Alternative Charging Method?
1928 13 2019-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

Since DJI show up their charging case, I always wondered how would the charging case charge the OP. Looking at the video more intetly, I figured that the charging case charges OP using the pins on the OP.

Seeing that the USB-C audio adapter does not have USB input for using it together while charging with the OP, I think we can somehow charge our OP using the USB-C adapter using powerbanks or such. Seeing that the OP also charges android phone (unintendedly), I can assume power can transferred through the USB-C port. But, when I tried it with my Power Bank (Aukey 45W 30k PB), it doesn't respond at all.

Have anyone tried it? Also, anyone had success with it?
2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would like to clarify that you want to use the Power bank to charge the Osmo Pocket using the bottom USB type-C port of the Osmo Pocket, right? If so, yes it can possibly be charged using the power bank, however, we would recommend using the Osmo Pocket when it is fully charged. If you use Osmo Pocket during charging, the battery will generate heat, which shortens the battery life. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-3-12
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

DJI Tony Posted at 3-12 10:39
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. I would like to clarify that you want to use the Power bank to charge the Osmo Pocket using the bottom USB type-C port of the Osmo Pocket, right? If so, yes it can possibly be charged using the power bank, however, we would recommend using the Osmo Pocket when it is fully charged. If you use Osmo Pocket during charging, the battery will generate heat, which shortens the battery life. We do appreciate your understanding.

Sorry for a late reply...

No, I don't mean charging the OP using the given USB-C port beneath the OP.
I mean, charging the OP using the side-mount port pin (the one that can be exchanged with lightning adapter).

Anyone have tried this before?
2019-3-13
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

Side mount port is 4 pins. Data+, Data-, Vcc, Gnd.
Vcc is +5v output. Not for input.
2019-3-13
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Netherlands

nianeko3 Posted at 3-13 04:34
Side mount port is 4 pins. Data+, Data-, Vcc, Gnd.
Vcc is +5v output. Not for input.

I see....
But this is interesting, since on the YT video links, I saw OP is charged by inserting the OP to the adapter hole. Perhaps it is only for placing the OP on its place then? But if so, how does the charging case charge Osmo Pocket?

This is the video I meant:

2019-3-13
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

When you tried with your Power Bank, OP was on or off?
2019-3-13
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

The OP have 8 pins/contact in the data port but the iPhone/USB-C adapter only uses 4 of the pin/contacts. The other 4 maybe for connecting to the charge case for charging.
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

StardustGeass Posted at 3-13 03:25
Sorry for a late reply...

No, I don't mean charging the OP using the given USB-C port beneath the OP.

Hi, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, this process hasn't been recommended by our engineers, therefore, we could guarantee the outcome if it will work. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-3-13
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

Wiz33 Posted at 3-13 07:07
The OP have 8 pins/contact in the data port but the iPhone/USB-C adapter only uses 4 of the pin/contacts. The other 4 maybe for connecting to the charge case for charging.

If so, to charge OP may be possible by half insert of the iPhone/USB-adapter.
2019-3-13
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

nianeko3 Posted at 3-13 05:22
When you tried with your Power Bank, OP was on or off?

Tried both of them. When the OP is off, both doesn't do anything.
But when OP is on, the PB is CHARGING (I think it have connection with the android need to charge the phone).

Maybe we need to wait for a special adapter to enables it then?
I really hope that we got this function, since using OP's audio adapter is blocking our charging port (and I need to access both of them).
2019-3-13
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

Okay, bumping the old thread because OP charging case comes out, and on the store page, there is an interesting note inside:

"Before using the Charging Case for the first time, please update Osmo Pocket to latest firmware through DJI Mimo."

I take it as latest firmware makes charging via data port is now accessible?
If it is possible now (and anyone founds a way to "hack" it), we can charge our OP while using audio adapter as well!
2019-4-4
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Off topic .... seems the extension rod provides WiFi or bluetooth connection to a hand phone? Or still need the wireless module attached to the base of OP?
2019-4-7
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

Oh-no Posted at 4-7 07:41
Off topic .... seems the extension rod provides WiFi or bluetooth connection to a hand phone? Or still need the wireless module attached to the base of OP?

In one of the youtube videos I saw, it still needs a wifi module.
2019-4-7
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

DJI made OP charging case, so they know how to charge via data port.
2019-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules