Smart Controller - just out of box, firmware will not update.
16315 51 2019-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_McHrkpWf7sKs
New

United States

I can’t even get beyond the “checking for updates screen.” What kinda crap did I just drop $1,500 on? DJI needs to get its crap Together immediately. This kind of bait & switch  borders on consumer fraud.

DJI: I look forward to your prompt response and making my return process as easy as possible.

What a joke.
image.jpg
2019-12-4
Use props
djiuser_McHrkpWf7sKs
New

United States

photo.sbozon@gmail.com Posted at 4-28 01:40
I've tried the DronezoneDe solution and it doesn't work.
That's just crazy to pay as much and to have such problem with an upgrade!

Yeah, not a good look for DJI. I feel like I got duped into buying some Chinese junk.
2019-12-4
Use props
Maximiliaan
New

Belgium

DroneZoneDE Posted at 3-28 21:23
Okay, I gave it one more try and it worked (FINALLY!)

What happened:

Thanks for the advice, worked for me too! It did get stuck at 16% for a while but then it continued. Imagine that I had to enter a verification code when I wanted to login to the Assistant app and there just was no code displayed.. had to reset the app and reinstall it too.. like where does it stop..

Dji, your software has way too much flaws, please do something about this. And a better support would be a great improvement too. Thanks. Peace out.
2019-12-25
Use props
fansfd022956
lvl.1

United States

24601 Posted at 3-11 17:55
I’m having the exact same issue! I’ve tried everything! Any luck? I reported this to Dji.

This is EXACTLY what happens if you open Assistant2 AND DO NOT LOG IN. It will not recognize anything plugged in unless you are logged in. Don't feel bad, I made that mistake too.
2019-12-31
Use props
djiuser_uzvVIsgsiyQ6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963717 ft
  • >>>
United States

24601 Posted at 2019-3-11 18:57
Seriously? That’s ridiculous! It’s not our fault at all. I can just imagine this thing crapping out mid flight  once I do get it working if I in fact keep it. Soooo frustrating!

2/16/2020 DJI MAVIC 2 ZOOM
That happened to me already, NEW OUT OF THE BOX, Did Firmware - it lost connection while in flight... the Remote just rebooted = Crash... but thankfully I wasn't too far off.  I was able to fix a motor, but now for the last 3 days my Controller will not update even though it keeps saying there is an update. Both on the SC and on the computer when trying to update the Firmware.  This is absolute disgusting!!!  I too shelled out a lot of money and there really is NO support except being told to return it to them?  What is up with this?
2020-2-15
Use props
fans5ffaafe3
New

Australia

Out of the box had the not finding thing happen.. so somewhere in settings is wifi blutooth reset.. or something.. did that, re-entered wifi and now finds update.. it's going through different percentage done,, two network errors, but pressed continue.
It's now at 98.. holding breath,, 95.. error,, continue..now lots of errors.
Now back at 1percent.. going faster now 30..36..40.. not random this time.. error,,
Continue back to 1..13..37.. 43..52..62..75..88..
91..97..99..99.. long minute passes..
2020-9-29
Use props
fans5ffaafe3
New

Australia

fans5ffaafe3 Posted at 9-29 00:03
Out of the box had the not finding thing happen.. so somewhere in settings is wifi blutooth reset.. or something.. did that, re-entered wifi and now finds update.. it's going through different percentage done,, two network errors, but pressed continue.
It's now at 98.. holding breath,, 95.. error,, continue..now lots of errors.
Now back at 1percent.. going faster now 30..36..40.. not random this time.. error,,

So that stuck at 99 for 10mins. Did a power cycle.. started update again..complains.. picks up at 75..
Goes to 82.. hangs.. 83.. 84.. pretty slow now.. 85..89..90..
Error retry 99 error retry 99.. hang error
Turn off wifi, turn on wifi restart update..
Anyway I'll let you know if anything different happens.
2020-9-29
Use props
fans5ffaafe3
New

Australia

Ok got the thing done on a windows pc.
2020-9-29
Use props
djiuser_aaktZ7tPnHJt
New
Flight distance : 879 ft

United States

Having same problem. Took it out of the box, turned it on configured and charged it. Then started to update the controller using assistant 2. After several tries it would fail everytime. So in frustration i decided to try and update the controller by using the update icon on the controller. Guess what it updated no problems... So try that and see what happens..
Good luck...
2020-10-2
Use props
bengan
New

Sweden

What should I do if I have no windows or mac? I got Linux and can't update my SC.
2021-3-1
Use props
fansc1e249a5
lvl.1

United States

smart controller firmware faulty

mine will not install or reinstall up or down

Hope this gets fixed soon
I'm ready to sell all my DJI Drones
Go with a company that cares about the customers

2021-3-30
Use props
pc3
New
United States

Still in 2021...  have issues with update process.

Similar experience.  Purchased Mavic Air 2 - supplied controller does not work with my phone (this should be much much clearer prior to purchase).  Then purchased smart controller.  Out of box, it wanted to update - that failed every time at 16%.

Followed DroneZoneDE's instructions using the PC app and got close.  

Download will be very, very slow (not my connection, either)
Controller will shutdown at about 50-80% on the download  because of no activity.  So restart the device or press the power button to disrupt the auto shutdown.  

btw, every restart of the update process has to redownload the image - even if download was previously successful. A simple hash check could confirm this step already completed rather than starting over on every failed attempt.  Big time suck.

Transfer might be slow, too if coming through a USB2 port.  Controller will signal power off due to inactivity, so distrupt it by pressing the power button.

Controller will also complain if power level too low to recharge the device, so ensure you start with a full battery.

btw, looked for sleep and auto shutdown setting on the controller and couldn't find it.

Update step (after the download and transfer steps) will get to about 75% before it restarts the controller.  This isn't the auto shutdown, so leave it alone.  ;)

At 99%, the PC app will complain that the update took too long and to restart the controller to see if it updated correctly.  Check the controller screen first.  If it is still updating, let it do its thing.  It will restart twice.  Then you can disconnect from PC and reconnect.  Update should be successful.

After all that, finally had an updated controller.

If phone manufacturers can update Android without an external computer, the controller should be able to as well imho.  Definitely need better update experience - and better instructions.
2021-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules