1080p Quality Quite Bad - Downsampling Issues?
946 3 2019-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

There is some wierd stuff going on with the 1080p codec or at least the way the Osmo encodes it’s 1080p footage. Specifically aliasing in hard lines and bad artifacting in complicated scenes like forests. It’s almost like the downsampling from 4K is using “nearest neighbor” when converting the sensor’s output to 1080p insead of some other anti-aliasing method.

At first I thought it was a binning issue because the only time I was using 1080p was in 4x slow mo. I accepted the degradation as a trade off for slow motion. However, since I was getting tired of 4K60fps not working with my iPad properly I found myself shooting in 1080p for non-quality critical stuff. It didn’t take long before I noticed there was a way bigger step down in quality in 1080p mode than I am normally used to in my cameras.

In my experience, with cameras like the GH5, another 4K60fps camera, when you choose to shoot in 1080p is does not result in any noticable reduction in quality when viewing the content back on a 1080p monitor; the footage essentially looks the same. I assume this is because cameras like the GH5 are oversampling the footage and just downrezzing it. However the Osmo pocket looks far worse when the footage was shot in 1080p. I am not sure why this is, considering that the 1080p codec has a bitrate of only about 60% that of 4K on the Osmo, which should actually mean BETTER quality per pixel if the end project is watched in 1080p!

I hope this improves with an update down the road because the 1080p workflow is something to be desired when shooting and editing on a mobile platform.
2019-3-8
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

So, it turns out I'm not the one to see this.
To be honest, I'm not that into graphics etc, but somehow the 1080p feels a bit... Off?

I finally just go 4k all the day.
2019-3-8
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

StardustGeass Posted at 3-8 04:09
So, it turns out I'm not the one to see this.
To be honest, I'm not that into graphics etc, but somehow the 1080p feels a bit... Off?

I would really love to go 4K all the way too but I edit on iPad and I refuse to spend another couple of hundreds for the work around.
2019-3-8
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

StardustGeass Posted at 3-8 04:09
So, it turns out I'm not the one to see this.

Off is a good way to put it. Even somebody who isn’t a pixel peeper will be able to tell something is up.
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules