Inspire 1 camera follow mode
6105 6 2019-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Hello everyone I will make this post as short as possible, because I just have a question to ask. I have recently purschased used DJI Inspire 1 (the standard model). I know the drone has the controller follow option, but that is too dangerous for me, because I don't just want to let drone fly itself.
What I am wondering is if only the camera has controller follow option?

For example I want my friend to drive the car and I want to fly the drone in the passangers seat while the camera would always have view on the car without me moving the camera, just the drone.

Any help would be appreciated!
2019-3-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The follow me flight mode is not to be confused with active track - the Inspire 1 is old tech now and does not use the camera as part of the tracking. The drone creates a GPS tether to the GPS module in the RC and follows the RC pointing the camera in the direction of it. So the drone will follow whomever is holding the remote. If the tether is broken the drone will hover. BTW it's ability to 'fly itself' is ultimately why it is labelled as a drone!
2019-3-9
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

A CW Posted at 3-9 01:11
The follow me flight mode is not to be confused with active track - the Inspire 1 is old tech now and does not use the camera as part of the tracking. The drone creates a GPS tether to the GPS module in the RC and follows the RC pointing the camera in the direction of it. So the drone will follow whomever is holding the remote. If the tether is broken the drone will hover. BTW it's ability to 'fly itself' is ultimately why it is labelled as a drone!

Thank you for your reply. Do you really think Inspire 1 is "old tech"? I mean the drone's video quality and the flying quality is still great and all why would you call it that? I mean isn't it a better purchase than a Phantom 4?
2019-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-9 12:59
Thank you for your reply. Do you really think Inspire 1 is "old tech"? I mean the drone's video quality and the flying quality is still great and all why would you call it that? I mean isn't it a better purchase than a Phantom 4?

Because it was released in November 2014. It's an awesome drone (I own one) but that is old in this game. The fact that the FW has to be updated using SD cards, it has no OA and waypoints 1.0 is it's most advanced intelligent flight mode plus it has absolutely no redundancy and the x3 has the same sensor size as an iPhone (it is also officially discontinued on the DJI store). That said it is still relevant, very powerful and extremely cool but yes, it is old tech.
2019-3-9
Use props
dronelyfeAUS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75046 ft
Australia

@acw thanks that was very helpful i have own3d one for several years and never knew i could do this but again i guess only ever used my mavic for active track but the quality was just not viable commercially so went back to 4k on inspire x5pro. This hint above will be very helpful for my car shoots and yhabk you!

I agree as well old tech but still far outweighs and smaller drone on reliability
2020-3-7
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronelyfeAUS Posted at 3-7 16:38
@acw thanks that was very helpful i have own3d one for several years and never knew i could do this but again i guess only ever used my mavic for active track but the quality was just not viable commercially so went back to 4k on inspire x5pro. This hint above will be very helpful for my car shoots and yhabk you!

I agree as well old tech but still far outweighs and smaller drone on reliability

hmmmm, funny using Litchi I had followed my brother walking through a park with no input from the remote that was NOT in my brother's hand, but in mine, I was also able to move the bird up and down with the camera fixed on my  subject.
2020-3-12
Use props
jigbobby
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used the "Focus" and "Follow" modes in the Autopilot app dozens of times to do exactly what you want. Once the drone takes off and the app is running the camera will stay focused on the controller, either by flying in a position relevant to the controller which you define beforehand, or by flying the drone to a position anywhere of your choosing around the controller by using the same controls you use to fly normally. Dead easy. Just remember the Inspire 1 has no collision avoidance so be very very aware of your surroundings.
2020-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules