Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Panasonic or Olympus - Opinion?
1589 3 2019-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aero-Drone Imagery
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looking at non-Zenmuse lenses for the X5S system. Between the Olypmus and Panasonic, which are the best and why?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you...

Jason Q.
PIC, Aero-Drone Imagery
www.aerodroneimagery.com
2019-3-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members could provide their feedback in regards to this query. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-10
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a list of supported lenses for the x5s on the DJI x5s page, and most of them are Olympus. The DJI 15mm lens is a rebadged Panasonic, and that lens comes with the camera. The only other Panasonic lens on the list is a 14-42 zoom, which I think has a spotty reputation. So most add on lenses are going to be Olympus. Of those, the 12 is really sharp and ultra wide. The 45mm is fantastic, and the 25mm...well... that one is my favorite lenght to shoot with, but it's known to have significant centering problems, so avoid using it wide open (typically the left side of the frame can appear out of focus wide open with this lens).

As for other higher end (unsupported) Panasonic lenses...they will all be too heavy for the x5s.
These are the supported lenses:

DJI MFT 15mm/1.7 ASPH (With Balancing Ring and Lens Hood)
Panasonic Lumix 15mm/1.7 (With Balancing Ring and Lens Hood)
Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD
Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm/2.0 (With Balancing Ring)
Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm/1.8 (With Balancing Ring)
Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm/4.0-5.6
2019-3-16
Use props
Aero-Drone Imagery
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Barry Goyette Posted at 3-16 08:24
There is a list of supported lenses for the x5s on the DJI x5s page, and most of them are Olympus. The DJI 15mm lens is a rebadged Panasonic, and that lens comes with the camera. The only other Panasonic lens on the list is a 14-42 zoom, which I think has a spotty reputation. So most add on lenses are going to be Olympus. Of those, the 12 is really sharp and ultra wide. The 45mm is fantastic, and the 25mm...well... that one is my favorite lenght to shoot with, but it's known to have significant centering problems, so avoid using it wide open (typically the left side of the frame can appear out of focus wide open with this lens).

As for other higher end (unsupported) Panasonic lenses...they will all be too heavy for the x5s.

So does DJI support the Olympus 14-42mm zoom lens that previously was supported by the X5 camera? DJI made balancing rings for this particular lens, but they do not seem to support it for the X5S. I have read may reviews that support that it works well with the X5S, but it doesn't mention that DJI supporting any FW upgrades. Not sure what to do as I tend to stick with only supported hardware...

Get a bit frustrated with DJI when they support certain hardware until it no longer seems to fit their profile. I am a bit of a brand whore when it comes to purchasing hardware. Not looking to buy 'panasonic' hardware when I know that Olympus is better, but DJI needs to support it. Have been seeing issues with initialization, and have actually experienced it myself during startup (twitchy servo motors, etc).

DJI, fix your stuff! We have spent crazy amounts of money to use the best, PLEASE KEEP UP!

Jason Q
Aero-Drone Imagery
www.aerodroneimagery.com
2019-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules