Current charging speed too slow
12Next >
21484 73 2019-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

Hi all, Is anyone else getting this error on their Smart Controller?

Current charging speed slow. Please use the charger that comes with the device for a faster charging speed.

This is a brand spanking new Smart Controller and I am using the Charger that came with it??

thanks

Smart Controller Error

Smart Controller Error
2019-3-12
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Are you also using the cable that came with it?  Try a different wall socket?  Hopefully, it works okay in spite of the message.
2019-3-12
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

ff22 Posted at 3-12 06:59
Are you also using the cable that came with it?  Try a different wall socket?  Hopefully, it works okay in spite of the message.

Yes, I'm using the official charger set up that my Smart Controller came with and this error occurs in every single wall socket I use, no matter the location I'm at.
2019-3-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. May we know if the firmware of your unit is up to date? We will coordinate this situation into our designated department for further assistance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-12
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-12 09:22
Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. May we know if the firmware of your unit is up to date? We will coordinate this situation into our designated department for further assistance. Thank you for continued support.

Hi and thanks DJI Tony. It's a brand new Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Pro Combo that I purchased from one of your Authorized DJI Resellers on Amazon. I have just chatted with DJI online and they want me to box up my Smart Controller with a Repair Request.

The bummer is, now I can't use my new Mavic 2 Pro for weeks :-(
But it's now safe flying with a Smart Controller that may have a design flaw in it.
2019-3-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I do not have a smart controller so may i ask what type charger pin does it have? if it is a type C  like the new samsung phones try turning it around or try another cable.
2019-3-12
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 3-12 09:34
I do not have a smart controller so may i ask what type charger pin does it have? if it is a type C  like the new samsung phones try turning it around or try another cable.

I experimented with several cables, and only the blue tipped ones did not have that message pop up.
When you are getting a fast change, the controller make a short chime.
2019-3-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Marleyman Posted at 3-12 09:26
Hi and thanks DJI Tony. It's a brand new Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Pro Combo that I purchased from one of your Authorized DJI Resellers on Amazon. I have just chatted with DJI online and they want me to box up my Smart Controller with a Repair Request.

The bummer is, now I can't use my new Mavic 2 Pro for weeks :-(

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I would like to ask if you're about to process a replacement for this Smart Remote Controller? Have you tried to charge the remote controller using a different charger? If yes, may I know if this error message will persist? Please let us know for further assistance.
2019-3-12
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-12 16:10
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I would like to ask if you're about to process a replacement for this Smart Remote Controller? Have you tried to charge the remote controller using a different charger? If yes, may I know if this error message will persist? Please let us know for further assistance.

Hi, I do not have another cord that will fit the Smart Controller. After chatting with DJI they asked me to initiate a Repair Order, which I did, and I shipped back my Smart Controller and Charging Cord to DJI yesterday.
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Marleyman Posted at 3-13 02:13
Hi, I do not have another cord that will fit the Smart Controller. After chatting with DJI they asked me to initiate a Repair Order, which I did, and I shipped back my Smart Controller and Charging Cord to DJI yesterday.

Hi, we're sorry that you've ended up sending the unit into our repair facility. Hope that you'll receive the Smart remote controller as soon as possible. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-13
Use props
Andy Fiord
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1273881 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Hi All, I have exactly same problem with brand new just from the box controller!
2019-3-17
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-17 03:32
Try a different cable.  If you still have the issue try a different charger (something that delivers comparable amperage0.

When it is fast charging, the charger is putting out 12v

2019-3-17
Use props
AviElbaz
lvl.1

Israel

You can try any other charger that support QC 2 or QC 3.
2019-3-17
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Can it not be charged from a usb3 port?
2019-5-18
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Or trough a USB-c port?
2019-5-18
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

CineView Media Posted at 5-18 08:47
Or trough a USB-c port?

Yes, but it will be slow, these only put out 5V.
For fast charge you need 12V / 2A.
There are many smart USB chargers on Amazon.

2019-5-18
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

rparge Posted at 5-18 10:45
Yes, but it will be slow, these only put out 5V.
For fast charge you need 12V / 2A.
There are many smart USB chargers on Amazon.

Thanks,
How about cigarette usb car chargers, they also only output 5V, right, or are there 12v outputs for this also?
2019-5-18
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
United States

CineView Media Posted at 5-18 12:04
Thanks,
How about cigarette usb car chargers, they also only output 5V, right, or are there 12v outputs for this also?

Yup, I have one that is a certified quick charger, and I tried it, and the SC kicked into fast charging mode when plugged into it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Compatible-Samsung-Galaxy-Charge/dp/B079ZS4H81?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_10514076011
2019-5-18
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

rparge Posted at 5-18 14:01
Yup, I have one that is a certified quick charger, and I tried it, and the SC kicked into fast charging mode when plugged into it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Compatible-Samsung-Galaxy-Charge/dp/B079ZS4H81?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_10514076011

Good find, thx man
2019-5-19
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

rparge Posted at 5-18 14:01
Yup, I have one that is a certified quick charger, and I tried it, and the SC kicked into fast charging mode when plugged into it.

It can be daunting reading reviews of this or actually, any product.

"Wonderful, best thing since sliced bread"

"Worse purchase of my life - worked for 10 seconds and failed"

Same with Yelp restaurant reviews: excellent food and service.  Worst meal of my life!
2019-5-19
Use props
MavicProRo
New
Germany

Today, the combo of the M2P and SC has been delivered to me (Germany).

Even when connecting the SC to the special charger, part of the delivery which also includes USB A to USB C cable, (Output 17.6V - 3.41A or 17.0V - 3.53A, 5.0V - 2.0A) the SC gives a warning message thath the current charging speed is slow and that the original charger which came with the delivery should be used (although I am exactly using that charger).

Already tried several cables USB A - USB C and USB C - USB C and different chargers (including Aukey Turbo Charger, USB A Out 5V - 2.1A and USB C Out 5V - 3A, 12V - 3A). No change, the error message and problem is still there.

Anyone with the same problem? As of nhow, it very regretfully and unforunately seems that I will have to return the combo package of M2P and SC.
2019-6-14
Use props
MavicProRo
New
Germany

P.S.: Only with with the white DJI wall charger and the white DJI cable, following happens: The special charging sound returns and returns every 5-10 seconds, which gives the impression that quick charging permanently starts and stops again and again.
2019-6-14
Use props
Roterdan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2515646 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

MavicProRo Posted at 6-14 08:49
P.S.: Only with with the white DJI wall charger and the white DJI cable, following happens: The special charging sound returns and returns every 5-10 seconds, which gives the impression that quick charging permanently starts and stops again and again.

I use a Motorola Z3's charger, it works fine in a fast mode, Samsung´s fast charger failed to charger in fast mode. Cable and charger from my Motorola.
2019-6-14
Use props
ENC DRONES
lvl.2
United States

Anyone find a desk top USC hub that can fast charge the SC? I cant seem to find one. With my work gear I need a 5 or more port hub but want one that can fast charge the SC.

Thanks
2019-6-17
Use props
Randori
lvl.1
United States

After reading the responses to the original post I can't help but feel like folks are missing the point.....as I'm experiencing the same problem.

!.  Most report that it's a brand new DJI smart controller
2. We are using the charging cable supplied by DJI in the packaging with the smart controller (switching to a different cable should not be necessary)
3.  The USB port used does not seem to make a difference (wall outlets, USB ports on PC's and laptops, and automotive adapters all produce the same "slow charge" message)

There's an issue here that is being missed with all the back and fort on cable type and charging port adapters and trying different options and that is that the controller and cable combination provided by DJI themselves seem to have a problem that is not being addressed.
2019-9-1
Use props
SteveNJ75
lvl.1
United States

Randori Posted at 9-1 15:35
After reading the responses to the original post I can't help but feel like folks are missing the point.....as I'm experiencing the same problem.

!.  Most report that it's a brand new DJI smart controller

I am having the same issue.  I bought the bundle so it doesn't come with a stand alone charger for the SC.  I have tried a bunch of different cables with no luck.  This is extremely frustrating.  
2019-9-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft

ENC DRONES Posted at 6-17 18:12
Anyone find a desk top USC hub that can fast charge the SC? I cant seem to find one. With my work gear I need a 5 or more port hub but want one that can fast charge the SC.

Thanks

And USB-C that supports PD will work to charge it.
Make sure its a good cable with the correct resistors as well.
Standard dumb chargers or USB3 to C converters etc arent and wont charge quickly.
2019-9-15
Use props
djiuser_iDgWFTbAWSuH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 442602 ft
Singapore

MavicProRo Posted at 2019-6-14 08:11
Today, the combo of the M2P and SC has been delivered to me (Germany).

Even when connecting the SC to the special charger, part of the delivery which also includes USB A to USB C cable, (Output 17.6V - 3.41A or 17.0V - 3.53A, 5.0V - 2.0A) the SC gives a warning message thath the current charging speed is slow and that the original charger which came with the delivery should be used (although I am exactly using that charger).

I can confirm the exact same behaviour for a brand new Magic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller and all original chargers being sold on Amazon in Germany. Tried several other fast chargers, same same.

Definitely a DJI Problem that needs to be fixed because right now my smart controller needs all night to charge.
2020-1-15
Use props
djiuser_iDgWFTbAWSuH
lvl.1
Singapore

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-3-12 09:22

Hey Toni, this thread needs your attention again as several people report the same problem. This is not a problem that you can fix by sending in all the smart controllers. This must be something wrong in manufacturing or software. Please advice!
2020-1-15
Use props
Avronaut
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53996 ft
Germany

Fast charging works with charger AND cable which comes with SM. Nevertheless slow charging works too and btw it is even better for the batterie life
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_b6COqDW5M3E1
New

Panama

The same problem over here, brand new, put of the box, charged it before using it, as did with the mavic 2 batteries....did all the firmware uodates requested, flew a couple of time...go to charge the controller abd i get this message. Slow charge with the original charger and cable bur ok with anker Q3 charger and cable, looks like software problem to me.
2020-4-30
Use props
TheAlmostGreat
lvl.1
United States

Hi, I'm getting this error and have followed all the advice in this forum with the myriad of cables, chargers ranging from 2-5amp and 4-12V, sockets, you name it. In fact, my controller charges so slow and drains so fast that the controller dies after about 4 rounds of flight on the drone, with "charging" inbetween.

I've used the provided charger, the charger for the battery which has a USBC port, and multiple others. None work, it takes a week to fully charge or I risk my controller dying mid flight. What is going on. I just updated firmware 2 days ago.
2020-6-28
Use props
tomasese
New
United States

I have this problem in a brand new unit. I should not have to do without the use of my equipment over this for a repair or replacement. Please no stupid responses about cables or firmware updates. Right now I have it unplugged from the wall and the lights on the SC are still flashing as though charging.
2020-7-3
Use props
tomasese
New
United States

Nevermind

2020-7-5
Use props
tobiwei
lvl.1
Germany

How is everybody feeling with this? I have the drone for about half a year now and I don't see that message anymore. Don't know if this shows up for the first few charges only or if it was fixed but the original charger charges my remote control much faster now
2020-7-20
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

tobiwei Posted at 7-20 06:59
How is everybody feeling with this? I have the drone for about half a year now and I don't see that message anymore. Don't know if this shows up for the first few charges only or if it was fixed but the original charger charges my remote control much faster now

I have a new unit dated June 19, 2020 (M2P combo) with no issues. As old as this thread is, my guess would be things have been worked out. Just my $.02
2020-7-29
Use props
Decado
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Greetings all

As already stated this is an old thread but as it still seems to have some currency I’ll share my experience.

I added a smart controller to my equipment today ( July 31 2020). I have not yet flown with it but have switched it on and registered et al. What I did notice immediately was that it was charging slowly. I unplugged and re inserted the cable several times for the same result, pushed it home firmly and still no change. I unplugged and plugged it in faster than usual and bingo, fast charge. I generally treat my gear very gently right down to how I plug  in charging cables but after a little experimentation what I have found is this.

If I plug the cable in slowly in my usual cautious manner it charges slowly, if I plug in quickly it fast charges. Strange but 100% reproducible every time over about 20 attempts each way. I stress, it has nothing to do with how hard you plug it in, just how quickly.

Perhaps it may be related to inrush current levels with the connector pins partially engaged while slowly plugging in and the auto negotiation being some how a little over zealous  but that’s just a guess, I’ve been a qualified telecommunications technician for 40 years for perspective, I have half a clue at least so it’s an educated guess lol.

Once again, brand new charger, never flown with and only unboxed a few hours but that’s what I’ve noticed for what it’s worth. As other’s have observed, charging behaviour may be different after a few cycles. I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

Regards
Ari
2020-7-30
Use props
fans9e8e3dc4
New
United Kingdom

I’ve been having this issue for over a year with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I put it down to the wrong cable even though I was pretty sure it was the one that came with it. But I just bought a Mavic 2 Pro August 2020 and it has the same issue. The new drone came with the smart controller as well. I’ve tried charging both with both chargers and it’s the same on both, getting the low charging message on both.

How can a brand new drone out of the box have this issue?
2020-12-12
Use props
TomAir9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 314144 ft
United States

Just to let you know, the controller will charge just fine at the slower speed. Just takes longer.  You must be using a USB 3.0 cable.
2020-12-23
Use props
Yanks917
lvl.1

United States

2021 update** used the wire that came with my Mavic Air 2 and works the correct way.
2021-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules