, thanks for sharing your settings, the gimbal may not return to center in follow mode because of the Deadband, the current workaround is to decrease the Deadband as much as you can and then increase the Sensitivity and the Speed value or try the Sports mode. We will optimize in the future firmware if you are concerned about it. Thanks for your support.
2019-3-7
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you. These are similar to the settings I use because the Ronin S doesn't return to center.
2019-3-8
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-7 23:58
Hi Stanley, thanks for sharing your settings, the gimbal may not return to center in follow mode because of the Deadband, the current workaround is to decrease the Deadband as much as you can and then increase the Sensitivity and the Speed value or try the Sports mode. We will optimize in the future firmware if you are concerned about it. Thanks for your support.

I had been using Deadband set to 0, but it was too sensitive, panning was not smooth, and when walking there was a slight up and down movement no matter how carefully I walked. With Deadband at 4 I can make very slight corrections which are not obvious and pans and tilts are smoother.

I also tried turning Smooth Track off for the Tilt axis but then only the joystick would make it tilt and it is hard to do complex movements with the joystick so I found these settings work best for me until the new firmware is out.
2019-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Stanley James Posted at 3-8 18:40
I had been using Deadband set to 0, but it was too sensitive, panning was not smooth, and when walking there was a slight up and down movement no matter how carefully I walked. With Deadband at 4 I can make very slight corrections which are not obvious and pans and tilts are smoother.

I also tried turning Smooth Track off for the Tilt axis but then only the joystick would make it tilt and it is hard to do complex movements with the joystick so I found these settings work best for me until the new firmware is out.

Thanks for your clarification, I believe it will help a lot of users to get a more stabilized shooting experience.
2019-3-9
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Stanley James Posted at 3-8 18:40

I also tried turning Smooth Track off for the Tilt axis but then only the joystick would make it tilt and it is hard to do complex movements with the joystick so I found these settings work best for me until the new firmware is out.

"when walking there was a slight up and down movement no matter how carefully I walked"
The gimbal will not / cannot correct Z-axis movement. Only 'Ninja-walk' can help you there..

I found even 'Deadband=0' not being dead enough for my liking.. With my setup, I can still rotate the gimbal a few degrees without resulting in a camera movement. Hence I always see the gimbal having issues starting a smooth move from a rested / static position, when you add rotation of the handle, even with very low  Speed (I use SPEED=5) and Sensitivity ~25. Deadband =4 makes the movemement more sluggish and unresposive IMO, especially when you want to do 'satellite rotation' around an object etc. I already have motor power on High in the hope this would help responsiveness with the load (A7iii/Tamron 24/75) What are the rest of your settings like?  
2019-3-9
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

AVsupport Posted at 3-9 16:26
"when walking there was a slight up and down movement no matter how carefully I walked"
The gimbal will not / cannot correct Z-axis movement. Only 'Ninja-walk' can help you there..

I have been using the Glidecam for years and then used the Crane before the Ronin S came out so I am pretty familiar with getting smooth footage with gimbals, but with the Deadband set to 0 no matter how I walked it just wouldn't give me the same footage I could get with the Glidecam or Crane until I switched to Deadband 4 or Smooth Track off on the tilt axis. Deadband 4 for me is the sweet spot that makes the Ronin unresponsive enough on the tilt axis to make the Ninja walk work yet still lets me tilt up and down without using the joystick. At 0 even the Ninja walk was not helping.

The only other setting I use is Medium for the Autotune and Smooth Track off for the Roll axis. I gave up on the Joystick, it is next to impossible to hold the gimbal and maneuver the joystick smoothly.  

For "satellite rotation" the official name for the movement is orbit; for orbits I use a wider lens, shoot the shot at 60FPS and slow it down in post; even then I cannot get a smooth full orbit; I have no problem getting a cinematic orbit with the Crane or the Glidecam so I'm hoping the new firmware will help with that.

In the meantime to get some useable orbit footage I enter the orbit and let the Ronin drift to the left or right edge of the deadband put extra care into ensuring that the handle does not rotate at all. This usually gives me at least 20 or 30 degrees of useable footage which is the 2-3 seconds worth that I need for post processing.

These settings are with the Ronin S paired with a GH5. They may not work as well for a heavier or lighter camera.

AVsupport I think your sensitivity settings are too low; that is why it seems so sluggish. I turned mine all the way to 100 because that seems to be what is needed to counteract the deadband settings. If you turn up the sensitivity, then give it a little deadband, it will smooth out slight twitches of the handle (from walking for example) but since the sensitivity is high you can slowly correct the drifting without it being obvious. If you set the deadband to 0 it will not drift, but even the slightest turn of the handle makes it start panning or tilting which is why I added back 4 for deadband. I'm really hoping the firmware will add a setting called return to center with a configurable parameter for speed. That would fix everything and make the Ronin S work like every other gimbal out there.

2019-3-9
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Stanley James Posted at 3-9 19:42
I have been using the Glidecam for years and then used the Crane before the Ronin S came out so I am pretty familiar with getting smooth footage with gimbals, but with the Deadband set to 0 no matter how I walked it just wouldn't give me the same footage I could get with the Glidecam or Crane until I switched to Deadband 4 or Smooth Track off on the tilt axis. Deadband 4 for me is the sweet spot that makes the Ronin unresponsive enough on the tilt axis to make the Ninja walk work yet still lets me tilt up and down without using the joystick. At 0 even the Ninja walk was not helping.

The only other setting I use is Medium for the Autotune and Smooth Track off for the Roll axis. I gave up on the Joystick, it is next to impossible to hold the gimbal and maneuver the joystick smoothly.  

Thanks for your helpful hints Stanley. It pretty much confirms some of my 'fears' I've been having, especially for the Orbit! I earlier on had Sensitivity at 100 but moved away from it again, as it didn't gel with my desired handling, stacking up speed too much, making it 'counter-smooth'. Also experimented with motor stiffness etc, but no great outcomes either. I shall give your parameters another go though, thanks! /edit: and Yes, Gimbal not returning back to Zero is probably an issue that is related to this behaviour

PS, just checked my settings.. when I use smoothtrack on pan& tilt, my TILT Does have Deadband=10, (Speed=20, Sensitivity=35), whereas my PAN does not.
2019-3-9
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

add: have upped STIFFNESS and POWER to ~50 on the Pan axis which seems to slightly improve responsiveness for orbits (my payload is relatively high..A7iii+cage+Tamron 24-75)
add: Autotune doesn't affect STRENGTH/FILTER/CONTROL. but seemingly it will reset those parameters to default. So if you change PAN POWER to 50 and do a retune, next time it will be at 10 again.

2019-3-13
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-7 23:58

I'd like to see a 'return to center' option added in a future firmware update.
2019-10-16
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>

I'm curious if you noticed a difference with the new firmware.
2019-10-16
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

sky_makai Posted at 10-16 14:14
I'm curious if you noticed a difference with the new firmware.

I have not updated to the new firmware, I checked the release notes and they did not mention anything about returning to center and I have the Ronin S in a somewhat usable state so I do not want to risk new firmware until return to center is explicitly called out in the notes or members here report that the behavior has improved.

It has been my experience that firmware these days typically add features you don't need and introduce new bugs that you don't want.
2019-10-21
Use props
djiuser_UoUqnhASxkAX
New
Denmark

sky_makai Posted at 10-16 13:12
I'd like to see a 'return to center' option added in a future firmware update.

Where it would automatically return?

1+ for that feature! Would be awesome!
2019-11-12
Use props
user6422f65964
New

United Kingdom

Has the Ronin app changed. Mine is not looking like others on videos I see
2019-12-7
Use props
Rasmin6
New

Portugal

In my Dji Ronin S app, i do not have all the menus .
Example : I want to change smooth trak but in my app dont have that part.
I saw very menus in tutorials but in my app dont appear.
Anyone knows the problem?
2019-12-9
Use props
djiuser_Bn9dhPRr5rlx
New
United States

Rasmin6 Posted at 12-9 02:59

I have this same problem. I recently switched to iPhone and the app is totally different. There is no Smooth Track anymore. I can’t figure out how to change the joystick parameters.
2019-12-19
Use props
WALGA
lvl.1

Australia

Same!!!! I have Stiffness/Strength/Filter/Control in Motor Parameters

In User profiles I have Speed Deadband Pan Tilt roll sensitivity push pan
Can someone tell me settings to get smooth footage with all these settings as my footage is still a bit jumpy when walking in flashlight mode.
2019-12-19
Use props
Phil_I
lvl.1

Australia

WALGA Posted at 12-19 17:35
Same!!!! I have Stiffness/Strength/Filter/Control in Motor Parameters

In User profiles I have Speed Deadband Pan Tilt roll sensitivity push pan

My App version is Ronin V 1.2.7 (2072). As with others I don't have the menus that are shown here. I have tried to translate and my settings are as follows. Note: there doesn't seem to be the option to set the Pan, Tilt and Roll values for each of the parameters. Also, I don't know how to set actual values (between 0-100).

Under User Profiles

M1                           M2                           M3

Speed              Medium                   Medium                      High
Deadpan         Low                           Low                             Low
Sensitivity       High                           Medium                     High

Push Mode     push pan                 push pan/tilt              off

I have hopefully set M1 for smooth walking, especially in underslung mode where vertical movement is most noticeable. M2 to be more responsive and M3 for the continuous rotation in flashlight mode.
2019-12-22
Use props
AngelaMary
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Rasmin6 Posted at 12-9 02:59

Turn on Pan and Tilt follow in your custom profiles (or one of the other choices).  Yes the app must have changed since all the tutorials came out.
2019-12-27
Use props
wasimshahzad
lvl.1
Australia

Phil_I Posted at 2019-12-22 17:02
My App version is Ronin V 1.2.7 (2072). As with others I don't have the menus that are shown here. I have tried to translate and my settings are as follows. Note: there doesn't seem to be the option to set the Pan, Tilt and Roll values for each of the parameters. Also, I don't know how to set actual values (between 0-100).

Under User Profiles

it works for me .... but i have an issue.... my camera is panning while i walked ...any help please
2020-2-28
Use props
Jakebake
lvl.1

United States

I just got the ronin s and its definitely harder to use than I thought. To make  it worse the app is completly different than any tutorials even ones on DJI own site. DOes anyone have recommended settings to try with the new app???
2020-3-7
Use props
djiuser_MMvSu4Tuhvak
New

United States

My app does not have smooth track, the app shown is not the same as my Ronin S
2020-6-8
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MMvSu4Tuhvak Posted at 6-8 16:00
My app does not have smooth track, the app shown is not the same as my Ronin S

I just updated the app a few days ago, it has changed drastically from the original, it looks like all of my settings are still there, just in a different place, so here are screen shots of the settings in the new app.

2020-6-8
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

wasimshahzad Posted at 2-28 01:26
it works for me .... but i have an issue.... my camera is panning while i walked ...any help please

That is the problem everyone is talking about...the Ronin S pans when walking straight, this is due to the lack of a return to center option. If you reduce your deadband it improves but introduces other issues, check my screen shots for my settings in the new app...they may help.
2020-6-8
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the latest firmware that just came out, did it resolve this issue?
2020-6-30
Use props
Stanley James
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 6-30 13:39
With the latest firmware that just came out, did it resolve this issue?

I haven't upgraded firmware in months and do not intend to do so until something in the release notes addresses this issue. I asked in the firmware release thread if the new firmware would resolve this issue and of course no response from DJI
2020-7-1
Use props
PJC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29797 ft
United Kingdom

Help - Does anyone have a set of user profiles (smooth, medium, sporty) that they can share? I'm a complete novice to the Ronin S. I was hoping I might be able to download/copy some user settings just so that I can get started and get used to the Ronin. Like most of the other people on here because of the latest firmware update the settings shown in various videos and posts just don't make sense. I really appreciate you sharing your screenshots Stanley.
2020-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules