Yaw glitch solution: My experience with DJI support services.
669 3 2019-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,

I am officially documenting my experience with DJI's service center, and how they were able to resolve an almost year long issue. Back in july, I had started noticing the dreaded yaw drift, which most people considered to be caused by the firmware (I believe .300) at that time, but it wasnt that big of an issue so I mostly ignored it. As the months progressed, the drift would continue to get worse, to the point where it would rotate at 100% right yaw upon descent, and would cause the aircraft to veer to the right when going straight, getting to the point where it became a huge safety hazard to fly this. Some background on my aircraft is that I have never dropped it and would fly in mostly good conditions, no imu errors, nothing. It was around december or early january when I thought about the issue being remote side, given that I have not tried stick calibrations during the time of the issue. Sure enough, the issue was with the left stick, which was later confirmed through the flight simulator software since the only variable was the remote giving input.

Now heres where the issue started getting resolved. I opened a claim in feburary, stating that I believed this was a warrenty issue, since like my aircraft, the remote was never dropped or mishandled in any way. I got a reply the next day, (I am a night owl so I typically send emails in the later evening when most buisnesses are closed), and the support rep and I exchanged information and it was agreed upon that the remote would need to be sent in, with me sending it the day after I got the return label. A week went by, before my email started to ping quite frequently, showing the entire repair process being done in about 6-12 hours after it arriving at their facility. This got me hyped as it meant that I wouldnt be without my remote for long, which was a plus since flying with my phone created some interesting situations. (The drone lost connection and would hover about 2 feet off the ground, not initiating the auto landing.) Ultimately, the day came when I recieved my remote in the mail, and I opened this package to find that they had in fact sent me a new unit, and checking the sn confirmed my suspscions that this in fact was new. I have done testing over the past few weeks with it, (as much as you can when an arctic storms worth of rain and snow can allow), and the remote has been working flawlessly. I always do a stick cal just in case whenever I get new aircraft remotes, but from what I saw before the start of the calibration, there were no anomalies I could find.

The customer support I received throughout this whole process was great, the major part of my problem is the fact I would always blame the aircraft without testing all of my equipment. And when I did locate the problem fully, DJI was kind in helping replace the old rc with a new one, the process taking a lot less time than I had intially thought. (I intially presumed it would take about 3 weeks when in reality it took closer to a week and a half to two weeks in total.) Overall, I would like to extend my gratitude to DJI's customer service department in helping solve this issue, and I would recommend others who might be suffering from a yaw glitch like I did is to check your remote like I did, it will save you a lot of hassle of trying thousands of solutions aircraft side to only result in finding it was only remote side all along.

Cheers!
2019-3-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi AlphaFlightNW, thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with our customer service here, your kind words give us motivation to keep moving, we will keep providing more professional customer service to our customers, hope you enjoy flying.
2019-3-10
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Which model?
2019-3-11
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft