Mavic 2 Pro - Gimbal tilts downwards when windy or Sport mode?
12Next >
6414 46 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anom3
lvl.2
Poland

Hi.

Mavic 2 Pro owner.

Have a slight issue with my Mavic 2 Pro that I thought I would ask if was normal or not.

In either Sport mode OR in P mode in windy conditions the gimbal will tilt towards the ground at times when applying full forward throttle.

Is this normal?

When I say "tilt towards the ground" I mean it will go about 45 deg downwards, not fully (90 deg) down wards.

I can bring it back up with the gimbal controls.

As mentioned, this happens only when I go full throttle.

Any one else experience this kind of behavior? I am ok for the most part with it happening in Sport mode, but windy + P mode had me a bit worried its not normal.
2019-3-13
Use props
Droningalex (Alex B.)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Hmm I think it’s not normal.

Flysafely
Droningalex aka Alex B
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Mavic 2's gimbal will sometimes move straight down during flight, as the aircraft's attitude is too large and the nose is tilted too far. To avoid reaching the limit, the gimbal will move downward. You may follow the instructions below.
1. When the aircraft flies forward against the wind, a larger attitude is required in order to resist the wind turbine, and the gimbal is relatively easy to hit the upper limit. It is recommended to adjust the gimbal downward or slow down the flight speed.
2. When the aircraft is flying forward, move the gimbal upward. If the gimbal is close to the limit, it will automatically move downward. It is recommended not to move the gimbal up to the top when flying forward.
3. When the aircraft flies backward, and the control sticks are suddenly released, the attitude of the aircraft will change too much due to the rapid braking. It is recommended to slow down the drone slowly when flying backward.
4. When the drone is flying forward in S-mode, the flight speed is faster, and the attitude of the aircraft is larger. It is recommended to adjust the gimbal's movement downward or control the aircraft to avoid sudden changes in speed.
2019-3-13
Use props
Anom3
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Tony Posted at 3-13 12:36
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The Mavic 2's gimbal will sometimes move straight down during flight, as the aircraft's attitude is too large and the nose is tilted too far. To avoid reaching the limit, the gimbal will move downward. You may follow the instructions below.
1. When the aircraft flies forward against the wind, a larger attitude is required in order to resist the wind turbine, and the gimbal is relatively easy to hit the upper limit. It is recommended to adjust the gimbal downward or slow down the flight speed.
2. When the aircraft is flying forward, move the gimbal upward. If the gimbal is close to the limit, it will automatically move downward. It is recommended not to move the gimbal up to the top when flying forward.

thank you for the clarification.
2019-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Anom3 Posted at 3-13 15:07

It’s normal, just set one of your buttons to re centre ,
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Anom3 Posted at 3-13 15:07

You're most welcome. Please let us know if you have other queries. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-14
Use props
aerography.pt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2012687 ft
Portugal

I have same problem, soon I'll post a video here.
Sport Mode with no wind.
2019-5-5
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Italy

DJI Tony, released 3-13 at 12:36
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The cardinal suspension of the Mavic 2 sometimes moves downward during flight, as the plane's attitude is too large and the nose is tilted too far. To avoid reaching the limit, the universal joint will move downwards. You can follow the instructions below.
1. When the aircraft flies forward against the wind, a broader attitude is needed to resist the wind turbine, and the gimbal is relatively easy to reach the upper limit. It is advisable to adjust the gimbal down or slow down the flight speed.
2. When the plane is flying forward, move the gimbal upwards. If the gimbal is close to the limit, it will automatically move downwards. It is recommended not to move the gimbal upwards when flying forward.
Dedicated to a very arrogant and rude forumer who kept telling me that this feature of the gimbals was a defect to be replaced ... after months and months of personal researchThx Tony
2019-5-5
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-5 18:04
Dedicated to a very arrogant and rude forumer who kept telling me that this feature of the gimbals was a defect to be replaced ... after months and months of personal researchThx Tony

Don't be dumb Enrico and learn how to read... This happens to all of us in SPORT Mode and very HIGH winds, not in Normal modes. I've never had a gimbal repositioning itself in Normal modes (P or T). If this is happening to anyone in P mode, the wind must be so high they shouldn't be flying in the 1st place...
2019-5-6
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 3-14 09:24
You're most welcome. Please let us know if you have other queries. Thank you for continued support.

Hi Tony, just for clarifying this:

- Is it normal for the gimbal to re-position itself when flying forward in Normal modes (P & T) IF there's no HIGH WIND VELOCITY and LAND IN A SAFE PLACE ASAP warnings???

From my experience, this only happens when flying in SPORT mode (to compensate for the high attitude) OR the winds are VERY high.
2019-5-6
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Netherlands

El Diabolico Posted at 5-6 04:51
Don't be dumb Enrico and learn how to read... This happens to all of us in SPORT Mode and very HIGH winds, not in Normal modes. I've never had a gimbal repositioning itself in Normal modes (P or T). If this is happening to anyone in P mode, the wind must be so high they shouldn't be flying in the 1st place...

yet ??  yet ???  It happens in both  P/S , when the attitude and stops (brakes) are extreme!!!
2019-5-7
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-7 22:48
yet ??  yet ???  It happens in both  P/S , when the attitude and stops (brakes) are extreme!!!

In P modes, there's NO extreme attitude or brakes unless flying in EXTREME high winds. Get your facts together and let's wait for tony to reply. if I am wrong I will apologize but if I am not, I am expecting you to do the same...
2019-5-7
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I use a flare shade. Whilst this will not help with head on winds it does protect the gimbal/cam assembly from side winds to an extent (apart from the obvious benefits of flare reduction). I almost always have it on.

20190207_124631.jpg
2019-5-7
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Netherlands

El Diabolico Posted at 5-7 23:15
In P modes, there's NO extreme attitude or brakes unless flying in EXTREME high winds. Get your facts together and let's wait for tony to reply. if I am wrong I will apologize but if I am not, I am expecting you to do the same...

No excuses are needed!  I need you to try these passages repeated by me with your Mavic:
P mode
Brake sensibility (default)
Cam 0° (Horizontal)
all lever back, let mavic take full speed
release lever
...and you will see that even your cam will jump to -7 or -9 ° !!!  test !!!
2019-5-8
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Netherlands

El Diabolico Posted at 5-7 23:15
sorry duplicate
2019-5-8
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-8 02:49
No excuses are needed!  I need you to try these passages repeated by me with your Mavic:
P mode
Brake sensibility (default)

Enrico, I've done this many, many times. no gimbal correction needed from my side in T or P Modes.
I believe many others will be able to confirm this. What is probably happening is that some Mavics have weaker gimbal settings from the factory (DJI's quality control is far from legendary). Instead of accepting things like this as 'normal', open a ticket and ask for your drone to be fixed!
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When the pitch angle of the drone increases the attitude the drone will auto adjust the gimbal tilt angle to compensate. This will only happen in Sport mode (to maximise speed) and if the drone needs to maximise power to maintain it's speed and stability e.g. heavy winds. If flying in p-mode in speeds up to a fresh breeze the gimbal will not react like that as the pitch angle will be moderate with no need for the gimbal to auto adjust to compensate. So if you are flying at a steady 31MPH in P-mode in a light wind and this happens then you may have a fault with your drone. My Mavic 2 Pro gimbal has never done this except in Sport mode.
2019-5-9
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

El Diabolico Posted at 5-8 22:27
Enrico, I've done this many, many times. no gimbal correction needed from my side in T or P Modes.
I believe many others will be able to confirm this. What is probably happening is that some Mavics have weaker gimbal settings from the factory (DJI's quality control is far from legendary). Instead of accepting things like this as 'normal', open a ticket and ask for your drone to be fixed!

all Mavic do it, maybe it's your gimbal that's stuck, open your ticket.  It's about physics, big trim changes bring the gimbal to the end, and if your gimbal doesn't arrive at the end of the race you'll have problems with braking speed that isn't as sharp and precise as the rest of the drones
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-9 04:36
all Mavic do it, maybe it's your gimbal that's stuck, open your ticket.  It's about physics, big trim changes bring the gimbal to the end, and if your gimbal doesn't arrive at the end of the race you'll have problems with braking speed that isn't as sharp and precise as the rest of the drones

Well, unlike yourself looking at the drones you have owned in your profile I have actually owned many Mavic's since the model arrived and the only ones that do this are the Mavic Air and Mavic 2's. That is because the tech in these specific, modern models are designed to enhance stability in stronger winds and maintain their air speed.

Have you ever flown an original Mavic Pro in strong winds? I have and the gimbal does not react at all but rather the drone massively drops in speed which is why many Mavic's were lost on range flights back in the day by the drone turning into the wind and the 22MPH cruising speed would suddenly become 6MPH and if you're on 50% battery two miles away over the sea you could kiss that Mavic Pro goodbye as many did. There are plenty of videos on YT relating to that.

If you are flying the M2P in light winds in a normal flight mode the gimbal will not drop down. I have posted videos on here and seen many more and at no point in my or anyone else's videos has the gimbal dropped except when the pilot has used Sport mode or is deliberately flying in heavy winds to test the drone. I reversed flight when flying on Sunday morning last weekend, pitched back 100% in p-mode and the gimbal did not move one degree.
2019-5-9
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-9 05:27
Well, unlike yourself looking at the drones you have owned in your profile I have actually owned many Mavic's since the model arrived and the only ones that do this are the Mavic Air and Mavic 2's. That is because the tech in these specific, modern models are designed to enhance stability in stronger winds and maintain their air speed.

Have you ever flown an original Mavic Pro in strong winds? I have and the gimbal does not react at all but rather the drone massively drops in speed which is why many Mavic's were lost on range flights back in the day by the drone turning into the wind and the 22MPH cruising speed would suddenly become 6MPH and if you're on 50% battery two miles away over the sea you could kiss that Mavic Pro goodbye as many did. There are plenty of videos on YT relating to that.

and here is the point where you can't understand yet !!!  nom just send the drone back at full speed ... even my way does not move ... but you try when it is at full speed backwards to move the lever all forward ... and you will see how the cam leaps down!
when you brake going backwards and then fast forward the drone will have a trim with snout all down !!!  look at yourself the photo(example) i posted to make you understand ... the gimbal will be less fast than this sudden change of attitude and you will see your cam lower!
I hope it's finally clear!
F15EE132-AE07-4AE1-9DC3-E195704585D6.jpeg
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-9 06:28
and here is the point where you can't understand yet !!!  nom just send the drone back at full speed ... even my way does not move ... but you try when it is at full speed backwards to move the lever all forward ... and you will see how the cam leaps down!
when you brake going backwards and then fast forward the drone will have a trim with snout all down !!!  look at yourself the photo(example) i posted to make you understand ... the gimbal will be less fast than this sudden change of attitude and you will see your cam lower!

It was clear to me well before your post - it's just a shame we need a little more work here for you to finally understand. To obtain "full speed" would be to use Sport mode yes? and will thus maximise the attitude and pitch angle of the drone in doing so - it has been explained to you why this needs to happen and is a positive element of the drone behaviour in order to maintain airspeed in adverse conditions and to prevent props from showing in the footage and ruining the shoot The point is that it does not auto tilt the gimbal down in moderate speeds and pitch angles such as flying in p-mode, even with instant braking as you incorrectly claim. I am sorry but your little sketch proves absolutely nothing unlike every video I have seen, including my own use of this very drone... Ah, I remember you now - you're the guy who created a whole thread thinking that his drone was faulty because it returns after doing a quick shot... Hopefully you'll work this one out soon too. Sadly, its not just the drone that needs to drop the attitude here!
2019-5-9
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

A J Posted at 5-9 06:43
It was clear to me well before your post - it's just a shame we need a little more work here for you to finally understand. To obtain "full speed" would be to use Sport mode yes? and will thus maximise the attitude and pitch angle of the drone in doing so - it has been explained to you why this needs to happen and is a positive element of the drone behaviour in order to maintain airspeed in adverse conditions and to prevent props from showing in the footage and ruining the shoot The point is that it does not auto tilt the gimbal down in moderate speeds and pitch angles such as flying in p-mode, even with instant braking as you incorrectly claim. I am sorry but your little sketch proves absolutely nothing unlike every video I have seen, including my own use of this very drone... Ah, I remember you now - you're the guy who created a whole thread thinking that his drone was faulty because it returns after doing a quick shot... Hopefully you'll work this one out soon too. Sadly, its not just the drone that needs to drop the attitude here!

I give up, you're right Aj ... with the Anglo-Saxons we have to say so! Both DJI and I are wrong
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-9 08:29
I give up, you're right Aj ... with the Anglo-Saxons we have to say so! Both DJI and I are wrong

No, DJI have also right - when the attitude is too large and the gimbal has reached it's limits it will tilt - neither however are caused by braking in P-mode so you totally got that one wrong yourself! I really am not one to repeat myself but let's just say I'm glad you finally got it which should have absolutely nothing to do with where I live but rather your need to learn from those more experienced. Good day.
2019-5-9
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

A J Posted at 5-9 08:34
No, DJI have also right - when the attitude is too large and the gimbal has reached it's limits it will tilt - neither however are caused by braking in P-mode so you totally got that one wrong yourself! I really am not one to repeat myself but let's just say I'm glad you finally got it which should have absolutely nothing to do with where I live but rather your need to learn from those more experienced. Good day.

It was a kind way to tell you that your Drone does it too, the most experienced Drone here!But don't worry about it, compared to your mastery. Thx
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-9 09:06
It was a kind way to tell you that your Drone does it too, the most experienced Drone here!But don't worry about it, compared to your mastery. Thx

Thanks, Bro
2019-5-9
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Of course that’s what tony would say but that is NOT normal. ( I have had hundreds of flights with mavic pro 2 in 30 mph winds)
2019-5-9
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 5-9 13:38
Of course that’s what tony would say but that is NOT normal. ( I have had hundreds of flights with mavic pro 2 in 30 mph winds)
me too the cam does not jump with the gusts of wind or with a strong wind (within the limits of a drone in safety let's be clear) here the problem is that it is said that the cam should never jump even if it goes to +30 degrees  and throws all the lever in front obviously there are those who have the custom cam that goes beyond the + 30 ° designed by Dji, lucky him
2019-5-9
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-9 04:36

What are you talking about???
What end of the race???
Problems with braking speed that isn't as sharp and precise as the rest of the drones???

If you want to have a formal discussion you will need to do a little better than Google Translator, sorry.
2019-5-10
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

A J Posted at 5-9 00:37
When the pitch angle of the drone increases the attitude the drone will auto adjust the gimbal tilt angle to compensate. This will only happen in Sport mode (to maximise speed) and if the drone needs to maximise power to maintain it's speed and stability e.g. heavy winds. If flying in p-mode in speeds up to a fresh breeze the gimbal will not react like that as the pitch angle will be moderate with no need for the gimbal to auto adjust to compensate. So if you are flying at a steady 31MPH in P-mode in a light wind and this happens then you may have a fault with your drone. My Mavic 2 Pro gimbal has never done this except in Sport mode.

Amen brother...
2019-5-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, some folk are just too arrogant to learn and thus will continue to post threads asking questions about the most basic features of the drone and often throw their toys out of the pram until the realisation sinks in that their lack of knowledge was the cause in the first place. Sadly, rather than thank you for helping them they become rude and deflective - and clearly anglophobic in this case!
2019-5-10
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

El Diabolico Posted at 5-10 05:12
What are you talking about???
What end of the race???
Problems with braking speed that isn't as sharp and precise as the rest of the drones???

The gimbal has a limit! when the drone with its trim and exceeds the limit of the gimbal the cam jumps! also try it with the drone in your hand
2019-5-10
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

A J Posted at 5-10 05:22
Yeah, some folk are just too arrogant to learn and thus will continue to post threads asking questions about the most basic features of the drone and often throw their toys out of the pram until the realisation sinks in that their lack of knowledge was the cause in the first place. Sadly, rather than thank you for helping them they become rude and deflective - and clearly anglophobic in this case!

Bevi manco pantalon!I have already thanked you for your wisdom!
2019-5-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-10 11:57

Apology accepted.
2019-5-10
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

The gimbal has a limit! when the drone with its trim and exceeds the limit of the gimbal the cam jumps! also try it with the drone in your hand

Enrico AJ has already replied to you in a very simple and understandable way... and yet you continue to be stuck in your original theory.

YES there's a limit on the gimbal movement and that is obviously influenced by the position of the drone in relation to the horizontal level and YES the gimbal will auto adjust itself when reaching the limits. This happens in SPORT mode.

BUT those limits CANNOT be achieved in P and T modes unless you fly in very, very bad weather conditions. In NORMAL conditions, your camera will NOT re-adjust itself.

IF your drone is doing that in NORMAL flight modes you should open a case with DJI and insist on getting it repaired.
Just go to YouTube and check! There are hundreds of videos demonstrating this. I am posting below a random one were you can see the M2P FULL THROTTLE in P & SPORT modes and check the differences by yourself. I hope this is the last time we have to discuss about this topic...

ps. Check 01:42 for NORMAL MODE (P) and from 02:30 for SPORT mode. As you can (hopefully see), the gimbal only adjusts itself in the 2nd option.

2019-5-13
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

EnricoBrun Posted at 5-9 06:28

Sorry but I just reviewed your previous post... Why in heavens would you go full throttle forward and suddenly full throttle backwards (or the other way around) while filming???

If you need to perform an emergency braking to avoid any type of accident this would mean you are flying in SPORT mode (like I said), otherwise the anti collision sensors would have stopped the drone way before you have to intervene.  And in this case is the gimbal movement paramount or the fact that you just saved your drone??? If you are doing this for FUN well, the M2P is not a racing drone although very fast but in that case you shouldn't expect any 'smooth' video footage. Your logic is flawed.

Closing, it is quite funny how you started this thread saying that it is normal for the gimbal to tilt and re-adjust itself flying normally in P & T modes and slowly (but steady lol) you are directing the conversation to extreme angles and stick movements / acrobatics... admit defeat and move on!
2019-5-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 5-13 23:24
Enrico AJ has already replied to you in a very simple and understandable way... and yet you continue to be stuck in your original theory.

YES there's a limit on the gimbal movement and that is obviously influenced by the position of the drone in relation to the horizontal level and YES the gimbal will auto adjust itself when reaching the limits. This happens in SPORT mode.

Good find - thanks for sharing. I rest my case!
2019-5-14
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

The problem with the dji intelligent flight controllers could be that maybe that they have more intelligence than some operators
2019-5-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Boffin Posted at 5-14 01:06
The problem with the dji intelligent flight controllers could be that maybe that they have more intelligence than some operators

Hahaha, good one mate ;)
2019-5-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your big mistake here is you don’t want to understand why this happens and the fact it happens with all mavic2 , in both high wind and sport mode the pitch angle of the craft changes to cope with the speed and the change in head wind. So to compensate for this change in pitch the gimbal also changes it’s position, it’s quite simple, it was also a change brought to both Mavic Air and M2 to improve its capabilities flying in both sport mode and flying into the wind.

Many orignal Mavic s were lost to the wind because of their inability to cope with headwinds in a RTH situation and users flying into headwinds in P mode, I for one am grateful for this change in how craft behaves in sport and RTH P mode in windy conditions.

If when filiming this is happening to your craft then there is something wrong with it and it’s not behaving as it should.

Exercise try flying fast in sport mode, try manually moving gimbal up at the same time, you will get a real good view of your props because of the pitch of your craft, so this would render footage useless.

But stop and think about it you can still film in sport mode but just at a different angle, if this is not the angle you want to film at, you can simply change it by flying higher.
There is no substitute for thinking, in old dji craft like Mavic Pro p3/P4 it was impossible to get footage in sport mode without props in shot or those ugly lines caused by props while flying towards the sun.

You can now film in sport mode without getting props in the shot, those ugly lines caused by the props and sun are gone, every cloud has a silver lining .
2019-5-14
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

if you fly back to P gimbal mode (cam horizontal 0 °) at full speed and then release the trigger the cam goes/jump down to -7 / -9. Usually you make gimbal shots that look down, for that you don't realize, with those degrees and the gimbal moves without jumps.this month we tried 5 more and all have this behavior. and with last year we will have seen more or less 40

2019-5-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules