Mavic Air Lost, Fly Away, Thanks DJI GO 4 for the horrible app!!
1727 23 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ㅎJ*Kㅎ
lvl.1
France

Hello,

Days ago i lost my Air and i blame DJI on it. The Android app is (and has always been) a pure horror : i have multiple device, all using different android version, different rom, different hardware, etc.. on ALL ofthem, i get the app crashing at launch extremely often . You need to know that THE ONLY way (believe me, i tried all) to have the app work again after it crash is reboot phone to recovery and wipe ALL caches. Even that can fail at times. Doing this takes roughly 5 minutes. Wiping app cache does NOT help.

Sadly that day, it crashed WHILE IN USE. And that was the moment i was trying to get the baby back home while wind got crazy. RTH didn't function. Seeing it wasn't coming, i ran to its supposed location, which was only ~500m away. I didn't see it. When app crash, logging stops. So the last known GPS position is obviously NOT its last position.. Wind blew in opposite of home direction, so it was probably carried in that way, which is sort of a ravine.. Or even much further than that, who knows?!

I spend countless hours looking for it in that area.  I know it's here. But this is hill/mountain area is so wide.. And dangerous! It's like looking for a baby after a plane crash! Steep, huge sharp rocks everyday, got wounded multiple times aready.. And probably will again, being exhausted really help loosing your equilibrum! I asked for other drone pilots help and while first, all wanted, it seems all retracted.. Great! Will i keep risking my life to find it? I guess i will, unless i'm sent a replacement.

Regards.
2019-3-13
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.
2019-3-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sprtbkrydr Posted at 3-13 06:18
Sorry for your loss.

Hi,

Sad story. Sorry for your loss,

Strange that you have so much troubles with the app. i use 3 different android device, hardly ever a crash with the DJIG0 4 app.
Plus i always have a screen recorder active (du recorder), all my devices have 4 gb RAM and fast SOC.
cheers
JJB
2019-3-13
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss. Me too have not problems with DJI Go 4 app latest Version. I also have AZ Screen Recorder running while Flying doing Screen Recording too.
2019-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you have a flight log you can post, I’m not sure if I understand you say you asked for other pilots help, but they somehow didn’t help you Why ?
If I’ve got that wrong apologies, just post logs you may get some help .
2019-3-13
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear of your loss.  I would offer to help by looking at your logs, but unfortunately it sounds like that won't be feasible with the app crashing.  As some have mentioned here, there is a sizable percentage of DJI flyers that use Android devices very successfully.  I'm personally an iOS guy, so my only DJI experience with Androids are with their CrystalSky and Smart Controller.  

I know you say you've used multiple devices with all the same problem.  Which devices have you used?  Also, many times with crashes (not just Android, but iOS and Windows), it can have just as much (or even more) to do with the other apps  that are installed and running on the device as it is with the actual app you are using itself.  Have you tried with a clean device with only minimal other apps installed?

Unfortunately, none of my questions and comments will do anything to help you get your lost drone back.  Given your description of the events, I think only luck will likely help you with that.  However, if you would like the community here to try to assist, do as the others have mentioned, and upload whatever logs you do have and then paste the resulting URL(s) here.  I'm sure many will be willing to have a look to see if there is anything useful.  https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

I would suggest you open a support case with DJI (https://dji.com/support), however, given your description, I highly doubt they will likely be able to provide you with any answers or a warranty replacement.

A couple suggestions for the future when you get a new drone...
  • Try to keep your drone in Visual Line of Sight.  Getting your drone out of sight exponentially increases your risks if something out of the ordinary (like an app crash) were to happen.  When the drone is beyond visual line of sight and something goes awry, it is very difficult (if not impossible) to know which way to steer the drone to be able to bring it back home.  If you can clearly see the drone, you can easily see what stick inputs do and be able to bring it back home. This is the reason most countries have regulations around VLOS.  I think many of us may be guilty of pushing these boundaries.  However, if you do so, you just have to understand you are exponentially increasing the risks of a negative outcome.
  • In high wind situations, try to plan your flight to be able to fly upwind instead of downwind.  Again, the reason for this is if something out of the ordinary happens (app crash, ATTI mode, etc), the drone is more likely to be pushed back to you rather than away from you.

Best of luck moving forward!  I hope you are able to be back up and flying again soon!
2019-3-13
Use props
ㅎJ*Kㅎ
lvl.1
France

Thanks for the replies.. If i were to get my hands back on it (Obviously, if i ever fly again, i will not put ANY trust in the app.. Which is why i think i won't buy a new one.. And will discourage anybody around that plans to (especially if using android).

Such drone isn't a toy to me, not even a tool, it's more like a child in my eye.. Not kidding, it even had a name!
2019-3-13
Use props
ahattar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170446 ft
United States

My Mavic Pro flew away a few days ago on its own.  No error at take off, current update installed, tested sticks hovering like always, nothing around to cause interference.  I've never crashed any drone including this one.  It has been sent back to DJI 5 times since I bought it for the exact same reason.  Gimbal overload error.  It ruined countless jobs and made me look like an idiot multiple times.  DJI never replaced it, they just kept sending me back the same lemon over and over.  I had to nag them the entire time just to get an email response.  They don't answer any of your questions even if you're on the phone with them.  I tried to escalate the case multiple times to try to get a new replacement since the same drone kept having the same error rendering it useless.  I never received any contact from escalation even though that is what was supposed to happen.  They just drop the ball over and over until your warranty expires then your drone flys away on its own.  I will never buy a DJI product again.  I don't just own their drones either and I use some of their professional grade products.  They offered me absolutely nothing for my troubles ever, they just apologized for the "inconvenience"  Is it just me or is it more than an "inconvenience" when your $1000 drone flys away into the mountains and you lose thousands in revenue because you couldn't complete jobs and your drone makes you look like an unprofessional idiot?  

They wouldn't even analyze the data since I'm just out of warranty.  I told them they obviously don't care about their product or customers if they don't want to at least try to figure out what happened so they can prevent it in the future.  Its a garbage company, buyer beware.   

I guess all we can do is spread the word that DJI doesn't stand behind their product so more folks don't get screwed.  
2019-3-13
Use props
ㅎJ*Kㅎ
lvl.1
France

Well, that's what i'm going to do, and hell i have many people interested by these around me! Thinking about it, any drone owner should do that before starting to fly :

1/ Make it looking different/unique : actually i did this, but black stripes on white isn't flashy enough for the situation.. It should be COLORFUL.

2/ I would stick REFLECTIVE & furthermore FLUORESCENT tape/stickers (or anything that can stick well) on each of its side, and even on legs.

3/ I would add a sticker with my contact information and some recommendation in case lost & found by somebody else.

4/ I would add a mini bluetooth alarm that can be rang from a distance, so it can be found even if battery's dead.

I wish somebody told me all this first! Also wish RTH will be changed ASAP to take in account current wind, it is USELESS as of now.

Sure it's better to maintain VLOS, but for that you need to keep the baby REALLY close to you : i loose sight very quickly.. For the price paid, we should be able to move it away safely!

Such drone isn't a toy to me, not even a tool, it's more like a child in my eye.. Not kidding, it even had a name! I think it's a great device but that crappy app has literally killed mine.

Seriously, people loose their drone everyday, but how many WITHOUT seeing where it went/without log until it crash/land? I haven't seen this A SINGLE TIME, reading countless post..?

PS: KlooGee, you say even if i open a case, you doubt i can get any answer or replacement, why is that? Because my log is cut in the middle..? In which case did DJI issue replacement after loss?
2019-3-13
Use props
ㅎJ*Kㅎ
lvl.1
France

hallmark007, yes i asked (not on this board though) help to other pilots, because only another drone (or perhaps a hunting dog..?) will be able to locate it.. And yes, while people told they'll help, they didn't. Perhaps no time for now..? I don't know..
2019-3-13
Use props
Droningalex (Alex B.)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Can you please post the flight log?
Sorry for your loss.

Flysafely all
Droningalex aka Alex B
2019-3-13
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Sorry to know that buddy
2019-3-13
Use props
Grumpy D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Sorry to hear of your loss.
You say you have always had problems with the app crashing. So I have to ask, why did you continue to fly? You could have come here before you lost your MA and received assistance finding a solution. What devices have you had problems with? Are any of them listed on DJI list of compatible devices?
2019-3-14
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to read that mate
2019-3-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

So, what was the cellphone you used when this happened?
I use DJI GO app (4.1.15) on wide range of Android devices ranging from crappy Samsung E5 to some YogaBook tablet (it has hdmi output so can share app screen on big TV) to latest flagships.
Never had a crash so far.
2019-3-14
Use props
Alex1976
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

I am very sorry for your loss of the Mavic Air
2019-3-14
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

My DJI GO app crashed several times mid-flight and yes, it is VERY disconcerting, to say the least.

I found a fix by clearing the cache and I also shut OFF video and audio caching.

SO far, I have taken 2 flights since and everything worked perfectly, no crash.  I also have Litchi which always works without a hitch.

We shall see what we shall see.

2019-3-15
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i just spent three months travelling with the Air and all i can say it what a piece of crap it is.

i have three phones and a tablet ... the app sucks, period.  it always has sucked and always will suck.  from day 1 on my p3p to today, the app sucks.

i lost my drone one day in december and it was nothing short of a miracle that i got it back, it landed about 2 feet in from the cliff .. so 2 seconds away from a 500 foot drop.

the firmwares suck , don't get me started on all the issues i had trying to fly over those three months.  i was stupid to update from 1.2 aaaaaahhh it used to work quite well.

ah well, i knew it would suck when i bought it but it's compact so i can travel with it.  even if i can only get 20% of the footage i try to get.

2019-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AIister Posted at 3-16 01:56
i just spent three months travelling with the Air and all i can say it what a piece of crap it is.

i have three phones and a tablet ... the app sucks, period.  it always has sucked and always will suck.  from day 1 on my p3p to today, the app sucks.

There are a huge amount of people loving the Mavic Air , getting great footage great photos, maybe your just unlucky.
If you hate the app so much , have you tried using litchi  ?
2019-3-16
Use props
Renames
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4232851 ft
Australia

DJI 4 was made for iOS and ported.. until they spend the same time and money as the did on iOS and build a app from the ground up for android its going to be a pile of crap.
2019-3-16
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

DJI could solve a lot of problems by making apps for specific machines instead of the 'One Size Fits All' approach.

That way one could download code to suit your specific machine without all the bloatware for drones that you do not own.

The end result could be leaner software dedicated and tailored to your DJI drone.

Common modules (NFZ) could be added as required but the end result could avoid overtaxing perfectly capable devices with stuff that they do not require.

Downside is that DJI have to spend a bit of their profits on the IT dept
2019-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Boffin Posted at 3-16 05:25
DJI could solve a lot of problems by making apps for specific machines instead of the 'One Size Fits All' approach.

That way one could download code to suit your specific machine without all the bloatware for drones that you do not own.

While that might help, but I read almost every day people complaining they can’t use dji Pilot app which was designed for pro and enterprise, and if there was an app for each craft then it’s almost certain that no app would be good enough for anyone and the grass wouldalways be greener on the other side.

As someone who uses both android and iOS I don’t have these problems, there is basically two iOS devices iPad and iPhone , Android has much more devices many having problems with devices not compatible, it always amazes me that two people using the same device one with no problems the other with nothing but problems, I’m afraid for this user a new app will make no difference .
You will also see a never ending demand for more FW containing more features etc , no matter what’s done there will always be more wanted .

2019-3-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-16 08:22
While that might help, but I read almost every day people complaining they can’t use dji Pilot app which was designed for pro and enterprise, and if there was an app for each craft then it’s almost certain that no app would be good enough for anyone and the grass wouldalways be greener on the other side.

As someone who uses both android and iOS I don’t have these problems, there is basically two iOS devices iPad and iPhone , Android has much more devices many having problems with devices not compatible, it always amazes me that two people using the same device one with no problems the other with nothing but problems, I’m afraid for this user a new app will make no difference .

for me, samsung devices are the worst about being inconsistent.  finally got the note 8 and been nothing but dji go 4 app crashes, swapped cables, changed usb modes in developer settings etc etc even updated the OS and all little things from samsung and still no good.    but other people got it working with same hardware and everything.  same issues i have had with my S8 a while back as well... all kinds of issues, but other people had no issues.  

i dont really fully understand the issues and why some devices are more picky than other.
2019-3-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

ㅎJ*Kㅎ Posted at 3-13 10:49
Well, that's what i'm going to do, and hell i have many people interested by these around me! Thinking about it, any drone owner should do that before starting to fly :

1/ Make it looking different/unique : actually i did this, but black stripes on white isn't flashy enough for the situation.. It should be COLORFUL.

In my experience reading this and other online forums, DJI’s warranty department looks for proof of a problem when deciding whether to cover under warranty. If there is proof of a problem, they seem very willing to replace with no problems. However, without direct proof of a problem, they seem to rarely cover under warranty.  In your case, it sounds like when your app would have crashed, there would be no additional logging to show as proof of a problem.  This is why I said as I did.

Quite honestly, if I was running their business, I would run the same. Otherwise it would be too easy for someone to game the system and try to get a free replacement just by killing their app while in flight and then claiming it was lost.

Best of luck moving forward!
2019-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules