Question about unlimited timelapse while the unit is plugged in.
4869 20 2019-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question for those of you using the wireless base while trying to record an infinite (unlimited) time-lapse while plugging in your Osmo Pocket to wall power.

I've attempted several unlimited timelapse but the Pocket eventually shuts off (somewhere between 5-10 hours). Tonight it was using multiple power sources but the battery still slowly depleted even when it was plugged into wall power. I took off the wireless base and tried it again and it appeared to hold it's charge. Can someone else try this and get back to me.

Conclusion: When using the wireless base and plugged into power the battery on the unit STILL slowly depletes until it turns off.

BUT: If I bypass the wireless base and plug the power directly to the Osmo Pocket it stays on.

Can anyone confirm of prove this wrong?

Screenshot_20190311-162919.png
2019-3-11
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Sounds like you're on to something.

My question is, if you want to do more than "5-10 hours", why not just plug power directly into the pocket - no wireless?
2019-3-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Curt1591 Posted at 3-11 17:02
Sounds like you're on to something.

My question is, if you want to do more than "5-10 hours", why not just plug power directly into the pocket - no wireless?

I like to set it up on wireless because I can't ALWAYS get behind or next to the Pocket to set up the shot. Like if it's in a weird area that I can't see the settings or the screen. I can still set it up on wireless but just unplug the wireless after I start the timelapse. But I have to be really careful that I don't bump it too much to change my shot after I've got it all dialed in.
2019-3-11
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Bing Err Posted at 3-11 17:32
I like to set it up on wireless because I can't ALWAYS get behind or next to the Pocket to set up the shot. Like if it's in a weird area that I can't see the settings or the screen. I can still set it up on wireless but just unplug the wireless after I start the timelapse. But I have to be really careful that I don't bump it too much to change my shot after I've got it all dialed in.

Maybe use the USB-C port for charging and use an extension cable hook your phone to the smartphone adaptor.
2019-3-11
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

If you have a power bank or power supply that uses USB-C, you could try this set up: Wireless Extension
2019-3-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I saw that earlier, thought it was clever. And would make it easier to disconnect the wireless, but I could still bump the tripod while hooking up the USB C power. I could try a USB C adapter/splitter.
2019-3-11
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

the camera will not start charging automatically again after it was charged 100% (protection mode turn on?).
I hope the protection mode will be cancelled when the battery level is dropped below 25% and the charging mode will be waked up automatically.
2019-3-11
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

edwardyyy Posted at 3-11 19:00
the camera will not start charging automatically again after it was charged 100% (protection mode turn on?).
I hope the protection mode will be cancelled when the battery level is dropped below 25% and the charging mode will be waked up automatically.

Not that I've experienced. I'll have to setup a GoPro time-lapse pointed at the Osmo Pocket doing it's own time-lapse, to see when it's shutting off. Right now I have one running at home but I'm NOT using the wireless base.
2019-3-11
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Edwardyyy, that must be it!  Genuis!  Thank you.
2019-3-12
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Mine discharged to 73% then stopped discharging for unknown reasons
2019-3-12
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I just ran a 24 hour time-lapse while power plugged directly into the Osmo Pocket and it ran perfectly and when I stopped it battery was 100%. So not sure why it DOESN'T charge when plugged into the wireless adapter. I'll be testing more from different power sources.
2019-3-12
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

edwardyyy Posted at 3-11 19:00
the camera will not start charging automatically again after it was charged 100% (protection mode turn on?).

So if what edwardyyy says is true.. if you charge with a high current charger, the osmo will get to 100 percent, stop charging and then run the battery down and shut off.   But if you find a charger that is "just right" it will maintain the battery in the osmo at a level just below 100 percent forever.
2019-3-12
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I am not an EE, I don't known the mechanism of the charging process.
To protect the battery from over charged, I think there must be some kind of communication between the CAMERA + WiFi MODULE + POWER BANK.
The problem here is one of them "SLEEP" after the charging is completed.
So, my own solution to wake them up is pressing the button on my power bank every 45min~1hr. I hate this.
I hope someone here can find out a better ans.
2019-3-12
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

edwardyyy Posted at 3-12 19:34
To protect the battery from over charged, I think there must be some kind of communication between the CAMERA + WiFi MODULE + POWER BANK.
The problem here is one of them "SLEEP" after the charging is completed.

So far my solution is to NOT use the wireless adapter on longer time-lapses. Connecting directly to the bottom of the Osmo Pocket kept it on for 24 hours. I will keep testing different scenarios to see what works and what doesn't.
2019-3-12
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will try it tonight.  Shooting storm crystals.  This should be good.
2019-3-13
Use props
MM_Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94580 ft
Spain

edwardyyy Posted at 2019-3-12 19:34
The problem here is one of them "SLEEP" after the charging is completed.

Same problem. Please DJI fix this!
2020-10-8
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2

Hi.
Whats going on here is that when Osmo senses it's fully charged, it sends out a "full" signal to the charger, wich then stops suppying charge power, so it's a series of unfortunate events.
When WIFI adapter is connected, this "magic limit" seems to be around 73% of some reason. I've seen this hundreds of times.
So.
To get rid of this annoyance, i purchased one of these: https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/usb-battery-pack-keep-alive-load/

That is, basically, a usb load that make the charger think it's allways charging, and the osmo (or any usb device) use the external charger as a contiunous power source.
You connect it to your charger, in my case a emergency charger (or powerbank or whatever it's called), find the exact "point" on the potentiometer on that device, where osmo can run on battery power and where the charger thinks it's allways charging.

Works like a charm - i've done several 24hrs+ timelapses using this method.

Too sum it up: This small device kinda does what edwardyyy say he hates - pressing the button on his charger

2020-10-9
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This phenomena only happens when using a power bank to power the OP via the wireless module’s USB-C port. We use the wireless module so that we can mount the OP at some strategic location(out off reach of curious passers by)and still be able to monitor/adjust/view the OP.  I’ve been trying to find a ‘lightning’ extension cable(one with a female at one end and a male at the other end) that is not only just for charging but for data as well. This cable will then allow me to tether my iPhone to the OP via the phone connector and leave the USB-C port for charging. It’s not the best solution as I still would like the range that the wireless module provides. I’ve been hoping for a solution from DJI, but until then ...
2020-10-14
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Psoon Posted at 10-14 09:07
This phenomena only happens when using a power bank to power the OP via the wireless module’s USB-C port. We use the wireless module so that we can mount the OP at some strategic location(out off reach of curious passers by)and still be able to monitor/adjust/view the OP.  I’ve been trying to find a ‘lightning’ extension cable(one with a female at one end and a male at the other end) that is not only just for charging but for data as well. This cable will then allow me to tether my iPhone to the OP via the phone connector and leave the USB-C port for charging. It’s not the best solution as I still would like the range that the wireless module provides. I’ve been hoping for a solution from DJI, but until then ...

This is great info. Thanks
2020-10-18
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

edwardyyy Posted at 2019-3-11 19:00

Right, I have to manually restart my powerbank every hour to make sure that the OP is being charged. Not convenient when the setup is up on a rooftop capturing sunset and night sky
2020-10-27
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Norway

Psoon Posted at 10-27 08:34
Right, I have to manually restart my powerbank every hour to make sure that the OP is being charged. Not convenient when the setup is up on a rooftop capturing sunset and night sky

Thats where my method comes in place The small extra device makes the powerbank think the device is never fully charged
2020-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules